Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   2008 Shaffer-Heartland CHRONICLES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32145-2008-shaffer-heartland-chronicles.html)

Weazz 08-08-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Looks like week will end-- at 2776 HHG miles for 7 days- I'll be in Ft. Smith, Ar out of hours until Friday Mid-night( Saturday Morning 00:01)

still not home yet.

That's another thing-- these short hauls burn up more 15 minutes and the slow truck(63) and log department only allows 60mph--- all burn hours --- I'm gonna have to start logging like before My Crete days-- there's no way 2800 miles should have consumed all my hours. Maybe, just log the Rand McMythic Miles.

Why is it you can run 63 and they want you to log 60 i never could understand that.

I ran fl to ca and reached around 710 to 750 miles per shift in a 70mph truck. As long as traffic was good. and didnt make alot of stops. but then i drove nights and that helps. But they didnt want me to log my miles for the day in the 700's. Yes when it comes to the paperwork im prolly one of the biggest noobs. not like i could speed. So it should be all legal..right? And when i run, Im on a mission, Run hard and try to do my 11 hours without stopping. when im outta drive time then i relax, So why do they do that?

headborg 08-08-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weazz
Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Looks like week will end-- at 2776 HHG miles for 7 days- I'll be in Ft. Smith, Ar out of hours until Friday Mid-night( Saturday Morning 00:01)

still not home yet.

That's another thing-- these short hauls burn up more 15 minutes and the slow truck(63) and log department only allows 60mph--- all burn hours --- I'm gonna have to start logging like before My Crete days-- there's no way 2800 miles should have consumed all my hours. Maybe, just log the Rand McMythic Miles.

Why is it you can run 63 and they want you to log 60 i never could understand that.

I ran fl to ca and reached around 710 to 750 miles per shift in a 70mph truck. As long as traffic was good. and didnt make alot of stops. but then i drove nights and that helps. But they didnt want me to log my miles for the day in the 700's. Yes when it comes to the paperwork im prolly one of the biggest noobs. not like i could speed. So it should be all legal..right? And when i run, Im on a mission, Run hard and try to do my 11 hours without stopping. when im outta drive time then i relax, So why do they do that?

Well, a truck that is governed at 63 isn't going to be able to 'average' 63; same goes for a truck set at 70. Then there's the speed limit issue-- if the speed limit in a state is say: 65 like most states(read: majority) then IF you were running legal speed limit-- you'd still have to SLOW down some times--- now, you're down to averaging below 62mph.

so-- 62x11hrs= 682 max logged miles in a 11-hour cross interstate trip.

now, if you're running in states with a 70mph speed limit-- and you have a 70 mph truck-- you MIGHT average 68( which would give you a max of 748miles driven in a 11 hour tour.

But, I don't believe there are any 70mph states that HAVE a 748 mile Length of interstate Pavement? Texas?I-10? is it 70 for trucks? daytime?

Weazz 08-08-2008 04:36 AM

lol...well true...there was a few towns i rolled alittle fast through..and ahhhhh texas at 65 at night past van horn is a must.

but i didnt do 750 alot (maybe once), mostly it was in the lower 700's
but logging it in the 600's didnt make sence to me

headborg 08-08-2008 11:43 PM

Week#7 final figures.

2703 HHG miles in 7 days.

Ok, I haven't been driving for any of these "regional" OTR companies or doing the 8-10 out 2 day home figures... so some input would be greatly appreciated....

will have been out 8.5 days total when home tomorrow for 'maybe' 34 hours at home. Will have 2703+(488- day#1)+ 241 left to get home(paid)= 3432 for 8.5 day tour( home- home) Is this typical?

Otherwise; my bank account is doing better than Shaffer weeks.

I research it: First week of August:

2005- 2922 miles
2006- 3695 miles
2007- 2103 miles

* 2008 2703 well, at least it is better than last year.

Now, next week's historical records;

2005- 2745
2006- -0-
2007 1133

should be easy to beat last two years- Pars.

Drew10 08-09-2008 12:37 AM

Headborg wrote:
Quote:

there's no way 2800 miles should have consumed all my hours. Maybe, just log the Rand McMythic Miles.
Headborg, you're right you shouldnt be using all your hours with only 2800 miles run.
If you recall I drive for Werner. Multi stop, single customer. Im typically 3000-3500 per 7day week, and typically pickle my 70 before I can reach a recap.

Quote:

-- these short hauls burn up more 15 minutes and the slow truck(63) and log department only allows 60mph
I dont agree with the "log police" dictating how fast (speed) you can log. and besides, isnt that "speed averaging", and isnt that illegal? Even if they are only dictating the "high" side. Logs are based on time, not speed. Speeding (or not) in a state is the driver responsibility not the log department. Your logs are yours not the log dept. All they are doing is reviewing the logs for matchs and logging accuracy.
On my good days I have ran about 720 miles in a 11hr drive. Even did just over 750 (once) (im still scratching my head on that one). In a 65 mph governed truck with electronic logs. I know with paper logs DOT would have a field day with a 700 mile day in a 65mph governed truck. But you cant argue with the Electronic logs, as they are accurate.
Its all in how you "swing" the 15min log period.
I figure the worst DOT could do, if they audited my logs at a scale house would be to cite me for speeding, within the states that have speed limits less than my governer.

headborg 08-09-2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Headborg wrote:
Quote:

there's no way 2800 miles should have consumed all my hours. Maybe, just log the Rand McMythic Miles.
Headborg, you're right you shouldnt be using all your hours with only 2800 miles run.
If you recall I drive for Werner. Multi stop, single customer. Im typically 3000-3500 per 7day week, and typically pickle my 70 before I can reach a recap.

Quote:

-- these short hauls burn up more 15 minutes and the slow truck(63) and log department only allows 60mph
I dont agree with the "log police" dictating how fast (speed) you can log. and besides, isnt that "speed averaging", and isnt that illegal? Even if they are only dictating the "high" side. Logs are based on time, not speed. Speeding (or not) in a state is the driver responsibility not the log department. Your logs are yours not the log dept. All they are doing is reviewing the logs for matchs and logging accuracy.
On my good days I have ran about 720 miles in a 11hr drive. Even did just over 750 (once) (im still scratching my head on that one). In a 65 mph governed truck with electronic logs. I know with paper logs DOT would have a field day with a 700 mile day in a 65mph governed truck. But you cant argue with the Electronic logs, as they are accurate.
Its all in how you "swing" the 15min log period.
I figure the worst DOT could do, if they audited my logs at a scale house would be to cite me for speeding, within the states that have speed limits less than my governer.

Yeah, well when I wrote that -- I wasn't really thinking in exact math anyway-- 1. 2800 miles was what I was projecting as HHG miles for 7 days--- turned out to be 2703 HHG,

2. It's 70 hours in 8 days-- so we need to factor in that 488 HHG miles from day#1 giving us 3191 HHG to log at 60mph(company policy).....
but it's not really 3191--- it's really:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...borg/miles.jpg

3358 practical miles @ 60mph= 57.5 hours on line 3

+ On duty, not driving
day#1- .5
#2- 1
#3- .75
#4- 1
#5- 1.25
#6- .75
#7- 1
#8- .75

7 hours on duty, not driving

for a total( theorical ) of 64.5 used

should have 5.5 hours left.......but I don't

that's what I get for running those back roads(short rt) or lets face it-- I logged it the way I drove it.

another problem here at Heartland is:

they require you to transflow your logs within 6 days.

which means--- you have a much smaller window of opportunity for going back and "squeezing" or "editing" a previous day prior to submitting it.

then again, that's so much work-- re drawing all those lines....

the most a scale house could do as far as issuing a "speeding" ticket for speeding in your log book-- It would have to be in THAT STATE.

Then again, the DOT in Rock Island, Il-- told me-- the Judge would laugh him out of the court room-- if he brought a driver in on something like
that:

the situation was another driver logged: Chicago to Rock Island in 1 hour-- I got a ticket for being 15 minutes over 10 hour limit ( 5 miles from consignee) the other guy got to leave with an obvious false log. Both picked up same shipper going same place.

Drew10 08-09-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah, well when I wrote that -- I wasn't really thinking in exact math anyway-- 1. 2800 miles was what I was projecting as HHG miles for 7 days--- turned out to be 2703 HHG,

2. It's 70 hours in 8 days-- so we need to factor in that 488 HHG miles from day#1 giving us 3191 HHG to log at 60mph(company policy).....
but it's not really 3191--- it's really:
I should clarify also. When ever I reference "miles". Its what equats to my "payed" miles or HHG. Not my actual Odo miles. So my 3000-3500 would equate to my payed trip miles or HHG.
Referencing my "daily" drivers to logging are actual Odo.

Weazz 08-09-2008 02:44 AM

bump :oops:

Drew10 08-09-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

which means--- you have a much smaller window of opportunity for going back and "squeezing" or "editing" a previous day prior to submitting it.
Oh...and that transflow...I dont know how you guys (and other companies) do it...and taking time to dot the i's cross the t's, and making a fuel Island stop (possibly, one you really dont need) to a transflow in time to get them to the home office.
Im not "pumping" up the electronic logs. But damn, there has to be a better way to do it.

headborg 08-09-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:

Oh...and that transflow...I dont know how you guys (and other companies) do it...and taking time to dot the i's cross the t's, and making a fuel Island stop (possibly, one you really dont need) to a transflow in time to get them to the home office.
Im not "pumping" up the electronic logs. But damn, there has to be a better way to do it.

Hey Drew, is there any truth to that rumor that Warner trucks will automatically shut down -- if you go over your 11 or 14 or 70? Leave you dead on the side of the road?
I just couldn't work any place like that-- the logging for you is nice and never having to do that work and all-
Does Warner pay HHG or Practical?
I'm assuming HHG or you wouldn't have written what you did?
So, with their computer logging your "actual" miles-- there's no way for you to "cheat"--- that's really like hand cuffing your arms behind you-- then kicking the crap out of you..

The limit on the transflow here at Heartland would appear to be the following Wednesday after Friday Mid-night--- of course, they would like it within 24hours of getting empty. So, really that's no big deal-- and Heartland is much better than some other companies-- example:
Crete/Shaffer-- payroll cut-off is midnight Friday, but so is the deadline for transmitting the POD( proof of Delivery- i.e. signed bills) which makes running a load in late friday night difficult and you might not be able to get it to a Love's or Pilot by Midnight-- so it ends up on the next weeks payroll.
Wouldn't think that's a big deal at Crete-- but the old Shaffer- you sometimes had single loads for 3-5 days( one trip) So, a guy could go a week without much of a paycheck there, ending up with a "good" check every other week.