User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking to buy ... Volvo N770

A used Volvo VNL 770 .. 2000 lease return @ 480k miles. Cummins N-14 Chemistry is good, compression is good. Valves were theoretically adjusted in 2009 @ 420k. Has decent maintenance records (for whatever thats worth)

What else to look for on this rig?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Those are very low miles for a 12 year old truck. I would check the ECM to make sure the miles are correct. I would also see if the maintenance records are available. You could have an oil analysis and dyno the engine. Check king pins, suspension and bushings, drive train, etc., If those are the original miles the truck should have a lot of life left before anything major. On the other hand, when a truck sits, things can go down from not being used. If you decide to persue the truck you may want to take it to a shop and have it checked. Better yet, take your own mechanic to the truck. It can be very well worth the cost of having it checked.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Rookie

What passes for records seems to suggest its first 300k was within 5 years of its life, then it appears to have < 5k a year tapering off pretty quickly to only a few thousand a year over the last of its years .. According to seller folkore it went from OTR to local as his business changed. I have the oil analysis and a mechanic has looked at it -- deeming it drivable after new tires, fluids (from age) and filter are replaced. The million dollar question out to the intertubes is if there are specific things other operators know to look for in this rig, otherwise I think I've done about as much diligence as can be done.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

also check how many hours are on the motor.. if it all checks.. i say good to go.. and why cant i find a deal like that?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the kind advise folks.. I'm going for it. Its only money (which is what I tell my wife anyway)