User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default PTO/Transmission/Mount Location Question

Please excuse my lack of knowledge thusfar on this topic, it will improve. ops:

I will probably have a PTO installed on my truck soon, it will power a dry-bulk blower. Truck is a 99 International 9200, Super 10 Trans.

As I look at the transmission from the rear, the left side of the rear of the trans is mostly obstructed by two long air tanks it appears would prevent locating the PTO shaft behind that side of the trans, unless the airtanks were somehow re-located. However, the right side of the rear of the trans (to the right of the drive shaft) is un-obstructed and there is a small, roundish plate on the right-rear of the trans that is about 4" in diameter with irregular shaped edges but roughly 4" "across. The plate is held on by four bolts. I'm hoping this would be the connection point for the PTO shaft. Anyone know if I'm seeing this correctly?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Rookie

not 100% on this red-clay, but i don't think that is the appropriate mounting location for the pto unit. i have an eaton 10, and my pto is mounted driver side with eight bolts directly under the tranny, so that the mounting area is parallel with the ground. i had to re-locate at least one air tank in the mounting process. blower is mounted driver side. most are.

i did see a smaller plate, with six bolts, located on the pass. side of the tranny, but i am not sure what the purpose of this plate/area is. the plate is not parallel to the ground, so i would not run a dry-bulk blower drive line out of this area even if i could because it would create a really awkward and problematic drive line angle. who knows, could be for a smaller pto, maybe used to power an end-dump or little pump for fuel/hot oil trucks.

hope this was helpful. let me know if you have any other questions, dry bulk is my thing.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Board Regular

Thanks tankyanker, very helpful info. I'll look underneath for the point you mention. Maybe the shaft can run underneath the air tanks. And yes, I might have a few more questions along the way. :wink:

Edit- I found the plate you are speaking of, and now feel like an idiot for asking about the other plate :lol: Looks like at least one or both airtanks will need to be moved to the right side but that's ok, I prefer having the blower on the driver's side so maybe a spare tire carrier and storage box can be mounted on the right side frame.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Rookie

ok, i have clarification. i went up to the truck with a friend to adjust my clutch and took a good look at everything.

i have two four bolt plates on my tranny, like you described, but they are on the back-side of the transmission, on either side of the slip yoke, and i do not know the purpose of these plates.

the pto is a gear driven unit, air activated, that will transfer torque from the transmission to turn or power the pto shaft that services your accessory. my friend said that a pto can be mounted to either the eight bolt pattern on the very bottom, driver side of the tranny or the six bolt pattern on the lower passenger side area. the same pto cannot be mounted both places; the location you prefer will determine the type/size of pto unit that you need to find and mount.

the eight bolt location is larger allowing you to use a larger, more heavy duty pto unit that can safely handle/process more torque. this location is used for mounting pto's that will service end dump applications and it is the location i see used most often for mounting pto's that service dry-bulk blowers. my friend stressed that, whichever location you choose, the important thing is to make sure that the pto drive-line (as it runs from the unit to the blower) is balanced, as straight as possible, and rotates with as little vibration as possible when engaged. this will reduce stress on the u-joints and carrier bearing, extending their life.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Most PTO units installed on Eaton Fuller transmissions use the 8 bolt SAE mounting on the bottom of the case.

Those "plates" you speak of on the rear of the trans are the countershaft bearing retainer caps, not a PTO mounting point.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Board Regular

Thanks again. I have the 8-bolt mount on the bottom driver's side.

The company I plan to lease to has company trucks also and their shop can do the installation for me, or I can have it done elswhere, I'll probably use their shop which is convenient and work that is done frequently there.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Most PTO units installed on Eaton Fuller transmissions use the 8 bolt SAE mounting on the bottom of the case.

Because of the speed the dry bulk blower has to run the ONLY place is on the bottom, I believe you will need a 200% PTO, not really sure on the percent of overdrive.

I run a 135% PTO on the bottom for my air compressor, and a 95% PTO on the side for my pump, the air comp needs 1100 RPM, while the pump only needs 650%.

I can run both at their proper speed with the engine at 700 RPM
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 AM

the plates with 4 bolts are most likly for gear shafts and bering removel when rebuilding
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner
the plates with 4 bolts are most likly for gear shafts and bering removel when rebuilding
Looks like someone wasn't reading the previous posts in this thread.