User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dometic CoolFreeze CF-50 Portable Cooler / Refrigerator

This thing kicks butt! AC/DC power and freezer of fridge, your choice. It retails for as much as $1000 but I found it for under $600 at small place out of Knoxville that sells on Ebay as well. We’ve been using the Coleman style 12 volt coolers for years but they have a lot of limitations. They only cool the interior of the cooler to 30 – 35 degrees colder than the ambient temperature in the truck, so if you park and shut your truck off for a while and the sleeper heats up to 90 degrees, your cooler will warm up to 60 degrees, which is not good for your refrigerated food. Not so with the Dometic. It has a digital temperature display and push button settings that allow you to set the temp for anything from 0 degrees to 60 degrees, no matter how hot it is outside. We just spent seven weeks on the road with this baby and used it as a freezer set to 0 degrees. We kept the Coleman as a fridge, and found that we could eat for two weeks out of our truck without having to make a wal-mart run or resort to a truck stop. The temp in the freezer would climb to 9 degrees or so just after we would load it up, but before we knew it, the temp would be back down to 2 or 4 degrees. We actually started keeping frozen coconut fruit bars in the truck and they never once melted or got soft. When I got home, I took the freezer out of my truck and put it in my shop as a fridge and now I have a beer cooler for my Guinness! It draws very little power, I’m not sure exactly how much, but the DC plug only has a 7.5 amp fuse, so at max it’s pulling 90 watts of DC power. I went out to my shop this afternoon… it was 117 degrees inside, but my Guinness was 34 degrees inside the cooler. I’m sold on this thing and am looking at buying another one to replace the Coleman cooler we have in the truck. They’re expensive, but easily pay for themselves, as long as you cook in your truck and stay out of the truck stops.

Last edited by Musicman; 08-16-2009 at 07:32 AM.