User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anyone maintain there own engine

Hello everyone new owner operator here! Just purchased a 2001 IH 9400 eagle w/N-14 cleect motor.Supposed to have 460 hp,with 13 speed.Question is has anyone done own engine and other maintenace on there truck.I think I can manage with oil change,don't know how much oil it takes for change though.What about fuel filter and filter dryer for brakes,wheres that located?Trans. have any filters,would think not with maunual shift,but what type oil and where to check.
Also it has 945,000 miles on it don't take any oil,runs good,owner before said never dropped pan to check bearings and IH dealer said they don't do that anymore,engine is to reliable,whats everyones imput on that? I could prob. do but taking everyones word as long as you take care of them they'll go along ways.I heard these are good motors and truck is too,what do you say about that?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM

An N-14 takes 11 U.S. Gallons of oil, one fuel filter, one oil filter, one water filter. Air Dryer for the brakes shoould be under the hood on the side of the frame rail or in between the chassis frame rails under the cab.

Manual trans has no filter. Trans uses either 20,30,or 40W SAE oil or you can use gear oil.

Rod and Main Bearings should have been changed at half a million miles. That usually cost around $700.00.

I have a 2001 Volvo 770 with a N-14 500hp, 13spd. great motor, nothing majorly wrong, just replaced the oil pressure sensor, it went out without warning. When that goes out your engine will go into limp mode and you will not be able to drive it long before the ECM cuts the power out because the ECM thinks your engine has no oil pressure.

If you still have the original one or you don't know if it has ever been replaced I would buy one for a spare because when it goes out it will leave you stranded, pricey part though $183.00, screws into the side of your block, takes five minutes to R&R.

I try to do most of my engine work myself but I pay a shop to change my oil and filters, too messy for me.

You want to change your coolant filter every third oil change. It has SCA additives in their to keep your coolant fresh and protect your cylinder liners.

Good Luck and If I think of anything else I will post it.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks eno

I was told they don't pull the pan for bearings anymore,this was at a IH dealer,just not required with newer engines and if taken care of real good,so it worries me know that something could go wrong,hoping not!Whats it cost for oil check?That should tell a person more of whats going on inside right?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Thanks eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainhauler08
I was told they don't pull the pan for bearings anymore,this was at a IH dealer,just not required with newer engines and if taken care of real good,so it worries me know that something could go wrong,hoping not!Whats it cost for oil check?That should tell a person more of whats going on inside right?
That statement from that dealer would cement my decision not to go back there. Ever. Yes, the N14 is a solid, reliable engine, no doubt there. But at that mileage, those bearings are worn out. Guaranteed, no matter how good the maintenance has been. Speedco does onsite oil analysis for 14.95. Not as detailed as a lab, but serves the purpose just for general knowledge.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102
Quote:
That statement from that dealer would cement my decision not to go back there. Ever. Yes, the N14 is a solid, reliable engine, no doubt there. But at that mileage, those bearings are worn out. Guaranteed, no matter how good the maintenance has been. Speedco does onsite oil analysis for 14.95. Not as detailed as a lab, but serves the purpose just for general knowledge.

I agree, first chance you get you should replace your bearings, cheap insurance vs. spinning a bearing and breaking down.

It sounds like your engine is good, so replace bearings and you should be good for at least another half mil or more before you need a inframe.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Rookie
Default whats the cost

of replacing bearings on the n-14?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 AM
Board Regular

Yep. I don't care what kind of engine you have. At those miles, for all intents and purposes, THOSE BEARINGS ARE WORN OUT.

Roll in a new set and ride on!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

N14s have had some issues with main cap fretting... so, I believe they should at least be checked at a 1/2 million.

A properly maintained lube system/engine will show very little wear on bearings, maybe re-useable.

On some big bore diesels we don't even change main bearings at overhaul unless they've experienced some sort of oil contamination.