User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Clark State Comunity College

Has anyone took there class A CDL class ?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Board Regular
Default Plenty of book work and backing, too!

I graduated from there, a couple of months ago. They teach the Smith Driving System, and have a strong emphasis on safety.
I got plenty of practice with backing maneuvers, and the repetition needed for competence there. Our class had a nice trainer-to-student ratio...about 2-3 students per instructor. We switched up, and were able to learn different parts from the different instructors.
It's a pretty decent school and they have a simulator that helps get you used to the idea of shifting.
The instructors all have otr experience, and they use that experience to illustrate things they're teaching students.
It works...I am now employed, and in the middle of my weeks with my trainer!
Jewels 8)
Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Clark State has a pretty good program, the key is the low student to instructer ratio. There were a few days where there was like 3 students 2 trucks and we had 8 hours to pratice backing manuevers....by the time you got out of one truck the next one was coming and it was your turn again. They would take 4 students out on the road and leave 3-4 in the yard doing backing.

The biggest plus about Clark state is if you fail your CDL they make sure to give you more time in the truck and if you fail a 2nd time they will keep giving you plenty of help to make sure you pass. The group I was with had 10 people and I know that 9 out of 10 passed thier CDL. I had probably close to 55 hours behind the wheel at Clark State.