User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help me with figure this out please.

I got my Class A CDL back in 08. Went to school to get it. Then went right to work. Then ended up getting an improper lane change in 08 in a Commercial Vehicle. Sucks. Then the following year 09 got charged with a DUI. Never convicted. It's still pending. Been in the courts going on 4 yrs. Probably gonna get dropped or reduced to a reckless. So I decided to get off the road in 09. Thinking it's over. Well since then drove a delivery rout for a yr. Straight truck automatic. Then proceeded with a career in the wrecking industry. To beat it all I'm in south FL. About as far south as you can go.So my actual OTR experience goes back to 09 and 8 months at that. I know I need to get in the truck with an experienced driver and knock the rust off, but do I have to much hanging over my head to get started back in this industry again? If not any legit pointers? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Rookie

The DUI charge was in a POV. I've talked to some companies. They seem to think it's not as big of a deal as I think it is and I can get back on the road. With a orientation and 2.5 weeks out with a Trainer driver. Does this sound about par?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM

a dui is a dui. pov=5yrs from "coviction" no-one can higher you. most will want it to be 10yrs old/cmv 1=10yrs, 2dui = life, reckless=3yrs from conviction date
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie

Thanks. Seems legit enough to me.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Rookie

As a side note, many companies, rather their (insurance) providers, have been dropping the "10-year" wait. They are starving for drivers out there. I've personally seen 2-5 years on DUI, 2-4 years on felonies, and even 2 preventable allowed, if in the last three year window...

Good luck, but best rule of thumb is always call and ask. The "ad" department, doesn't always get the "minimums" correct.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Rookie

So would you mind saying what company's your talking about when you say there dropping the time on the felonies. I have a possession charge that is 8 years old and having a he k of a time finding a company that might hire me.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Board Regular

This is old but youre real problem is you dont have very much experience, you have the dui and the possession. Im thinking the possession is the biggy companies are terrifiedof drugs. 2009 is probably too recent for a dui. Id bet it is already on your dac? You can get a copy of your dac report free. Sorry i dont have the link. The possession also depends on WHAT you possessed. If it was pot id imagine some companies may be willing to let it go. If it was crack or meth or heroin? No.. never.
You need to get the dui resolved. Noone is going to invest in a guy who may lose his license tomorrow. And get it dropped BELOW reckless no matter what it costs you. Pay an extra grand to your lawyer. Do whatever it takes that it doesnt show up as a reckless or a dui. The real problem is that ill bet the conviction date is the date it goes on your record. So basically you will show as getting a dui NOW.

Id suggest trying a big truck wrecking company. Seems like your experience converges. Or try a moving company.. but you WILL be lifting a lot of heavy stuff (i liked that part).