User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2nd try at training...

I've read every post that seemed relevant to my situation, but maybe I can squeeze a bit more wisdom out of y'all. I know this is long, but I need a lot of help!
I am a 25 yr old single female, no kids. My father's driven for 30 years, and my mother drove team with him a while back for one year. I got a job at a trucking company as a log auditing clerk and decided I could Absolutely be a trucker.
I looked into schools (like the one my mom went to, which doesn't exist anymore) and realized I couldn't afford to take 8 weeks without a paycheck. Also nothing at any community colleges or such. I found Schneider's training to be pretty highly regarded and only 2 weeks long, so I gave it a shot. My plan was to find a team driver and be out OTR 3-4 weeks at a time. Oddly enough, I ran into a friend from back home at Schnieder and we agreed to team. He left at the end of the first week- said he couldn't do it- trucking- afterall. I got really nervous, and started a major backslide. My confidence went *kerplunk*. Also, I had never driven anything with a manual trans, and Schneidy has NON-synchronized ten-speeds. Double clutch = double the screwups.
So now I owe them $3500, and I still don't have my CDL. I have all the regulations, rules, and even the pre-trip down pat.

So, I am wondering if anyone knows of a school that has auto-shift, because maybe I would be better getting confidence with the size of the vehicle, and all the intricacies of driving without worrying about shifting. I know I will have to learn manual, but I would like to try this first.

I found out Prime has a great program with 3 days in a class, and 4 weeks on the road with a trainer. They say you can have extra time if you need it, which, if I had another week at Schnieder I would have passed. But, Prime has manual trannys. US Xpress has trucks with auto shift, but require students graduate from a school first.

I'm also open to any advice on finding a partner, as I like the idea of two people for safety and more miles. I have a pretty simple set of needs from this career and any driving partner: I have to make $600/week, I don't need to be home but once a month or so, I don't smoke, but I don't mind a courteous smoker, music is not an issue- I'll be sleeping, and a shower every couple of days wouldn't hurt.

P.S. sizzle- I love your input on women in trucking!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So, I am wondering if anyone knows of a school that has auto-shift,
You might want to check what your state requirements are for your CDL testing. I am not 100% sure that EVERY state is, but MOST will require you to demonstrate double clutching when testing.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:59 PM

There are shortcuts into this industry, but at a price.

The best way to go is through a school first and then sign on with a company and take their additional training.

Unfortunatly most carriers are using standard non syncro transmissions, and you must learn how to operate these.

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."
Old 11-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Board Regular

My advice is don't quit trying to learn how to shift a 10 speed. I have been at this now going on 11 months now. When I got in my trainer's truck in Jan it was 2 months since I had graduated from school. Didn't think I could do it. It has been a struggle learning it but now that I am getting fairly accomplished at shifting (I still have my moments) I am proud that I stuck it out and have learned the skill. You WILL NOT have shifting down when you leave school. I even took my 2nd attempt for my CDL with a automatic and never thought I would ever drive a truck with a non sync transmission. It takes time, patience and practice. Going to a semi auto just reduces your abilities to drive what ever is handed to you.
Team driving with an non spouse is a good way to go into the poor house. I know that Brush Bunny will disagree with me on that note. I teamed with a classmate for 3 weeks. After splitting the pay I could hardly pay any bills. We split after only 3 weeks and he too was not well suited for driving.
Unfortunately you owe some money. Try a different company. I drive for Roehl and I think that they have a good school and good sucessful students coming out of it (I did not attend their school). I happen to know 2 drivers (one female and one male) that are driving and they have been happy with their training.
Don't let them take your dream away from you. You have taken a stumble. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and as the say goes... Get 'R' Done. You will feel so good when you challenge and win the challenge of the gears.

Soladad
Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
You WILL NOT have shifting down when you leave school.
Must be a problem with the school then. As I am in my third week of school most of which was teory, and I have 10 hours truck time and I have no problems shiting a 13 speed, even on inclines, and we are trained with 75,000 lbs in the trailers.

Still good advice to above, do not give up hope, double clutching and progressive shifting takes time and practice, most people need about seven hours to familiar with it, but not experts.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Board Regular

You must be a natural at picking up shifting. There is NOT a problem with a school when student does not come out accomplished with shifting. I am taking some offense here with your attitude. Men often have background that they can draw from when it comes to learning skills dealing with mechanical things. Women usually don't have the prior experience in life dealing with vehicles and mechanics. I have tons of knowledge of trucking but found some of the skills difficult to get a grip on when in school. My school is one of the better ones in Wisconsin and was an 8 week course.

Soladad
Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
You must be a natural at picking up shifting. There is NOT a problem with a school when student does not come out accomplished with shifting. I am taking some offense here with your attitude. Men often have background that they can draw from when it comes to learning skills dealing with mechanical things. Women usually don't have the prior experience in life dealing with vehicles and mechanics. I have tons of knowledge of trucking but found some of the skills difficult to get a grip on when in school. My school is one of the better ones in Wisconsin and was an 8 week course.

Soladad
Actually my driving partner is another student, and she is a female, and actually picked up shifting quicker than I did as she has no prior automobile standard shifting exp.

I meant no insult to you, but after reading a fair amount of posts in here, I see a lot of post of students not having the needed skills to land a job. Here in Canada, in Ontario alone 7 schools were closed due to poor training of students. Kinda irks me a bit to see good people spend a lot of money, and wind up with empty promises. Also another school here in my home town, had 4 out 0f 4 students fail their road test, while at my school (Ontario School Of Trucking) 12 out of 13 students passed their road test, so the school does play an important role in the students outcome, not as sole factor, but a major one though.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Rookie

I know you alrdy tried schneider and it didnt work out. But since you alrdy owe hem the money contact them again/ and ask if they can send you to carlise.That oc/school only trains auto's we have about 2500 autos in the fleet those students were gettting brand new tractors which beats the older1s you get from any of the other schools. May be worth checking into to see if you can get by without having to pay them that money. If you were near the atlanta area would be happy to help you learn to drive a standard. You only have o double clutch for the tests.... I never even use my clutch anymore can time rpms and sync the gears yourself. I found a local account wih schneider i reall enjoy. Home every day i get friday and saturday nights off and make a minimum of 700 a week. If miles/unload pays more then i get the high wage.

But I am sure ou can learn to shift if you keep your mind 2 it. Dont give up.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Rookie
Default Thank You

thanks you guys! I know I can do it, I am not giving up- no way in hell. Even though I didn't make it the first try, it sure made me stronger. I'm working 12 hour shifts in a factory now . (my muscles are huge I never thought I could do labor like this either.) Whenever I have a rough day, I just think about one day I'll be in a truck. Oddly, I wouldn't have learned so much about myself without failing....
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.