User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Possibly water in fuel??

Truck has been running great...all of a sudden I notice that it's lacking some power and idling really rough. Just a sudden thing..didn't happen over time. So I took the fuel filter off and poured some Liquid Muscle into another fuel filter and put it back on. I didn't have any diesel to put into the filter. Been about 4 hours now and it's still idling pretty rough...the truck stop I got my fuel at has been known to have water at times, and I got fuel there twice today. So...wondering if it'ts probably water in it making it idle that rough or possibly something else? I dont have any check engine lights on or anything, just vibrating and idling rough. I also poured some FPTF stuff in the tanks that's supposed to remove water. Wondering how long it takes water to get out of the system....

Also, can you overuse fuel additives? I put fuel additives in my truck regulary. Will this cause any problems?

3406 E model CAT.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 AM

Carefuly check the exhaust manifold temp right at the head for each cylinder, if one is cooler you may have a nmisfiring injector from water, fuel additive or both.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyky00 View Post
Truck has been running great...all of a sudden I notice that it's lacking some power and idling really rough. Just a sudden thing..didn't happen over time. So I took the fuel filter off and poured some Liquid Muscle into another fuel filter and put it back on. I didn't have any diesel to put into the filter. Been about 4 hours now and it's still idling pretty rough...the truck stop I got my fuel at has been known to have water at times, and I got fuel there twice today. So...wondering if it'ts probably water in it making it idle that rough or possibly something else? I dont have any check engine lights on or anything, just vibrating and idling rough. I also poured some FPTF stuff in the tanks that's supposed to remove water. Wondering how long it takes water to get out of the system....

Also, can you overuse fuel additives? I put fuel additives in my truck regulary. Will this cause any problems?

3406 E model CAT.
Remove the fuel filter, slowly pour the fuel into a white container (or, the palm of your hand) and watch for globules or what appears to be bubbles sitting in the bottom of the container. Water does not easily mix with fuel, so it settles to the bottom, as it will also do in the bottom of your fuel tank (check the bottom of the tank with a flashlight). If your fuel is cloudy, non-transparent, or discoloured can also indicate a fuel supply problem. Also, check for fuel in your anti-freeze. Engine light on?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Well, I found the problem. Injector #5 was bad. Apparently the rocker shaft broke off and went down into the engine?? At first they said I would need a new camshaft, but it's not damaged. I just need 2 valve bridges, 3 rocker levers and the injector....fun fun!!!!

Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyky00 View Post
Well, I found the problem. Injector #5 was bad. Apparently the rocker shaft broke off and went down into the engine?? At first they said I would need a new camshaft, but it's not damaged. I just need 2 valve bridges, 3 rocker levers and the injector....fun fun!!!!

Thanks for the help!!
That sucks,bet you wish it had been a water problem huh,
Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Rookie

Oh yeah...water would have def. been a cheaper problem to fix!!