User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Spinning wheel chains & Rotella T Synthetic Motor Oil..

Just returned from the Expedite Expo, and wanted to ask a couple of questions about these two products. The first was a set of tire chains that spun around, beside each of the wheels, to serve as traction aids. The guy said that they'd do on occasions when you only had to chain one set of wheels. It was interesting looking, but I had my doubts on how effective they'd be.
Has anyone ever used these? Seen them? What are your thoughts on the feasibility of such chains? The presenter also mentioned that these could take care of the inside wheels, even if you had to throw chains on the outer ones. Just asking, in case I'm being that person who's too set in her ways to see the value of new technology!
The other product that caught my attention was the product display at the Rotella T booth. The presenter showed me the piston cylinders of a truck that had consistently used their product, and the machining grooves were still visible! Also, there was a side-by-side comparison of this product with a leading competitor's product--and after the test miles, this product had retained its viscosity noticeably better than the other! Question is, who's used the synthetic blend of Rotella T, and how has that worked out for you? Have you seen where there's less wear and tear, or where you have to use less than with the others? It made sense that such a formulation might work better on the engines with the particulate filters--since they have heat issues that need special care..
So, any thoughts on these two products would be appreciated!
Thanks~
Jewels
P.S., If this is in the wrong spot, forgive me. I wasn't sure where to put it!

Last edited by JewelsnTools; 07-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Regarding the Rotella Synthetic Blend, I have been sold on synthetics for quite a while. Use full synthetics in tranny, diffs, and grease. I use synthetic blend in my engine. I get a regional oil supplier labeled product for roughly $10.50 a gallon delivered to my door in a 55 drum. Spec sheets show similar to the Rotella label. I have around 750,000 miles on my current engine and the used oil samples show wear numbers that are comparible to an engine with less than half the age of this one. It gets in the mid 7's year round for fuel mileage as well. All due to synthetics? Who knows. But I would tend to agree that it has something to do with it.

Problem is, the big name oil brands are priced too high. Virtually all the base stock of engine oils is made at one place, Motiva in Port Arthur, TX. The majority of additive packages are made by an outfit called Infineum. All the various brand labels use the same base stocks. When you buy the big name brand, you are helping to pay for their advertising, race cars, & named entertainment at trucks shows. Fine if you like doing that, but I would rather pay only for the actual product.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I believe you're referring to Insta-Chains. Look under most any ambulance or fire engine (and under some school buses) and you'll see them. I've been told that they're decently effective for going forward in the snow, but I haven't heard much else.