User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Synthetic Gear Oil

I wanted to change out my transmission oil and wanted to go with synthetic oil. Where could I get some 5 gallon pails for a decent price? How much should I look into spending for changing out the transmission oil? I would like to hear your experiences with synthetic compared to dino oil. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Synthetic Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips2002
I wanted to change out my transmission oil and wanted to go with synthetic oil. Where could I get some 5 gallon pails for a decent price? How much should I look into spending for changing out the transmission oil? I would like to hear your experiences with synthetic compared to dino oil. Thanks.
very simple; go to a truck shop, or even better a transmission shop. go look for the guy that rebuilds the stuff. ask him to show you the difference between synthetic and dino... he will probably show you a pinion gear set, where one is noticeably worn and the other appears to be new --- the one that looks new used synthetic oil, the other used dino --- there is no comparison;;;, in gear boxes, synthetic is #1, that's why eaton and A-M tripled their trans/diff warranties in the mid-nineties... as long as it was maintained always with synth.

now... engine oil lives in a completely different environment, and the decision is far more complicated ;0)

oh... one other thing --- compare the cost of the 2... along with the recommended service intervals, and you'll likely find that it costs less in the long run.

IMO - good, sound investment.