User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Motor Madness

I was reading about Torsional Dampers in, The Performance Zone, in 10-4 Magazine, by Bruce Mallinson of Pittsburg Power.
I did ask, the service manager at the stealership, about the damper wearing out, and they told me it never wears out, and I also asked the service manager at the manufacturer, and they told me the same thing.
Well by reading what Bruce say's, that the Damper does wear out, and should be replaced at about 500,000 mile, causes problems with the clutch springs, and especially the crankshaft.
I was wandering if anybody has seen or heard of the damper being a problem, and was definitivley the cause of/ or was the problem?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmax View Post
I was reading about Torsional Dampers in, The Performance Zone, in 10-4 Magazine, by Bruce Mallinson of Pittsburg Power.
I did ask, the service manager at the stealership, about the damper wearing out, and they told me it never wears out, and I also asked the service manager at the manufacturer, and they told me the same thing.
Well by reading what Bruce say's, that the Damper does wear out, and should be replaced at about 500,000 mile, causes problems with the clutch springs, and especially the crankshaft.
I was wandering if anybody has seen or heard of the damper being a problem, and was definitivley the cause of/ or was the problem?
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
You know..That is a great question.

I have heard that the dang things wear out...and thought that the guy telling me so was carazy. However...it leaves lot's of room for thought and discussion.

Maybe one of the mechanics of the bunch will drop by and enlighten us!! :bow::bow:
Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

It's true.

Older Mack engines were especially susceptible to the broken crankshaft syndrome caused by a defective damper, but any engine can suffer damage from undampened torsional vibration.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmax View Post

Viscous vibration dampers are generally used on big bore diesels. They are replaced; 1. if they are dented, bent, leaking fluid, or physically damaged. 2. if your crankshaft has broken. 3. during an engine overhaul..., this is one engine manufacturers recommendation that is more often ignored than followed. I've replaced more dampers for vibration diagnosis than anything else... and, those were few and far between.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Cool, Thank You Guys.