Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   2008 Shaffer-Heartland CHRONICLES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32145-2008-shaffer-heartland-chronicles.html)

Bumper 08-17-2008 04:39 AM

Well if he writes down that you were traveling too fast for road conditions and caused this pressure wave and it knocked her off the roadway your in for it!!!!

So how far into your cell phone call to dispatch did you get before they asked if the load was in one piece????

Hell of a way to get a new truck buddy!!!

headborg 08-17-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Glad your ok Borgie.

thanks..... I was hauling a load of rubber- picked up down there in Orange, Tx your neck of the woods...

yep, someone was looking out for her & me today--- real close call-- if the timing/speed/distance-- my reaction time-- had been just a little different-
I would have hit her square on-- head on---- and there would have been nothing I could have done-- I'm certain, it would have killed her, rolled her or I'd been right over the top of her.

I was also very lucky there was no one in that right lane beside me or coming down one or both of the two lanes that were merging on right there--
I swerved to keep from striking her -- square on--and never had time to check that right mirror--- if there had been someone there...... I'd probably be in jail right now--- trying to explain a much worse accident.

Drew10 08-17-2008 05:01 AM

Wow....Glad everybody was OK, headborg. Hoping for a good outcome for you.
Sounds like she was definitly traveling to fast for the conditions. She needs to count her blessing that you reacted the way you did.
We have all been on roadways with that kind of rain with ponding/standing water and vehicles traveling to fast on it. Makes you wonder what they are thinking or not.

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

Glad your ok Borgie.

thanks..... I was hauling a load of rubber- picked up down there in Orange, Tx your neck of the woods...

yep, someone was looking out for her & me today--- real close call-- if the timing/speed/distance-- my reaction time-- had been just a little different-
I would have hit her square on-- head on---- and there would have been nothing I could have done-- I'm certain, it would have killed her, rolled her or I'd been right over the top of her.

I was also very lucky there was no one in that right lane beside me or coming down one or both of the two lanes that were merging on right there--
I swerved to keep from striking her -- square on--and never had time to check that right mirror--- if there had been someone there...... I'd probably be in jail right now--- trying to explain a much worse accident.

Hmmmmm....Firestone...Goodyear..or Dupont??

headborg 08-17-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Sounds like she was definitly traveling to fast for the conditions. She needs to count her blessing that you reacted the way you did.
We have all been on roadways with that kind of rain with ponding/standing water and vehicles traveling to fast on it. Makes you wonder what they are thinking or not.

yeah, well-- I know it doesn't look too good- a whole 8 weeks here and now this.

Let's see- I left Orange, Tx at 8:30am, stopped in Hammond for fuel/ lunch-- then hit Mobile at 4:30pm-- she was on her way to Work. It had been raining all day, so the "oily" slick should have been beat off already-- it was just totally bazaar--- one second she was passing just like all the other people on the road-- my slow truck, then suddenly she's doing donuts in front of me.

headborg 08-17-2008 05:28 AM

definately after this--- I'm getting that forward facing camcorder set up.

Ridge Runner 08-17-2008 05:53 AM

Glad you and the lady in the 4 wheeler are ok. Please keep us posted as things progress ( if you can from a legal standpoint ). Always keep in mind that nobody was hurt badly or worse.

headborg 08-17-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Glad you and the lady in the 4 wheeler are ok. Please keep us posted as things progress ( if you can from a legal standpoint ). Always keep in mind that nobody was hurt badly or worse.

Well, I was just holding off- not sure if the Safety Department would be upset -- posting pics of an accident-- this early- b4 I even get a hold of the actual accident report- and see what her "official statement" was-- at least 4 different officers stood there and heard her describe that she spun out of control in the path of our truck. She wasn't even sure if she had hit the wall or me-- and I'm not sure if she had hit the wall too--- all I know is I did clip her as she was spinning around face to face with me.

Bumper 08-17-2008 06:17 AM

Did you lay your rig over or just end up in the ditch?

headborg 08-17-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumper
Did you lay your rig over or just end up in the ditch?

It was a big deep V-ditch, there was no keeping her up straight- she laid over and I slide on the side for 60-80 feet until it came to a stop.

Bumper 08-17-2008 06:52 AM

Ouch.

can of paint and a new side mirror and your on your way!

vavega 08-17-2008 07:40 AM

i'm a lurker to your story here headborg, but it's good to know that you're all ok. :D

were there any witness's other than you and the lady in the car?

cya you know :wink:

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10

yeah, well-- I know it doesn't look too good- a whole 8 weeks here and now this.

Let's see- I left Orange, Tx at 8:30am, stopped in Hammond for fuel/ lunch-- then hit Mobile at 4:30pm-- she was on her way to Work. It had been raining all day, so the "oily" slick should have been beat off already-- it was just totally bazaar--- one second she was passing just like all the other people on the road-- my slow truck, then suddenly she's doing donuts in front of me.

MM10----I65, Mobile. That stretch of road is not the smoothest in Alabama....and traffic loves to fly up through there, raining or not.

What are the chances the lane ruts through there were still full of water??

headborg 08-17-2008 08:53 AM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300923.jpg

headborg 08-17-2008 08:56 AM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300922.jpg

headborg 08-17-2008 09:00 AM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300924.jpg

ironeagle_2006 08-17-2008 11:40 AM

Headborg good to hear you are OK also her life or the ditch you made the right choice in that matter. Trucks can be repaired replaced a life can not be.

mommee 08-17-2008 01:02 PM

Glad everyone was okay and could walk away from the accident.

Bumper 08-17-2008 02:29 PM

Thats some tall grass...you might just need the new mirror, not the paint. :lol:

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Rather cool to see that she paced you into the ditch the way she did!

Both she and her family will be thanking themselves every time they drive by that spot, because you were such a "Nice" guy, and ditched it.

Now....let us pray....That Heartland Express feels the same way about you, come mid-day monday!!!!!

With luck they give you another truck and trailer, and don't kill your career over this.

headborg 08-17-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rather cool to see that she paced you into the ditch the way she did!

Both she and her family will be thanking themselves every time they drive by that spot, because you were such a "Nice" guy, and ditched it.

Now....let us pray....That Heartland Express feels the same way about you, come mid-day monday!!!!!

With luck they give you another truck and trailer, and don't kill your career over this.

she didn't pace me.... I believe that is what's known as "english" when I clipped her spinning vehicle with my glancing hit-- it sent her along a parallel course-- yes, pacing right there beside my rig the whole time-- there's no way I could have stayed on the road-- without going over her with the trailer.

Also, notice in the first picture-- how lucky, how close I came to taking down that over-freeway sign-- just 20 or 30 feet sooner-- I'd had a pole through my cab-- that overhead sign would have came down across the hi-way-- and then there would have been many more secondary collisions.

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 07:40 PM

Are you done shaking now???

Did you get to a clinic and get the wizz test done..BEFORE you sat down and had a couple???

You did good fella. Your alive.

She is alive. (Is she a good lookin young lady???) :D :D

You had a truck that was still useable...after some minor repair work.

Sure as hell beats the alternatives.

headborg 08-17-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Are you done shaking now???

Did you get to a clinic and get the wizz test done..BEFORE you sat down and had a couple???

You did good fella. Your alive.

She is alive. (Is she a good lookin young lady???) :D :D

You had a truck that was still useable...after some minor repair work.

Sure as hell beats the alternatives.

shaking...no...i didn't shake-- except for the cold air-- i was soaking wet- and to stand around the shoulder of the road for 5 hours.

no shaking-- I was more like numb....stunned that so much could happen in a blink of an eye.

No whiz test...yet... Not At Fault...though I'm sure Monday Post accident?

there was just several Huggs between me and the lady( 2 years older)-- yes, she was nice and attractive....reminded of this-- as I climbed out the driver's door like a u-boat captain-- Picture-- water pouring down thru the conning tower hatch-
there she was just standing there-- and her first words were ---"are you Ok?"

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...chards-wet.jpg

But the woman was wearing underwear. Soaking wet just the same.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300925.jpg

hit her head on--- she was spun 180 degrees facing me-- and I managed to only clip her with the corner bumper----
I'm sure, had I hit her square on--full force- I'd been having that whiz quiz last night, and this would have had a completely different -- tragic ending-- by the time they finished combing thru the wreckage-- trying to figure out where/what angle the first impact was---the scene wouldn't have been so -- straight forward.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300940.jpg

found her Hood ornament -- half way down the bank in the path my truck plowed.

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 08:13 PM

T'is a far far better thing to have her standing there doing the; "Are you ok??" thing......

Then to find her standing there doing the; "You rotten @#$%$#@%*(%$ truck drivin piece of &^$@@%*( look what you did!!!" thing.

OK....Saddle UP !!!

Oh yeah...fergot to mention....when her friends are done puttin crap in her ears...Your gonna get sued so bad!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

But only AFTER her friends are done puttin crap in her ears!!!!

headborg 08-17-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

T'is a far far better thing to have her standing there doing the; "Are you ok??" thing......

Then to find her standing there doing the; "You rotten @#$%$#@%*(%$ truck drivin piece of &^$@@%*( look what you did!!!" thing.

OK....Saddle UP !!!

Oh yeah...fergot to mention....when her friends are done puttin crap in her ears...Your gonna get sued so bad!!!!!

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of most--- is the Oh crap-- next day--- joy of being alive wares off-- and now it's neck pain, etc.

I was just glad, she didn't change her story - right there when the police arrived. And a dozen people witnessed her-- leaving with her Husband with no injury.

Bumper 08-17-2008 08:27 PM

So did you save the hood ornament so you could mount it on your drivers door?????

J/K

headborg 08-17-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

OK....Saddle UP !!!

See-- this shows you've been driving too long--- My wife would say this is a very Negative Attitude to have-- believing everyone in the world is out to
Sue/ screw you over.
She tells me all the time, trucking has made me so PARANOID ---- Glad to see I'm not the only one.

P.S. it's kinda mean of you to LOL about a fellow driver --- getting sued

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OK....Saddle UP !!!

See-- this shows you've been driving too long--- My wife would say this is a very Negative Attitude to have-- believing everyone in the world is out to
Sue/ screw you over.
She tells me all the time, trucking has made me so PARANOID ---- Glad to see I'm not the only one.

P.S. it's kinda mean of you to LOL about a fellow driver --- getting sued

Seriously...I doubt you get sued by her. Heartland yeah maybe...but if she is really from that area...Your gonna get cards every so often maybe...but not sued.

And..you didn't look at the ( :P ) at the end of the :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

freebirdrfd 08-17-2008 10:57 PM

i'm g ad to hear that you are both o.k....... 8)

RebelDarlin 08-18-2008 03:09 AM

Glad you're ok HB.

evertruckerr 08-19-2008 02:14 AM

Good Lord Headborg, I can't get online for a couple of days and the first thing I click on is a picture of your rig on its' side. Instantly turned my stomach in knots!

Not a good day for sure, but at least everyone walked away.

It's amazing how fast that can happen, same thing happened to me a few year back, but I was lucky enough to barely miss a very wide eyed driver in the car facing me as they flew into the ditch.

So, is the company standing behind you and getting you back on the road or are you still waiting for the final word.

As always, best wish's bud :!:

headborg 08-19-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Good Lord Headborg, I can't get online for a couple of days and the first thing I click on is a picture of your rig on its' side. Instantly turned my stomach in knots!

Not a good day for sure, but at least everyone walked away.

It's amazing how fast that can happen, same thing happened to me a few year back, but I was lucky enough to barely miss a very wide eyed driver in the car facing me as they flew into the ditch.

So, is the company standing behind you and getting you back on the road or are you still waiting for the final word.

As always, best wish's bud :!:

Well, Monday Morning-- the first thing I did was get a complete copy of the accident report from the Police Department-- cya and get my "ducks" in a row- I got all the information the police collected at the scene from the other driver. I wanted to make sure the accident report and her statement-- was in sync with my description of events.... they did-- almost-- apparently, she reported to the police that she hit the center divider wall- first and sustained the frontal damage to her car-- the careened into the path of my vehicle--- not exactly what I recall-- but still ok--- got to get off now-- the 2nd Driver is on way to pick me up from the
Lobby of 2nd Hotel to take me to 'recover' my next- junk truck up n Charlotte, NC.

Drew10 08-19-2008 07:47 PM

Thanks for the update Headborg....Hoping for the best. :)

felix5oh 08-20-2008 02:19 AM

So theres a southeast Regional out of Jacksonville that will get me home every weekend and pays .41 per miles. He says 2000 to 2300 miles per week pulling general freight.

My question is? How busy are they?
I wouldnt want to leave my job for the same problems im having here.

evertruckerr 08-20-2008 02:54 AM

Headborg wrote:

Quote:

.........the 2nd Driver is on way to pick me up from the
Lobby of 2nd Hotel to take me to 'recover' my next- junk truck up n Charlotte, NC.
Apparently the first one wasn't "junkie" enough for you. :shock:

Maybe they will let you put a set of training wheels on the next one :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Was flying debris a problem for you during all of this, I have always wondered what it would be like to have all of my belongings bouncing around me if I ever rolled over. Also, did you have any problems getting out when it was all over.

Hopefully I'm not offending you, my curiosity is just getting the best of me.

headborg 08-20-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Headborg wrote:

Quote:

.........the 2nd Driver is on way to pick me up from the
Apparently the first one wasn't "junkie" enough for you. :shock:

Maybe they will let you put a set of training wheels on the next one :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Was flying debris a problem for you during all of this, I have always wondered what it would be like to have all of my belongings bouncing around me if I ever rolled over. Also, did you have any problems getting out when it was all over.

Hopefully I'm not offending you, my curiosity is just getting the best of me.

Regrettably, I can't help but be offended by that "training wheels" remark + the 1st remark about the 1st truck not junkie enough -- which I all too clearly understand exactly what is implied by it.

So, no-- I won't bother to answer what is an obvious answer about debris or climbing out. Have a nice day.

headborg 08-20-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix5oh
So theres a southeast Regional out of Jacksonville that will get me home every weekend and pays .41 per miles. He says 2000 to 2300 miles per week pulling general freight.

My question is? How busy are they?
I wouldnt want to leave my job for the same problems im having here.

I can't speak or give any good hard numbers for regional out of Jacksonville-- seems each region is dispatched- operated somewhat independent of the other regions... they all kinda "compete" for top productivity. So far, this 1st driver that recovered me from the crash above-- is out of Jacksonville-- been here 2 weeks so far and claims they've delivered everything they've promised ....so far. Then again, he also claimed to be 23year vet driver-- and a setting member of the NTSB. Guess, he takes time off from trucking to go to Washington for those meetings.

Yes, they have plenty of freight--- should be easily able to keep you rolling.

As for those "same" problems--- if just lack of miles is the only ...not here.

But, then again---- what are some of the "other" problems you're currently
facing?

BlooMoose 08-20-2008 08:12 PM

Headborg - how are YOU feeling now? Obviously, you are ok...but are you sore? Did you have to go get checked out? I only say that because sometimes, it's not immediately evident that you have hurt something. What a bummer, dude...you say you were only there for like 8 weeks? God, I hope you get done right.

headborg 08-21-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlooMoose
Headborg - how are YOU feeling now? Obviously, you are ok...but are you sore? Did you have to go get checked out? I only say that because sometimes, it's not immediately evident that you have hurt something. What a bummer, dude...you say you were only there for like 8 weeks? God, I hope you get done right.

Sunday Night after soaking in a hot tube(nice Hotel-- just 1/2 mile WALK from where they towed the truck & where they dropped me off Saturday Night( where they drop all the mis-fortunate)- Hampton Inn

found several bruises -- hip bone, arms, shoulders, elbow and neck--- the neck was the worse-- caused by the seat belt -- these International there is no adjustment where the shoulder strap is fastened to the wall( no adjustment up/down) so the seat belt sometimes rides across my Neck.

But, I wasn't gonna make a federal case out of it.

headborg 08-21-2008 04:27 AM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/S7300927.jpg

this was the only damage to her car-- where I clipped her head-on with the corner left edge of my front bumper -- while steering to avoid killing her.