User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Intermittent start on Detroit Series 60

On my 99 KW with a Series 60 engine, at times and very random, I will turn the key to START and nothing.
No click, no sound..zip. Does this hot or cold.

If I back off and turn it again, it will usually then turn over and very quickly. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Replaced all batteries. (4 new AGM 1200CCA each)
2. Replaced all cables to batteries.
3. Cleaned connections inside stair area.
4. Cleaned all connections on Delco Starter.
5. Cleaned all connections on Delco piggyback solenoid.
6. Replaced ignition switch and cleaned all connections.
7. Made sure everything is tight and sprayed with anti-corrosive.

...not sure what else to look at. If I heard a click and nothing, then I might suspect the starter perhaps.

Does anyone know if there is an additional solenoid after the ignition switch, perhaps on the firewall or ?
- thats the only thing I can think of before up and replacing the Delco starter and piggyback solenoid.

Anyone have any thoughts as to anything I may have overlooked?

-JK
Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 AM

Any suggestions? Anyone? I replaced my starter a couple months ago on my International with an ISX, not for the above problem, the starter was going. Now just recently a few times I've had the same problem; "I will turn the key to START and nothing. No click, no sound..zip." After a few times trying I wait a minute, try again and it starts normally like nothing was ever wrong.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Rookie

Wow. Seems we are in the same boat. It was suggested to replace the Starter relay next. Turns out I did that in July 2010.
That wasn't it of course. $58....

Now I am down to the Starter and/or Starter (piggy back) solenoid.

A new starter will run me about $285, which isn't the end of the world but if that's not it - whats next?

Perhaps re-run new wire from the ignition key to the starter relay and then from the relay to the solenoid.
Since once it cranks, she spins over very fast, I have to assume and presume the main cables feeding the starter
are in good shape. Even when temps are in the teens - she turns over really fast.

If it's any consolation, Roehl had this same issue on a Freightshaker with a DD-60 in it and did all of this and more
and still couldn't get rid of the intermittent no-start.

Barf (heh), at least you have already replaced the most expensive part (except the batteries).

In your case, look at the starter RELAY as the next possible culprit. They have a disc in them and it can get brittle over time
and act like this....

Best of luck-
Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 AM

I know some trucks have an independent solenoid, It's like the solenoid on a ford, on big trucks it has one lug that goes to the starter hot lug and one that goes to the starter solenoid small terminal. That would be the two big lugs. then the small one goes to the switch. It is usually mounted on the frame close to the starter, when you turn the key or push the button the solenoid energizes which in turn energizes the solenoid on the starter. If the small ford style solenoid is bad it will act exactly like you are saying. In fact I had a truck that didn't have the small solenoid and would not start from time to time and I installed a solenoid into the system and never had a problem with it starting again. I hope I'm not confusing you, if so I'll try to explain it better.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks Moe and JKenworth. Truck is going in to shop when I'm done this trip for a few things. I'm bringing up the intermittent non-start but I can mention the solenoid like I know what I'm talking about. I was thinking (but hoping not) that it's some gremlin wiring problem that could take hours to diagnose, and my local shop would tell me it has to go to International. I hope it is just a solenoid. A dead spot on the new starter crossed my mind, but then why after a minute would it start no-problem? And I did replace the batteries same time as the starter!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post
Thanks Moe and JKenworth. Truck is going in to shop when I'm done this trip for a few things. I'm bringing up the intermittent non-start but I can mention the solenoid like I know what I'm talking about. I was thinking (but hoping not) that it's some gremlin wiring problem that could take hours to diagnose, and my local shop would tell me it has to go to International. I hope it is just a solenoid. A dead spot on the new starter crossed my mind, but then why after a minute would it start no-problem? And I did replace the batteries same time as the starter!
It's not a dead spot on the starter, if it was you'd still hear a click. To me it sounds like a bad connection on the starter switch itsel or following that wire it may be a bad connection on the above mentioned selanoid.
Try your best to run it down yourself, a shop is going to bend you over
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

I would run a couple test wires to lights in the dash. That way you can know where the power stops. Put one between the key switch and relay, and one between the relay and the starter solenoid. Next time it doesn't start make sure to keep the key on "start" and look at the lights.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Senior Board Member

get the no reply on my t408 bout once a mth 2nd turn of key it jumps into life so not to worried
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Rookie

There is another relay switch mounted on the front inside wall of the battery box(next to the ammeter shunt and the main circuit breaker). Did you change it? Sometimes they stick, banging on the front of the battery box,while turning the key will sometimes work.