Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   2008 Shaffer-Heartland CHRONICLES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32145-2008-shaffer-heartland-chronicles.html)

headborg 07-10-2008 04:19 AM

Week#3 Continues

1348+

10+
_____

1896 as of delivery in am -- Elkhart, In with roughly 2 days remaining in this
6 day week.

Yesterday, I picked up in Reaford, NC and delivered this morning in Carlisle, Pa

Ran through Chester, Va terminal for fuel--- got flagged for a A-Service(Lube job)--- was worried that was going to detain me there all evening-- as it was 4pm when I arrived--(could of....should of... cooled my heals at truckstop for a hour and could have avoided that possible issue). Well, happy to report-- 15minutes to wait, 15minutes for Lube job....and was out of there!
Now, if it had been Crete--- well, that would have been a all day affair -- i.e. total lost of production. This is why I always tried to skip the A-service at Crete/Shaffer and have them do a combined A+B when the oil change was due.

I'm figuring Heartland's B-service isn't as quick and painless.

This morning's arrival at Carlisle Terminal ( bobtail to pick up load) wasn't
that smooth although.........2 hours I set in the below line--- waiting for a
stupid inspection....
The kicker is-- it's a total waste-- Instead of simply inspecting tractor/trailers-- if they find anything wrong-- they stop and hold up the entire line to do the repair-- right there!-- so ONE bozo with an "issue" causes an 11 tractor/trailer line.
Instead of flagging the driver and having him line up behind a repair bay-

Plus, I watched as at least 8 drivers Idled their trucks for 2 hours each-- while waiting in that line.

Wouldn't it be simple to just park all the trucks in row, allow the drivers to go into the driver's lounge-- and let the mechanic "stretch" his legs and inspect a row of parked( engine off) trucks?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland006.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland005.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland004.jpg

headborg 07-10-2008 05:28 PM

+
360 pending
+58 pending
________
2314 Total Friday morning 8am

elkhart, in
kalamazoo, mi
cedar rapids, ia

with hours left Friday for more miles--- however, I don't live in Cedar Rapids, Ia

Ronin 07-12-2008 01:27 AM

I sense the honeymoon is coming to an end Locutous , oh I mean headborg.

headborg 07-12-2008 03:42 AM

Heartland week#3 final total:

+204
______
2514 Paid miles-- 6 day week Sunday- Friday

419 per day average x 5= 2095 mile week if program was working "as described".

Not heading home this weekend-- asked if I could run out my hours and get home Mon thru Wednesday--- really need a weekday off( while businesses are open) + needed to see if they could (on short notice) produce a "productive" weekend.

What I got was--- 703 miles for Sunday morning Live unload 7:30 am--
still unknown if I'll move sunday toward home or set all sunday until Monday morning then move toward home. All and all, looks like next weeks miles will be shot all to hell.

Roy is going to Knight Transport Orientation Monday morning-- gonna let me know how that goes.

Otherwise, this is just same old same old--- it's trucking-- different name on the door, different b.s. but still basically same old tricks different day.

Ronin 07-13-2008 03:56 PM

yeah, everyone hopes the next company will be better. But it's kust variations on a theme. My own little company is trying to get me to see my doctor to look at an issue that arose on the road in their truck on their time. Gonna have to talk to some people at the state tomorrow.

headborg 07-14-2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin
yeah, everyone hopes the next company will be better. But it's kust variations on a theme. My own little company is trying to get me to see my doctor to look at an issue that arose on the road in their truck on their time. Gonna have to talk to some people at the state tomorrow.

You should take them up on that offer to see "Your" doctor--- I don't see any reason why you couldn't say the two magic words-- as soon as you enter his office--- "Worker's Comp"- at least your company isn't trying to get you to go live in a motel for couple weeks-- visit "their" doctor-- and do light duty work until cleared to resume the real work.

headborg 07-14-2008 04:39 AM

week#4

Eagleville, Mo- Pauls Valley, Ok-- 498
Pauls Valley, Ok- Tulsa, Ok 145
Tulsa,OK- Ft. Smith, AR 118
Ft. Smith,Ar- Topeka 338 (pending)

total Monday Afternoon--- 1098 miles

headborg 07-14-2008 04:45 AM

a offer/request of any current Shaffer/Crete drivers--- if you get by the Greensboro, NC terminal and my old truck#83996 is still there--- I'll give you
this collection of $50 worth of Shaffer Store Certificates If you can find my set of keys to my Glad Hand lock-- I think I left them setting in the console(beside the cup holder)--- two small brass colored keys on a key ring. And will buy you dinner!

Ronin 07-14-2008 02:29 PM

thanks for the advice borg, hopefully they haven't reassigned your old truck yet.

headborg 07-16-2008 03:18 AM

Week#4 Continues:

1098 plus Topeka, Ks- Independence, Mo
Independence, Mo- Cedar Rapids, Ia
Cedar Rapids, Ia- Temple, Tx( Thursday 21:00)

_____
2416 as of Thursday Night

Friday I'm picking up 7 hours to work with....so, 360 more tops-- looking at maybe 2776 for week if so.

Oh, and Sunday will be 2 weeks solid -- this regional driver has worked....

All and All, not bad-- at least they are keeping me moving...

Bumper 07-16-2008 05:36 PM

But, I thought the objective was to be home on weekends with the family?

headborg 07-17-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumper

the real objective -- Of mine-- was to eliminate the setting over the weekends-- pulling my hair out-- because of stupid 500 mile trips that couldn't be delivered until... Monday...Tuesday, etc...

There's nothing worse than seeing WHY your weekly miles are so low-- and knowing you're being screwed out of a life- by a company.

Then the option of solutions open up-- and you are told you could hire on here-- run 2100 to 2200 miles 5-6 days per week and be home 3 out of 4 weekends per month. The very time that's been the problem area.

So now, I'm running more miles-- staying busy-- it's just the "program" isn't working as laid out.

The .43 cents per mile is at the top of my "list" of places to fall back to-- after leaving Shaffer.

Poly Trucking didn't call me back.

KLLM-- they are still at the table at .43 cpm--- but- that's .43 OTR Reefer-- and that's a crap shoot at 1) making good miles 2) getting home time.

but on the plus side--- much nicer equipment to "live" in- while doing the endless OTR "lifestyle".

at this stage-- I need to be positive about something--- at least I'm moving-- and making good "hassle- free" miles here.

Now, if I don't start getting home-- I'm going to really start to hate "living" in this stripped... crappy ... "work" truck. It just won't do for 14 days at a time.
There's no cabinets, not even nets for the two small cubbies...... every thing-- bounces off the bed onto the floor.. and the dash board( once considered my Desk) is only 4inches deep-- every thing bounces off it too and lands in my trash can.

This is definately not a "road" truck-- it's a "work" truck--- maybe one step above the old "coffin" sleeper boxes.

Seems my "theory" about "controlling" the amount of time I give away to a company-- by only working Regional--- there was a major flaw/ over sight in my reasoning....
I'm only a lowly "coolie" driver-- I have no "control". Once you're in their
equipment-- out here ON THE ROAD-- going where they tell you. You have NO CONTROL---- other than finally saying .....so long.

Interestingly, Shaffer is still sending me Pay settlements--- 0 amounts of course-- but strangely still sending pay settlements.

Orangetxguy 07-17-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

the real objective -- Of mine-- was to eliminate the setting over the weekends-- pulling my hair out-- because of stupid 500 mile trips that couldn't be delivered until... Monday...Tuesday, etc...

There's nothing worse than seeing WHY your weekly miles are so low-- and knowing you're being screwed out of a life- by a company.

Then the option of solutions open up-- and you are told you could hire on here-- run 2100 to 2200 miles 5-6 days per week and be home 3 out of 4 weekends per month. The very time that's been the problem area.

So now, I'm running more miles-- staying busy-- it's just the "program" isn't working as laid out.

The .43 cents per mile is at the top of my "list" of places to fall back to-- after leaving Shaffer.

KLLM-- they are still at the table at .43 cpm--- but- that's .43 OTR Reefer-- and that's a crap shoot at 1) making good miles 2) getting home time.

but on the plus side--- much nicer equipment to "live" in- while doing the endless OTR "lifestyle".

at this stage-- I need to be positive about something--- at least I'm moving-- and making good "hassle- free" miles here.

Now, if I don't start getting home-- I'm going to really start to hate "living" in this stripped... crappy ... "work" truck. It just won't do for 14 days at a time.
There's no cabins, not even nets for the two small cubbies...... every thing-- bounces off the bed onto the floor.. and the dash board( once considered my Desk) is only 4inches deep-- every thing bounces off it too and lands in my trash can.

This is definately not a "road" truck-- it's a "work" truck--- maybe one step above the old "coffin" sleeper boxes.

Seems my "theory" about "controlling" the amount of time I give away to a company-- by only working Regional--- there was a major flaw/ over sight in my reasoning....
equipment-- out here ON THE ROAD-- going where they tell you. You have NO CONTROL---- other than finally saying .....so long.

Interestingly, Shaffer is still sending me Pay settlements--- 0 amounts of course-- but strangely still sending pay settlements.

Waiting for you to quit having a temper tantrum and come home !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

headborg 07-17-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

Quote:

There's no cabins, not even nets for the two small cubbies...... every thing-- bounces off the bed onto the floor.. and the dash board( once considered my Desk) is only 4inches deep-- every thing bounces off it too and lands in my trash can.

Waiting for you to quit having a temper tantrum and come home !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL-- no, I really believe it's a computer generated automatic thing.... after all-- the benefits department was real quick to notify me-- I had to elect to do something with my profit sharing-- since I was no longer employed there.

there are moments.... when I consider that very carefully....the "going Home" to Shaffer/Crete, but, who really wants the "black sheep"--- and I don't think they either would take me back or I certainly wouldn't like the punishment of a very sizeable paycut. And I know they haven't got the zone dispatch/ low miles on the weekends fixed yet.
Maybe, years from now-- when my home is paid for-- and if I were to buy my own truck--- I'd strongly consider-- Crete/Shaffer to lease onto.

headborg 07-17-2008 04:13 PM

Today, all is right with the world....we are seeing blue skies...clear to the house...hopefully.

Deliver at Wal-mart- Temple, Tx tonight 21:00-

Deadhead up to Roanoke, Tx- drop empty at KimClark-

bobtail over to Garland and grab load to Manteno, Il-- take through the house for weekend+ Monday-- drop it Tuesday midday.

Total Miles for Week#4( 7 day week)= 3,048 miles

so now Heartland is 3/4 on the Weekends home--- minus( about 24hours-- as I ran last weekend- wanting 2 days during this week- and will only get 1 day(Monday))

Maybe I can just drop off my Bronco at shop-- have a family member pick it up later in the week.

headborg 07-18-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Today, all is right with the world....we are seeing blue skies...clear to the house...hopefully.

Deliver at Wal-mart- Temple, Tx tonight 21:00-

Deadhead up to Roanoke, Tx- drop empty at KimClark-

bobtail over to Garland and grab load to Manteno, Il-- take through the house for weekend+ Monday-- drop it Tuesday midday.

Total Miles for Week#4( 7 day week)= 3,048 miles

so now Heartland is 3/4 on the Weekends home--- minus( about 24hours-- as I ran last weekend- wanting 2 days during this week- and will only get 1 day(Monday))

Maybe I can just drop off my Bronco at shop-- have a family member pick it up later in the week.

Ok they changed plans on me-- cut out the Roanoke-- gonna have me drop the trailer in Dallas-- so the final miles for the week are 3,012.

So far:

Week#1: 2988
Week#2: 1885
Week#3: 2514
Week#4: 3012 * pending

2599 average

headborg 07-19-2008 07:04 AM

Home tonight( this morning)

Will be home for Sat, Sunday, Monday until after 5pm/

so all and all--- Heartland hasn't been that bad... scoring about 75% on delivering the promised home time.

The miles have been exceeding expectations-- but of course that's proportional to the lack of 100% on that home time.

The truck scores negative-- it's a real piece of junk. But like they are fond of saying-- trucking "aint all wine & roses"

The customer base( freight) from what I've seen--is excellent.
Equipment( Trailers) are so far in excellent condition.

The preplanning-- and keeping 2-3 loads planned ahead + the computer information asked for with each loaded call and empty call-- really gives me the impression-- that they are serious around here with keeping the truck moving-- maximizing my hours-

I do have some concerns with all their "antiquated" policies ---- really does give me the feeling I've stepped back in time to -- JBHunt ( 14 years ago) only without the 4000 miles per week.

then again-- I'm the FNG, how long before the honeymoon ends?-- the gravy train stops?-- and I find myself in the back of the trailer-- tailgating a insulation load in 110 deg heat -- for the ridiculous rate of $60.00.

Jumbo 07-20-2008 04:23 PM

Well it is what you make of it :D

Quote:

Will be home for Sat, Sunday, Monday until after 5pm/

so all and all--- Heartland hasn't been that bad... scoring about 75% on delivering the promised home time.

The miles have been exceeding expectations-- but of course that's proportional to the lack of 100% on that home time.

The truck scores negative-- it's a real piece of junk. But like they are fond of saying-- trucking "aint all wine & roses"

The customer base( freight) from what I've seen--is excellent.
Equipment( Trailers) are so far in excellent condition.

The preplanning-- and keeping 2-3 loads planned ahead + the computer information asked for with each loaded call and empty call-- really gives me the impression-- that they are serious around here with keeping the truck moving-- maximizing my hours-

I do have some concerns with all their "antiquated" policies ---- really does give me the feeling I've stepped back in time to -- JBHunt ( 14 years ago) only without the 4000 miles per week.

then again-- I'm the FNG, how long before the honeymoon ends?-- the gravy train stops?-- and I find myself in the back of the trailer-- tailgating a insulation load in 110 deg heat -- for the ridiculous rate of $60.00.

str.whl.hldr 07-22-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Do you mean loose on the logs? I don't get it.

Quote:

Lol. I had to do this with my trainer for Crete. fbs.
Heartland cares might give you $65.

headborg 07-24-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
Quote:

Do you mean loose on the logs? I don't get it.

Quote:

Lol. I had to do this with my trainer for Crete. fbs.
Heartland cares might give you $65.

No I didn't mean "loose" on the logs-- I was actually referring to stuff like-- Hair cut policy & uniform- dress code-- "chain of command"--- all reminds of JBHunt years ago.

headborg 07-24-2008 05:12 AM

Week#5
Looks like it's going to total to about:

1887 for 4.5 days work--- but it won't end me up at my door step this weekend either--- hoping I'll be able to get him to work me by the house for Mon-Tues or Tues-Wednesday---- darn mechanics are like doctors these days with higher cost of fuel-- no body's buying NEW-- they are fixing the old
ones up( making due) got to make appointments--- but surely they won't be busy EVERY week day.

headborg 07-26-2008 04:28 AM

Back to Week#4

Some more details, notes, and confession;

Ok, Week#4 included:

a load from Ft. Smith, Ar- Topeka, Ks

now this above load-- I turned down/ did not accept the preplan-- not once but twice-- and they still "forced' it on me-- so I loaded it( just did have the hours remaining on my 14 to reach the Shipper-- of course, I ran out of hours(hit 14) while at the dock-- so I ended up spending the night on their property. Now, this was after starting my Sunday at Wal-Mart( Paul's Valley, Ok with a 7am Live Unload(2hours) 160 mile deadhead to Tulsa for a pickup-- shipper had to stay late to load it( and lost track of some of the product(almost canceled the load entirely)-- 118 miles then to Ft. Smith--

Oh, and I started the morning with only 7- hours remaining on my 70.
And they wanted that Topeka delivered at 8am sharp Monday.

So the next load-- was Independence, Mo to Cedar Rapids, Ia--

Welcome to the Caves( Space Center )

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland009.jpg

In the past 10 years these caves have came a long way--- I remember when there was little to NO- light--- the air was full of CO2 and CO(monoxide) from all the trucks.. you'd pass trucks down under here (200 feet below the surface) and the driver's would be "white nuckled" and look pale as ghosts--- many would get nervous and tare open their trailers -- rip em open like sardine cans on these walls-- which weren't painted white at that time. They've really improved greatly.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland007.jpg

Still the below shot-- is of the scrap marks that are present along the walls - in front of every dock--- both high( where people have damaged the passenger top corner of their trailers backing into the docks) as seen below. As well as where they rip off their fenders & front bumpers down low( not pictured ).
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...artland012.jpg

Anyway, it was on this load-- that I made my first real mistake here at Heartland. A rookie Mistake--- not not driving related or related in any way to above pictures....

I was assigned to pick up a load of corn starch-- bound for Cedar Rapids, Ia.
The shipper loaded the trailer with a load going to --- Tulsa, Ok.
The lighting in the above pictures is from digital processing/flash on the camera---- when the loader brought the Bills out to the truck for me to sign-- I could barely see where he was pointing his finger for me to sign.

Mistake#1: Don't sign without reading WHERE the load is going-- it might not be YOUR load!.

Then, because-- I only had 2 hours left on my 14hour clock-- and I did read-- 45,6xx lbs--- Instead of stopping when I emerged from under-ground and sending my Loaded Call--- I was more concerned about getting to a truckstop and scaling out the load-- and getting some Dinner before I ran out of time. So, I hit 291 north, then cut west on 210-- hoping to scale out at the 210 Texaco -- as to avoid back tracking to the Flying J on Front St.---- Well, guess what--- the 210 Texaco is out-of-business--- wonder how long now? So, I hit 435North to 35 North--
Still watching my 2 remaining hours tick away-----
Mistake#2: The MDOT weigh station is south of the Kearny ex26 Pilot--
forgot about that------ but Luck was with me--- THE BIG WORD WAS OUT!
I whipped her in on the scale-- then parked.

It was perfect-- without having to slide any more--- I congradulated myself on being so "skilled/experienced" that I can usually just "feel" when I slide em up or back-- when the weight balances----- so, now I was parked- weight all legal--- and hungry---- and here at Heartland got to watch my idle time-- so why head back to a hot truck--- so I walked across the street to find some Dinner---- If you stop here--- try the Stallion Bar & Grill across the street-- real good Stakes.

Anyway, hours later when I returned to the truck--- to do that "loaded call"-- imagine my surprise when I read Bama Pie Company-- Tulsa, OK!

The lesson here is-- reguardless of how many years you've been trucking-- certain basic procedures must be followed-- religiously.

Read before you Sign! Even If you need a flashlight!

Send your loaded call--- from the Shipper! Even if you suspect/ think you might have to return for an adjustment- and don't want to have to send another one over again.

In my case, it worked out anyway-- I was out of hours at Kearney-- having to inform the Shipper they screwed up -- then returning the next morning to re-load--- I really didn't get more than 3 hours behind.

But the mistake should have/ could have been caught sooner!

headborg 07-28-2008 11:25 PM

Week#6:

Will be 1488 as of Wednesday Morning 5am-- 4 days worked

but, added to week#5-- for a total of 3375 for 10days out of house= 337 miles per day-- certainly a slow down that I can't afford

headborg 07-30-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Week#6:

Will be 1488 as of Wednesday Morning 5am-- 4 days worked

but, added to week#5-- for a total of 3375 for 10days out of house= 337 miles per day-- certainly a slow down that I can't afford

Week#6

Ok, now it's looking like 1508 as of here-- home as soon as this guy gets here and relays-- then Friday( if it's a good Friday 300?) so 1800 miles 5 days( 2 days home)

headborg 07-30-2008 09:03 PM

Ok, need some figures to compare too....

Need to hear from some of you OTR guys-- who are running these 8-10 days out-- then home 2 days off. What are your typical miles for a 8-10 day tour?

In the last 14 years-- I've always been out 21(3weeks or more) before hometime. Shaffer was the first to get me home/promise 18days out-

So, I need something to compare this experience too-- other than, comparing
just "what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.

evertruckerr 07-30-2008 11:16 PM

headborg wrote:

Quote:

what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.
Does that really surprise you. I can't believe you were mislead! :shock:

I have no doubt that you might have suspected this going in, but from what I've been reading here it sounds like it is kind of working for you. Sort of anyway. At least you are getting some OK hometime and maybe it will start working out a little better as you become more accustom to their ways.

If nothing else you seem to be marginally better off than your final days with Shaffer.

Best of luck and keep the updates coming.

headborg 07-31-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
headborg wrote:

Quote:

what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.
Does that really surprise you. I can't believe you were mislead! :shock:

I have no doubt that you might have suspected this going in, but from what I've been reading here it sounds like it is kind of working for you. Sort of anyway. At least you are getting some OK hometime and maybe it will start working out a little better as you become more accustom to their ways.

If nothing else you seem to be marginally better off than your final days with Shaffer.

Best of luck and keep the updates coming.

Marginally better--- not when you really break it down.

I computed an average of 2259 per week from the beginning of 2008 until my leaving Shaffer---- so that's 2259x.465= $1050 week average
and 1 day off per week-- so let's say 4 days off per month.

now so far, here at Heartland-- running a 6 week average of 2347x.43= 1,009.00 per week-
now the home time= 10hrs+42hrs+60hrs+0+48hrs= 160hrs/24hrs= 6.666 days during a 6 week stretch = 1.11 days off per week for 4.44days per month!

just getting the time rationed spread out lot more evenly-- which is nice change, still the other way with 3-4 days off in a row-- it's all in what works for you I guess.

other words-- the grass gets cut more regularly-- and that project car up on blocks outside-- the exposed internal parts-- get re-assembled litter quicker without rusting as much.

maybe, we'll get a good system working out for getting me that regular weekends off/ 2200 miles in 6 days-- and then I'll be able to report a real-- Gold Mine opportunity here. Meanwhile, I'm looking at it as a Safe Harbor for a while to weather out the RECESSION/ storm, after all, I do believe the old style OTR is dead-- staying out for weeks at a time- just to be marginalized/set for weekends with no miles is for the birds.

I'm happy for you, EverT- that you're able to still average those great 3,500 mile weeks--- it really wouldn't be worth it otherwise.

headborg 08-03-2008 03:22 AM

Week#6 Final Figures:

2002 as of Friday night shut down( that's the HHG paid miles) with 53 hours at home( Wednesday Morning 2am- Friday morning 7am)---

Ok more observations:

Inspection Lanes:

As much as I understand and value the practical benefit of these, for they do prevent drivers from fracking over other drivers by bringing in trailers with
missing mud flaps, flat tires, etc and dropping off their problem for someone else to deal with( i.e. loose valuable/productive time), the way Heartland operates these is a serious concern.

Instead of keeping the lane moving, and flagging any trailer repair for another bay-- they hold up the entire show by repairing it -- right there.
With fuel prices as high as they are-- I would think -- there must be a better way.
Suggestion: At terminals where they have enough pavement: North Liberty, Carlisle, Atlanta,-- why not set up an inspection ROW, a place to park( numbered) -- hand the keys in, have the(heaven forbid) mechanics come out with their creepers and inspect Parked trucks-- this way the driver isn't asked to set in the driver's seat(sweating his rear off) with no idling-- waiting, pulling up, 1 truck at a time , in some stupid line.

Maintenance:

Aside from the above issue--- the inspections are helping to keep the equipment in much better shape than lets say--- Crete.
I'll use Crete as a contrast-- since they are the most recent operation I'm familiar with.
The 7am- 5pm Shop hours also help keep things moving too.

For example:

A-Service( grease/lube Job) Heartland - 15 minutes flat( in & out)
Crete-- could be 1/2 a day --easy

B-Service( oil change) Heartland --
I waited 45 minutes( while 4 other trucks were serviced-- then my turn( 45 minutes) so 1.5hrs
Crete-- check in at Noon, 4 trucks ahead at that time/ finished at 11pm( in 15minutes) just at quiting time.

Tuesday, I arrived at the Olive Branch yard-- spent 1 hour getting thru the inspection lane( they found little bitty cracks in trailer brake pads(front axle), spent 1 hour getting New brake pads on that axle--- frankly, impressive they examined these with a pen light--- the brake pads had plenty of service life left-- but New one's installed just the same.
then spent 1.5 hours -(45 minutes waiting/45- getting serviced) for a grand
total of 3.5 hours.

This same service would have cost me an entire day or at least 1/2 day at any Crete yard-- including Ottawa. Ok, maybe Indy would have got me in and out-- but still a marked contrast.

Also, the Ackley Maintenance Dept-- is totally independant of the "chain of command" or at least that's what my Fleet Manager told me--
Not here at Heartland-- the terminal manager is over them. If you're on a "hot" load-- the TM can make a call and get you fast tracked through the shop.

__________________________________________________ ________

Week#7 Begins:

Pendleton, Ky- Washington Court House, Oh- 142
WCH, Oh- Hinsdale, IL- 336
- Rockford, Il- 78
Columbia, Mo- 360( pending)
O'Fallon, Mo- 92(pending)
Davenport, Ia- 232(pending)

for a total of 1240 miles through Monday Noon

Nice that they triple preplan or even quadruple preplan-
though I've noticed you can refuse them( for lack of hours) still they end up on you anyway. They cancel them on you-- then re-send them-- cancel them again--- gets kinda annoying after 3 or 4 times.... seems they can't make up their minds or can't/don't have anyone else willing/able/ in the area.

Trivial Pursuit 08-03-2008 04:50 PM

Hey…how do you run your laptop working for Heartland since you are not supposed to use any inverters whatsoever, even a cigarette lighter plug-in 400-watt inverter? I’m curious because I’m considering going regional with them, but I am accustomed to running my laptop for navigation and for the Internet.

headborg 08-03-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivial Pursuit
Hey…how do you run your laptop working for Heartland since you are not supposed to use any inverters whatsoever, even a cigarette lighter plug-in 400-watt inverter? I’m curious because I’m considering going regional with them, but I am accustomed to running my laptop for navigation and for the Internet.

you probably won't be able to use your laptop while moving- unless it's power needs are less than 12V-- many newer laptops require less voltage.

I have a long ext cord.
I keep a pet rat- that runs inside a wheel connected to a generator inside a cage-- I BBQ him right before I go into the terminal( as Pets are also not allowed in trucks). Have you ever tried BBQ rat?

Seriously though, I've found they sell DC adapters that will work -- taking that 12v-- 10amp from a cig socket and cut it down to say 6volt 3.3amp---
you're just gonna have to have a NEW laptop.

08-03-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Instead of keeping the lane moving, and flagging any trailer repair for another bay-- they hold up the entire show by repairing it -- right there.
With fuel prices as high as they are-- I would think -- there must be a better way.

Well, considering they pay you guys $0.00 for your time, I'd say they're getting a pretty good deal.

str.whl.hldr 08-04-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:

Well, considering they pay you guys $0.00 for your time, I'd say they're getting a pretty good deal.

I like this thread and I don't want it to go stray. But I'm jumping on.
Its one thing not to pay (value) your time, but systematically wasting your time is a whole different deal. Arrogance and/or complete stupidity on their part. But who cares about morale anyway, its only miles that matter. :shock:

If it was me I would have been debating just leaving the truck there, I wouldn't have done it though. It really is pathetic on Heartlands part. Is that the best system they can come up with. Maybe next time atleast they'll have somebody in a "heartland cares" t-shirt handing out bottled water. fbs

:roll:

evertruckerr 08-04-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you probably won't be able to use your laptop while moving- unless it's power needs are less than 12V-- many newer laptops require less voltage.

I have a long ext cord.
I keep a pet rat- that runs inside a wheel connected to a generator inside a cage-- I BBQ him right before I go into the terminal( as Pets are also not allowed in trucks). Have you ever tried BBQ rat?

Seriously though, I've found they sell DC adapters that will work -- taking that 12v-- 10amp from a cig socket and cut it down to say 6volt 3.3amp---
you're just gonna have to have a NEW laptop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's good to see the sense of humor is still intact! Thanks for the good laugh!

As far as the plug in adapters go, they are very easy to hide, how would they ever know. Some rules are so ridiculous they need to be broken on principal.

Trivial Pursuit 08-04-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Have you ever tried BBQ rat?
No…but I used to shoot tree rats! Well they look like rats after you skinned them, but I didn’t BBQ them. Instead, I smothered them up in a black iron pot with lots of onions and bell peppers. Uhm….good!

I believe their too stringent antiquated rules are going to be a deal breaker for me. It’s bad enough that their trucks are Internationals and then on top of it stripped down to the bone, but if you can’t even use your computer without breaking their rules, well then that is taking it to the extreme. Not to mention that now I’m spoiled using my laptop for navigation and I’m not about to go back to using a MCRA ever again! Someone needs to tell them this is the 21st century and that navigation programs saves them tons of out of route miles while at the same time they get more productivity from their drivers.

headborg 08-05-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever tried BBQ rat?
No…but I used to shoot tree rats! Well they look like rats after you skinned them, but I didn’t BBQ them. Instead, I smothered them up in a black iron pot with lots of onions and bell peppers. Uhm….good!

I believe their too stringent antiquated rules are going to be a deal breaker for me. It’s bad enough that their trucks are Internationals and then on top of it stripped down to the bone, but if you can’t even use your computer without breaking their rules, well then that is taking it to the extreme. Not to mention that now I’m spoiled using my laptop for navigation and I’m not about to go back to using a MCRA ever again! Someone needs to tell them this is the 21st century and that navigation programs saves them tons of out of route miles while at the same time they get more productivity from their drivers.

well, in a way-- I'm "old school" and "antiquated" myself-- I prefer a good ol fashion Atlas over a $300 laptop stand anyway....and besides I know my limitations-- having a open laptop within hands reach while driving would be an accident waiting to happen for me. Arizona, I believe-- has already started ticketing for having one open( using the No TV while driving rule)-- but I'm sure the "no texting" while driving will eventually be used too. Besides, after 14years of running these same ol highways-- I only need to glance at the atlas once in a while-- usually to find some small town in the back woods-- or just to reassure myself the route I selected is the most Practical one.--- Believe it or not-- that PcMiler or Delorme, and other softwares-- sometimes gets it wrong.. It can't THINK for you--- it doesn't take into account variables like-- when does that Scale master usually hang out the Big Word-- and stuff like that--- which roads have the big hills and curves either..

Getting a non-inverter DC car adapter for a laptop-- isn't that big a deal-- $150.00. But I do understand....

Hey, the lighting in these trucks is great. So is the speaker system.

Trivial Pursuit 08-05-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

well, in a way-- I'm "old school" and "antiquated" myself-- I prefer a good ol fashion Atlas over a $300 laptop stand anyway....and besides I know my limitations-- having a open laptop within hands reach while driving would be an accident waiting to happen for me.

I built my laptop stand out of ½ inch steel pipe, elbows, and a couple of flanges that I purchased at Home Depot for under $20 and have been using it now for a couple of years without any problems. Indeed, it is as solid and stable as a rock!

With different sized ½ inch nipples connected to elbows, you can build one to any dimensions and to fit any truck or car. You just anchor a flange to the passenger seat front inside bolt that bolts down the passenger seat to the floor, and if you use a quick disconnect screwed into your nipples near the floor like I did, then you can take it down and put it back up in about a second as well. It doesn’t get any better or easier than that!

As for as a laptop being a distraction, I hardly ever look at it unless I’m getting very close to my destination and have slowed down, as I mostly listen to it, and I can promise you that I make far less wrong turns after I started using it than I did before. Indeed, my out of route miles driven are exponentially far less than drivers that don’t use it.

Not to mention also, that unlike a MCRA, my software has street level mapping for every town and city in the USA and Canada. Hence, why wait until you are traveling to your shippers or consignees to find out that your directions that were provided are wrong, when you can find out long before you ever drive because you have street level mapping and have plenty of time to correct your directions beforehand? It not only makes your job much easier and less stressful, it makes it much safer as well!

Further, if you ever drive early in the morning before the sun rises and when it is so dark and foggy that you can’t see the road signs much less see the roads you must turn on to drive, you will appreciate using navigation software, as it will guide you to your shipper or consignee with precise voice guided turn by turn directions, fog or no fog. Also, how many times have you reached a road and there wasn’t any sign, or it was obscured by foliage? Not a problem with GPS guided navigation.

Not to mention also that I can route and plan a trip in a small fraction of the time that it takes you using an MCRA, pen, and paper, making me more productive and at the same time capable of earning more money, and to me…that’s what it is all about.

Quote:

Arizona, I believe-- has already started ticketing for having one open
They used to say the same thing about Florida. Hence, for the longest time I used to flip the screen down when I drove through Florida weigh and inspection stations until I finally had the opportunity to personally ask a Florida trooper who laughed at the question. Likewise, with Arizona, if you are using your laptop for navigation, it is legal. However, if you are cruising the Internet or texting your friends while driving, well then that’s a different story entirely.

Quote:

Besides, after 14years of running these same ol highways-- I only need to glance at the atlas once in a while-- usually to find some small town in the back woods-- or just to reassure myself the route I selected is the most Practical one.--- Believe it or not-- that PcMiler or Delorme, and other softwares-- sometimes gets it wrong.. It can't THINK for you--- it doesn't take into account variables like-- when does that Scale master usually hang out the Big Word-- and stuff like that--- which roads have the big hills and curves either.
I can’t argue with any of that, as I too often make changes and adjustments depending on different situations to suggested routes simply because over time I have also become very familiar with the roads or prefer to take different routes, but you can do that just as easily using navigation software as you can using a MCRA. Not to mention also that the vast majority of truck drivers haven’t been driving for nearly as long as you and are thus not yet as productive and experienced as you are as well.

Plus I can’t count how many times I was stuck in a traffic backup, and used my navigation software to quickly route around it, because unlike a MCRA, my navigation software has street level mapping where the MCRA doesn’t. Indeed, I always open up several instances of my navigation software when I start my day for those inevitable circumstances that always unexpectedly arise from time to time. You never know, it’s better to be prepared.

Not to mention also that I already have all of my terminals and most of my shippers and consignees marked on my GPS navigation software and also have indicated whether or not they are drop and hooks, live loads, live unloads, or a combination of the above.

Quote:

Hey, the lighting in these trucks is great. So is the speaker system.
Yeah, I agree…I checked them out, but the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Weazz 08-05-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

On my last trip to Henderson Nevada I had two Blue Shaffer trucks with Red Crete trailers go by me South on the I 15.

And this week I received yet another letter from the Shaffer recruiter wanting me to go there.....

Do you know if they are force dispatch? (Shaffer)

headborg 08-05-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weazz
Quote:

On my last trip to Henderson Nevada I had two Blue Shaffer trucks with Red Crete trailers go by me South on the I 15.

And this week I received yet another letter from the Shaffer recruiter wanting me to go there.....

Do you know if they are force dispatch? (Shaffer)

they are Non-forced dispatch-- crete/shaffer

they sometimes(less often now with fuel prices so high) used to offer you Load selections-- 2-3-4 different skeleton load offers- and you can chose which one you'd like to run) But now with Shaffer Dispatchers getting in trouble if they deadhead a truck more than 50 miles--- those multi- selections are very scarce . But it has been 6 weeks--- maybe they've changed that.

headborg 08-05-2008 06:29 PM

Week in progress;

1633 as of tonight Saturday-Tuesday

short hauls don't add up

lost 4 hours at O'Fallon drop yard-- picking up one of these 'short hauls'-- they come in at 7am and place glade hand locks on all the trailers-- I had to deadhead in from Columbia, Mo- couldn't start my 14 until 5:15 am-- and just made it through the fuel island and was trying to hook and run--- mechanic placed lock on the load and forced me thru the inspection line-- despite my telling him -- the load was suppose to deliver at noon in Davenport-- couldn't leave the yard until 11am.

Weazz 08-05-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

mechanic placed lock on the load and forced me thru the inspection line-- despite my telling him -- the load was suppose to deliver at noon in Davenport-- couldn't leave the yard until 11am.

How are they on late loads? And who's at fault you or the mechanic?
Unless something major i cant belive they would do that. gotta keep the customers happy you know :)