User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default New Cobra GPS Mapping for Trucker's on the way----->

I just read an article in the RoadKing about a new mapping program coming soon, designed for Trucker's.
Siemens VDO has introduced it's truck navigation system currently on the market in Europe, and coming to the USA soon. It will be offered on the Cobra navigation systems.

Quote:
The system's operating software has been adapted so that its recommended routes take into account the vehicle's specific characteristics, such as height, width, weight, axle loads, hazardous materials class, and matches it with clearance heights, bridge weight restrictions, truck-prohibited roads, etc.

When setting his destination, the driver first enters his truck's vehicle-specific data. On the basis of this information, the navigation system only selects routes that present fewer problems for the vehicle. Also shown are such points of interest as truck stops, trucker-friendly resturants and service stations. A special reciever provides traffic information and can suggest an alternative route in case of congestion.
I'm using a DeLorme laptop program, and a new Garmin stand alone. Both are civilian based...so not really all that practical for a Trucker...but still a handy aid, long as you know how much is benificial.

PC Miler is also offering a program through Sprint (Nextel) cell phones, and I think the data can be streamed to your laptop.

At least the GPS industry is catching up to speed....and heading in the right direction. :lol: :?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That looks interesting. I'd check into a standalone unit when/if they're offered in the US. Right now I mainly use CoPilot Truck along with MS Streets & the MCRA.

Here's a link to that story: http://www.roadking.com/story.php?id=854
Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Board Icon

Thanks Bro!
Dang it...I coulda just posted this :lol:
I had to type it out too...thinking...where is the paste when you need it. :?

Anyway...I'm anxious for a Trucker map system on either my laptop, or the stand alone. I'm not real pleased with this Garmin 660...but I'm certain my Brother-in-law will love me for it. :lol:
He travels for his business from time to time. (Tool & Die) and drives an Isuzu Trooper.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 AM

this thing come out yet????
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I found this article:
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/au...e-retrofitting

Edit:
bah - I found some additional web pages and had them posted here. However, I hit the "back" button by accident and lost my edit...

If you do a Google search for "PC 5200 TSN", you'll see a link to the product page for the Siemens VDO truck navigation system. I couldn't find any price listings anywhere for this thing.

Note that the PC 5200 is a permanent mount unit, meaning that there's a "black box" that's mounted somewhere in the truck and then a cable connects to a touchscreen monitor (they list 3 or 4 different monitors). So, this unit is definitely geared towards an OEM installation or for an owner-operator.

They say in one article that they're also going to release a standalone unit (similar to a Garmin) that can be dash mounted.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Don't the CoPilot Truck do that already? I thought it did.
Thats what im looking into,But 1st i need to get me a laptop :lol:
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

CoPilot is marketed for trucks, but it cannot be relied on 100% (or any other package out there). I use CoPilot on a daily basis and love it. However, you have to be aware of it's shortcomings and double-check the routing to make sure that it won't get you into trouble.

Myself, as much as I like the idea of a standalone truck gps unit, I'll probably stick to the software based solutions. For what I have in my laptop, 7" touchscreen for the front of the truck and CoPilot, I can do thousands of things with the computer that you can't do on a dedicated unit.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
However, you have to be aware of it's shortcomings and double-check the routing to make sure that it won't get you into trouble.
I don't know if you've seen this yet, www.truckstopsplus.com. It's a new add-on template for streets & trips. Adds off the top of my head over 7250 stops including truck stops, truck stops with scales, Walmarts, rest areas, etc. But it also has a feature that allows you to check for restricted routes and low clearances right from your laptop screen regardless of an Internet connection. I love it, it's not only far easier, it's far faster. Now, if you run streets & trips, you don't even need to buy a MCRA or truck stop guides any longer. Nice having all those Walmart locations too and it's accurate so you can trust it.