Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Detroit 60 randomly will not start (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/23749-detroit-60-randomly-will-not-start.html)

stranger 01-15-2007 06:30 AM

I would bet on metal shaving on the sensors, either from the bull gears, or the accessory drive bearings going bad and dropping metal in the pan.

Check for looseness in the accessory drive pulley with the belt off. Oil leakage around the accessory drive will also be a sigh of bad bearings.

Or, the sensor could have just been bad, or if metal was present, it could just be normal build up from age and miles.

Glad it is fixed.

bob h 01-15-2007 11:56 PM

I would bet on metal shaving on the sensors, either from the bull gears, or the accessory drive bearings going bad and dropping metal in the pan.

Check for looseness in the accessory drive pulley with the belt off. Oil leakage around the accessory drive will also be a sigh of bad bearings.

exactly.

or..., a good tech will find the chunks in the pan while draining the engine oil

Or, the sensor could have just been bad, or if metal was present, it could just be normal build up from age and miles.

the filings can mess up the sensor's signal

metal build-up from "age and miles" should be removed by oil/filter changes

Glad it is fixed.

""

banditt11 01-16-2007 05:40 PM

Ok I just got back with the Freightliner repair facility that did my repair for the no start problem. It was explained to me that the SRS sensor was not sending a signal because of bad windings in the sensor. It was noted there was no noticable metal on that magnetic sensor and that it was specifically the winding inside and was told in all probability that constant heat for as old as it was was the reason for failure. As for the other sensor (TRS) they replace it as a precaution. That is fine with me as the parts only ran 60.00 and 44.00 respectivly. Better safe than sorry far as I'm concerned. :wink:

stranger 01-18-2007 04:58 AM

Good deal. If one was bad then the other probably was not far behind.

Glad to hear there was no noticeable metal. Sounds like you are good to go.

Blue Heeler 01-22-2007 04:00 PM

I have a Star with the Detroit 60 that when ever it feels like it, it takes about 20+ seconds to crank. this ONLY happens after the truck sits over night. some mornings it starts like it cant wait to run, & some mornings it is a bear to start. temp. has nothing to do with it. 20* or if it sits until late afternoon in the summer @ 90*. I was thinking about the fuel loosing it's prime but it's done it for over 2 years & has not gotten any worse.

bob h 01-22-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Heeler
I have a Star with the Detroit 60 that when ever it feels like it, it takes about 20+ seconds to crank. this ONLY happens after the truck sits over night. some mornings it starts like it cant wait to run, & some mornings it is a bear to start. temp. has nothing to do with it. 20* or if it sits until late afternoon in the summer @ 90*. I was thinking about the fuel loosing it's prime but it's done it for over 2 years & has not gotten any worse.

does it smoke?

Blue Heeler 01-22-2007 05:02 PM

when it's cold, but it does not make any difference if it is an easy start or a hard start. one thing I have found that helps "some times" is if I crank it for about 3-5 seconds then stop then another 3-5 she may fire up. but when I say it starts fast I mean as soon as the hits the start position if starts, it's that fast, even in the cold (for the south).

banditt11 01-23-2007 02:22 AM

I have had mine fixed for a couple of weeks now and it starts just as soon as I touch the starter. Couple of times it was in the upper teens. No hesitation or anything. What a relief from what I was going thru before. I finally tossed the ether cans :D

Frank

heavyhaulerss 02-01-2007 06:08 AM

o.k. my turn...i have similiar problem. my truck is almost impossible to start. but only when temp is cold. 40 or colder. but if it plugged up it cranks up quick no matter how cold it is outside. if not plugged up & cold, it will eventually crank but will sputter shake, rattle & roll before leveling out & sounds like it's missing on every cylinder for 3 -5 seconds before reaching that normal motor sound... o.k now bob.. do your stuff.. tell me something. already changed back fuel check thingy..

bob h 02-01-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
o.k. my turn...i have similiar problem. my truck is almost impossible to start. but only when temp is cold. 40 or colder. but if it plugged up it cranks up quick no matter how cold it is outside. if not plugged up & cold, it will eventually crank but will sputter shake, rattle & roll before leveling out & sounds like it's missing on every cylinder for 3 -5 seconds before reaching that normal motor sound... o.k now bob.. do your stuff.. tell me something. already changed back fuel check thingy..

i'll assume it's an s60?

check for fuel in the oil... again, does it smoke when it does fire up? does it smoke during cranking?