Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Werner Questions (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32635-werner-questions.html)

jollyvolly107 02-26-2008 10:23 PM

Werner Questions

So i have questions about werner, and the website isn't very helpful. Hometime, pay, training, and i was curious if anyone from Werner lives here in Allendale? I see the trucked parked there, but any help would be nice

CrazyTulip 02-26-2008 10:32 PM

The website isn't helpful and neither are they. Run very FAST and look elsewhere.

WOLF RIVER 02-26-2008 10:44 PM

They came into school today for their presentation. Well I should have worn wadders. Since I havent put their application in circular file yet I still have the midwests rep. phone number pm me if you want it. It goes in the garbage in the morning.

02-26-2008 11:57 PM

Werner in he Indusrty is called THE BIG BLUE SCREW. They got that name for screwing their drivers anyway and everyway possible sans lube while using sandpaper as a condom.

WOLF RIVER 02-26-2008 11:59 PM

Here read this current topic on the newbies forum - it should answer all you need to know

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=32630

TGTLLC 02-27-2008 12:28 AM

i am still not sure why one would want to run for a company that uses electronic logs. seems to me that you could only be hindering you self by not knowing how to use a paper log much like USX with there auto trannys.

maybe some one could chime in here and answer this for me but why would 1 want to limit them self to things of this nature?

CrazyTulip 02-27-2008 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by TGTLLC:
i am still not sure why one would want to run for a company that uses electronic logs. seems to me that you could only be hindering you self by not knowing how to use a paper log much like USX with there auto trannys.

maybe some one could chime in here and answer this for me but why would 1 want to limit them self to things of this nature?

:?: What do log books have in common with automatic trucks? I drive one, I was also thinking the same you're probably thinking about automatics right now, but once I got used to it I really don't know why I complained so much about it upfront. It's actually a lot less tiring to drive and less stress on your body. Now I wouldn't want to go back.

TGTLLC 02-27-2008 02:40 AM

that have nothng in common with log books what i ment to say was why would one drive an auto matcic truck out of school with out having the proper training driving a manual first. seems to me like one could hinder them selfes in the future that all.

i guess i just poasetd it to fast and didnt break it up.

and yes i have drivin an auto beofre and there ok but i like to shift for my self not let the truck do it for me but i do see where an auto serves a good purpose i am just not understanding why a company would do that to new drivers.

i think we should have them in standard shift trannys so they can atleast get the chance to learn to properly shift a truck before giving them autos.

once they can completely get the understanding of the manual trannys they will be able ot take that on to there future jobs instead of possably having ot learn to shift a manual tranny on the spot so to speek.

sorry for the confusion just wanted to clear this up.

CrazyTulip 02-27-2008 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TGTLLC:
that have nothng in common with log books what i ment to say was why would one drive an auto matcic truck out of school with out having the proper training driving a manual first. seems to me like one could hinder them selfes in the future that all.

i guess i just poasetd it to fast and didnt break it up.

and yes i have drivin an auto beofre and there ok but i like to shift for my self not let the truck do it for me but i do see where an auto serves a good purpose i am just not understanding why a company would do that to new drivers.

i think we should have them in standard shift trannys so they can atleast get the chance to learn to properly shift a truck before giving them autos.

once they can completely get the understanding of the manual trannys they will be able ot take that on to there future jobs instead of possably having ot learn to shift a manual tranny on the spot so to speek.

sorry for the confusion just wanted to clear this up.

Well with that I agree. If you cannot completely drive a truck the proper way it'll be hard if they ever want to move from an 'automatic' company to a regular one. I'd say they'd fail the road test then anyways as they wouldn't know how to drive stick shift.

I drove stick shift and have been driving automatic for a year and a half now and even I would have to get used to stick shift again if that ever happened, but at least I'd know how. :D

dle 02-27-2008 03:10 PM

Pay, Hometime is determined by what fleet you are in and which board you are on within that fleet.

Training is about 275 hours long, quality :roll: :roll: let's just say a goodly number of the entries in my bad trainer list (on my web site) came from my wife's and others experiences with werner trainers. If you really want me to, I can look to see If I still have my handbook.

CrazyTulip 02-27-2008 03:34 PM

NOOO you REALLY don't want dle to look for the handbook! :lol: Go somewhere else please! At least give yourself a shot at starting a nice driving career and you might actually enjoy it if you don't go to a company which doesn't have a good name in the industry to begin with.

ekaddon 02-27-2008 04:34 PM

Thought id chime in on the werner screws post we got going here since im currently working for werner. About the log issue, while your training its mandatory to do a paper log in addition to the computer logs so that you know how to do paper logs.

btw, if I know what driving for werner would be like, I would rather haul trash trucks, dump trucks, anything.

for hometime, its 1 day home per 1 week out, but if ur out more then 3-4 weeks dont expect it to stack. So if your out 6 weeks and want 6 days off ur fleet manager will tear u a new one.

TGTLLC 02-27-2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ekaddon:

btw, if I know what driving for werner would be like, I would rather haul trash trucks, dump trucks, anything.

my post was not ment as a screw werner post and i am glad they atleast make you fill a paper log out. while 6 weeks training time to me is not suffecent enough time to completely learn how to fill a log out properly at least they are showing some authority in this matter by making new drivers at least get the hang of doing a paper log book.

jollyvolly107 02-27-2008 07:48 PM

that is why in ask questions on CAD because you get the answer you are lookin for and not some run around. Thanks guys, i was asking the question more out of curiousity because i see the truck sitting down the road from home and i was wondering what the deal was. thanks again PS i am a skateboard puller at heart!

dle 02-28-2008 01:22 AM

BTW, i'm no longer with the blue screw.

The last time i saw that book, it was being used to prop up furniture.

Drew10 02-28-2008 02:29 AM

Just to "chime" in on the "paper logs" aspect of Werner, and to clarify. You only have to do a paper logs during your training, and its done in conjunction with the paperless.
All qualified drivers carry a paperlog in the truck. Its only to be used in the event the qualcom on the truck should fail. Then the paperlog is used till you can be routed to a terminal to have the qualcomm fixed.
Ive been with Werner 6yrs, and 4 trucks, qualcom failed 1 time on my 3rd truck. Had to go with paperlogs for 4 days. It was not an easy transition, couldnt wait for the qualcom to be repaired.
I have my opinions of paperlogs, and there effective usefulness in todays trucks. Paperless logs work very well when the company using them is all geared to there use. Makes dispatch much easier and efficient. IMO.

TGTLLC 02-28-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Drew10:
Just to "chime" in on the "paper logs" aspect of Werner, and to clarify. You only have to do a paper logs during your training, and its done in conjunction with the paperless.
All qualified drivers carry a paperlog in the truck. Its only to be used in the event the qualcom on the truck should fail. Then the paperlog is used till you can be routed to a terminal to have the qualcomm fixed.
Ive been with Werner 6yrs, and 4 trucks, qualcom failed 1 time on my 3rd truck. Had to go with paperlogs for 4 days. It was not an easy transition, couldnt wait for the qualcom to be repaired.
I have my opinions of paperlogs, and there effective usefulness in todays trucks. Paperless logs work very well when the company using them is all geared to there use. Makes dispatch much easier and efficient. IMO.

well i guess we will have to agree to disagree.. i honestly dont see why running electronic logs has to be the norm.

maybe i just like it old school cause i would prefur to use paper logs.

i have never used a paperless system but to be it seems liek with paperless you would have a hard time figureding your time away from home.

i guess i just like the securtiy of a peice of paper incase an audit from the IRS were to come. very little chance of it but i would rather be prepaired.

altho i can see where they have a purpose i just dont see it a purpose with the "rookie" drivers.

i honestly dont see this becomming the normal thing but i could be wrong i just think that a person should to taught to do a log book properly and be made to do so at least on a monthly basis to make sure he/she satys current and understands the process needed for filling a log out properly.

CrazyTulip 02-28-2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dle:
BTW, i'm no longer with the blue screw.

The last time i saw that book, it was being used to prop up furniture.

:lol: Yeah so why would you make a piece of furniture in your house unstable again dle? Sounds like you found a perfect spot for it!

fireman932003 02-28-2008 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by :
i guess i just like the securtiy of a peice of paper incase an audit from the IRS were to come. very little chance of it but i would rather be prepaired.

That is why every month they send you a copy of all your logs in the mail so that you can have them for your records. I loved the paperless logs. I only had a problem a few times but, a Macro to the logs dept fixed that!

Drew10 02-28-2008 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by fireman932003:

Originally Posted by :

That is why every month they send you a copy of all your logs in the mail so that you can have them for your records. I loved the paperless logs. I only had a problem a few times but, a Macro to the logs dept fixed that!

Fireman, you know as well as I do, that drivers do not want to switch to an electronic logging system because.....ahhh...shall we say, "when adjustments have to be made". :wink: :wink:
My opinion, though, Electronic logs would put everybody on a level playing field, and it would put shippers and recievers into a tail spin, forcing minimum dock delays, holding to appt times etc. Electronic logs are no big deal, just requires time management, and it may just get them dang advocacy groups off our back.

TGTLLC 02-29-2008 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by :

Fireman, you know as well as I do, that drivers do not want to switch to an electronic logging system because.....ahhh...shall we say, "when adjustments have to be made". :wink: :wink:
My opinion, though, Electronic logs would put everybody on a level playing field, and it would put shippers and recievers into a tail spin, forcing minimum dock delays, holding to appt times etc. Electronic logs are no big deal, just requires time management, and it may just get them dang advocacy groups off our back.

yep i am a guilty party when it comes to ajusting my logs. it does not happen evry oftin as i run for the same shipper and recievers are usually farmers but every once in a while ajustments have to be made if theres a tie up some where. so yea i guess that would be a big reason i am aginst electronic logs.

as far as them mailing the logs to you, that is a great thing they do. i have never really talked with guys who run electronic logs let alone worked for a company with on board computers but i guess everything has its benefits and drawbacks.

fireman932003 02-29-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by :

I liked the paperless logs personally. I would have to agree that all you need is proper time management. I think people don't like it because they think they are not in control when in fact you are in control. Where it will not work for you is if you are one of those drivers that like to log it one way and then run it another. In my PERSONAL experience, I have found that I made just as much money if not more money on the paperless logs as I did with the traditional paper logs. Plus, it helps out with dispatch of loads because the computer knows all your hrs and can put a load on you that you can handle within your legal hrs! Now, I am not saying that the system is perfect. Its not. But it works well. If you do find a error, just send in a macro to the logs department and they will adjust it to make it right. Just my opinion!

Drew10 03-01-2008 02:43 AM

I agree, fireman...
Drivers that dont like them, never gave them a chance to work or never tried them.

Originally Posted by :
Where it will not work for you is if you are one of those drivers that like to log it one way and then run it another.

Thats exactly what I mean about a "level playing field". Even though we have so called rules, How many actually "play by the rules" basically giving in to running illegal to accomidate poor planning by dispatch, or delays at shippers/recievers or even to suit themselves.

ICS 03-01-2008 02:57 AM

i have to admit that the paperless logs seem like a good thing. I bet you one day all of the trucks are going to be running it. that day of paper anything is coming to an end. But for now I prefer using the paper mainly because most companies use it and I want to use what is the industry standard. But i have a feeling in 20 years we all will be using it. and driving Autos at 65mph.

Orangetxguy 03-01-2008 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by :

Drew...Two very solid points for why trucking companies should implement "electronic logs". Not only would they put all of us on a level playing field...it would place shippers & receivers on notice to operate their facilities much more efficiently. E-logs might even have a positive effect on freight rates...upward positive.
Getting the "A-groups" of our backs would be nice too !!

ordinaryguy 03-02-2008 01:59 AM

wow people are bashing Werner, heh I've never seen that at all...paperless logs are just fine. been with Werner for almost 3 years...Ive had to use a paper log once when i was in Canada, up in Edmonton, AB the qualcomm has no signal...turned 687 miles the other day, in 10.5 hrs, from Ardmore, OK to Limon, CO....and i even hit OKC at 8am...they havent screwed me yet, probably because i have a good fleet manager and i am on one of the better dedicated accounts...

TrkrKenO 03-13-2008 01:27 AM

My wife will test this friday hoping to pass, she is good. i got some post and ? about finding a good team company. How is werner about their home time in Pittsburgh Pa. We need to be home every other week.They told here to show up in Allentown after easter if she wants the job.

dle 03-13-2008 01:40 AM

When i was with werner, my log routinely got messed up. Me and the log department got to know each other pretty well.

It has a lot to do with your qcom unit and not much with the fleet manager you have. It finally took the unit saying that I was in OK driving well beyond my hours, even though I was at the Flying J in Dallas. Plus a little bit of yelling.

And what do you know, when they pulled the unit - it had failed all the tests they put it through.

For those of you who like to play with the range switch, be careful. Depending on how the unit is set up, it could show you moving (line 3).

I think that electronic logs are good to a point. Do I think that electronic logs, by themselves, will improve shippers/receivers - no. Improve freight rates, don't think so.

Drew10 03-13-2008 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by :
I think that electronic logs are good to a point. Do I think that electronic logs, by themselves, will improve shippers/receivers - no. Improve freight rates, don't think so

Run 100% legal, dont make up for shipper/reciever delays, tell dispatch unable to run this trip legal, and watch how fast things change. Would be better than any "strike" could possibly accomplish, and you wouldnt be out of a job during the "strike".
We (truckdrivers) really are our worst enemies.

Ridge Runner 03-13-2008 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by :
I think that electronic logs are good to a point. Do I think that electronic logs, by themselves, will improve shippers/receivers - no. Improve freight rates, don't think so

Run 100% legal, dont make up for shipper/reciever delays, tell dispatch unable to run this trip legal, and watch how fast things change. Would be better than any "strike" could possibly accomplish, and you wouldnt be out of a job during the "strike".
We (truckdrivers) really are our worst enemies.

You hit the nail on the head with that one Drew10!

If all the trucks went from running 2500 to 2800 miles a week to 1800 to 2000 miles, THEN AND ONLY THEN will someone in upper management start to aks questions.

The company it'self has to turn x number of miles per truck to make a profit. The problem is getting drivers to LOG IT AS THEY DO IT. As long as they cheat on their logs then they only cheat themselvs.

davemaes 03-15-2008 02:21 AM

I just talked to Paula from Werner today. She said " two day orientation, 26.5 cpm" NO THAT WAS NOT A MISTAKE she said if you have over 1 year otr you make 26.5 cpm. Plus you do one week with a trainer to learn how to do the paperless log! Then you get to go home to get your things. Now why dont they teach the paperless log in orientation? And why only 26.5 cpm? Now how inviting is that?

BIG JEEP on 44's 03-24-2008 09:18 PM

Why wasn't it an easy transition ...can't do basic math ? shake like Michael J Fox and can't draw straight lines ? Can't figure out how to flag things ? ...But then again you did say that the OFFICE-MAX account required "above" average "trip planning" ability , And from experience know that account is Pie simple ...wink

BIG JEEP on 44's 03-24-2008 09:38 PM

Even most drivers working for Werner running paperless are...NOT...100% legal ...Because every minute you work needs to be logged ...But at werner most drivers log 15 minutes for every required ln 4 logging situation regardless of how long it took ,and guess what this is still fudging the books :wink: Most Werner drivers will shut down at shipper/receiver over night and either pick up or deliver and send their unloaded or loaded message which automatically starts their logs ...100% legal would logging ln 4 the minute you step out of the truck to talk to the shipping/receiving dpartment ir moved your truck to back the dock .

Drew10 03-25-2008 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's:
Even most drivers working for Werner running paperless are...NOT...100% legal ...Because every minute you work needs to be logged ...But at werner most drivers log 15 minutes for every required ln 4 logging situation regardless of how long it took ,and guess what this is still fudging the books :wink: Most Werner drivers will shut down at shipper/receiver over night and either pick up or deliver and send their unloaded or loaded message which automatically starts their logs ...100% legal would logging ln 4 the minute you step out of the truck to talk to the shipping/receiving dpartment ir moved your truck to back the dock .

A Paperlog is Grided to 15min incruments not 1minute incruments, as is the Werner Paperless Log....but Im not telling you anything you dont know.
Werner went through the "test" period for many years with the FMCSA and DOT. The Paperless logs are no longer in the test period and are approved for use in there present form by the FMCSA/DOT. They are not perfect and a good driver understanding the logging system can maximize the use of the Paperless Logs. You cannot "fudge" if its approved by the FMCSA and DOT.

How does any of your comments regarding "breaks"at the shipper/receiver differ from using a paper log??

Originally Posted by :
Why wasn't it an easy transition ...can't do basic math ? shake like Michael J Fox and can't draw straight lines ? Can't figure out how to flag things ? ...But then again you did say that the OFFICE-MAX account required "above" average "trip planning" ability , And from experience know that account is Pie simple ...wink

Im not even going to bother with this statment, you do a good enough job making yourself look like an azz!!!

BIG JEEP on 44's 03-26-2008 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's:

A Paperlog is Grided to 15min incruments not 1minute incruments, as is the Werner Paperless Log....but Im not telling you anything you dont know.
Werner went through the "test" period for many years with the FMCSA and DOT. The Paperless logs are no longer in the test period and are approved for use in there present form by the FMCSA/DOT. They are not perfect and a good driver understanding the logging system can maximize the use of the Paperless Logs. You cannot "fudge" if its approved by the FMCSA and DOT.

How does any of your comments regarding "breaks"at the shipper/receiver differ from using a paper log??

Originally Posted by :

Im not even going to bother with this statment, you do a good enough job making yourself look like an azz!!!

IMy point is /was Werner drivers still do not run 100% legal ...Because they can still not log it 100% as they do it . For example you sit at the office max DC waiting to get loaded ,abnd during this time you check on the status of that load 3 times ...you just ciommited a ln 4 act 3x which most likely would if logged 100% as you did it would have you short on your 14hr by the time load was complete ...now you're at the same dc ,and load is now complete you go get your paper work and hook your load ,and after all that you send your loaded message ,and claim 15 minutes...in both these these situations the minute you started to perform a company fuinction you needed to send a macro 8 and go to line 4 ...not doing so is fufging your logs skippy .

If you spend the night at the Office-Max docks and in the morning at 0600 you walk to the receiving door and hand off your paper work and have them break the seal and proceed to back up and get unloaded ...if you did not put yourself to line 4 the minute you got out of the truck to perform company functions you are not logging it like is and fudging your logs ... :wink:

If at the same dock and you shut down for 8.5 hours and at 0600 do the same as above , and wait until unloaded and had a full 10hr break to claim any line 4 activity as to get a full 10hr break...you are fudging your logs ...

I could go on with BIG BLUE examples of paperless fudging , But there is no need , And my origional post was made because you state to be logging 100% legal at Werner...When it's obvious you don't even know what that is to start with. :wink: . Now i'm not bashing you for making your logs work for you ,but just simply pointing out no driver to my knowledge logs 100% legal 100% of the time :shock:

Drew I got a queastion for you... if I'm in the city of dallas TX and I make 1st stop at 1000 and at 1030 I drive 5 miles to 2nd stop and arrive at 1100 and depart at 1130 drive 5 miles and arrive to final at 1200 then depart at 1230 and shut down at the pilot in Dallas at 1245 and all this happened in city limits of dallas...what are my options of logging this as far as ln 4 and ln 3 time and still be DOT legal :?:

Drew10 03-27-2008 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by :
IMy point is /was Werner drivers still do not run 100% legal ...Because they can still not log it 100% as they do it .

How does all your "fine" examples differ from any paperlog company? Line4 is probably the most abused line of all the lines. My point is, and as you well know, the paperless logs are utilized the same as a paperlog, and requires the "honesty" of the driver to input the appropiate duty status changes as they occur.

Originally Posted by :
I could go on with BIG BLUE examples of paperless fudging , But there is no need , And my origional post was made because you state to be logging 100% legal at Werner...When it's obvious you don't even know what that is to start with. excuse me!! . Now i'm not bashing you for making your logs work for you ,but just simply pointing out no driver to my knowledge logs 100% legal 100% of the time

I did not state that Werner logs 100% legal, I stated "Run 100% legal,"

Originally Posted by :
Drew I got a queastion for you...

AHHH...Are you "testing" me??? :? :? I dont think Im going to bother.

BIG JEEP on 44's 03-27-2008 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by :
IMy point is /was Werner drivers still do not run 100% legal ...Because they can still not log it 100% as they do it .

How does all your "fine" examples differ from any paperlog company? Line4 is probably the most abused line of all the lines. My point is, and as you well know, the paperless logs are utilized the same as a paperlog, and requires the "honesty" of the driver to input the appropiate duty status changes as they occur.

Originally Posted by :
I could go on with BIG BLUE examples of paperless fudging , But there is no need , And my origional post was made because you state to be logging 100% legal at Werner...When it's obvious you don't even know what that is to start with. excuse me!! . Now i'm not bashing you for making your logs work for you ,but just simply pointing out no driver to my knowledge logs 100% legal 100% of the time

I did not state that Werner logs 100% legal, I stated "Run 100% legal,"

Originally Posted by :
Drew I got a queastion for you...

AHHH...Are you "testing" me??? :? :? I dont think Im going to bother.

That's what I thought ... :wink:

lurchgs 03-29-2008 07:38 AM

I got a tour of the local Werner terminal today.. pretty much the 50 cent tour. the Dollar tour is probably for when you actually come in to orientation.

two personal observations that annoy the heck out of me:
Company policy is 'no guns on the rig". I've not researched it in depth, yet, but for the moment, that's a killer. If that's the norm for companies, well.. I'll have to re-think

In the driver's lounge, they had some nice comfy couches, showers, etc. Big-screen TV mounted up high where everybody could see it. All cool, right? BUZZ! They were watching a flippin' SOAP OPERA. A room full of hard-core (well, that was the original assumption) trucker-types.. watching something like One Life to Live or whatever. Oh, come ON! Put a DVD on or something.

As for the paperless logs. I don't have a personal opinion... let me correct that. I don't have an opinion based on my own experience. But I have to wonder. IF they are so darn wonderful, why is Werner the only company on the continent to use them? They've been approved for use for years, now, and nobody else is picking up on them. Makes me wonder, it does.

Drew10 03-30-2008 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by :
Company policy is 'no guns on the rig".

I think you will find most companies will have this policy. As well as alot of customers you will be visiting as a Driver.

Originally Posted by :
They were watching a flippin' SOAP OPERA

Surely, this isnt going to be a very big make or break decision as to which company you choose???

Originally Posted by :
IF they are so darn wonderful, why is Werner the only company on the continent to use them?

This is the Million Dollar question, The original press release when FMCSA/DOT wanted a company as a test bed for the Qualcomm Paperless Logs stated that Werner was the only company to "Volunteer".

Speculation says, that Werner used to be one of the biggest "Outlaw" companies on the road and the fines for this were unsurmountable and DOT cut a deal with Werner to be the test bed for the paperless logs or pay the fines.
Werner had to changed their entire operating system to accomadate the Paperless Logs, and after all the years running the business using them found it actually works. It appears, from my view point, that the company has achieved a success using them.
Why other companies dont use them?....Dont know, especially companies that utilized qualcom and blackboxes. Also, paperlogs keep a greater level of the responsiblity on the driver to run the load legal...or not.

Folsom Flash 03-30-2008 04:14 AM

There are lots of companies that use electronic logs. My company uses one, we're not OTR but travel far enough to require logs.