Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   2008 Shaffer-Heartland CHRONICLES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32145-2008-shaffer-heartland-chronicles.html)

freebirdrfd 08-16-2008 01:22 AM

i was thinking about goin to work for shaffer, but it seems like most o.t.r. companys like to give you the run around. plus the home time aint all that great. living just outside of providence, i was hoping to swing by the house few days a week. 8)

gnicholson30 08-16-2008 02:04 AM

Well I like to say I have been reading (lurking) your post for about 9 or 10 months now and I do enjoy all your post headborg. Very detailed. Nice. I drove for 8 years then left to do sales for 8 years and now I'm thinking about getting back into trucking and going to Shaffer or Crete or Heartland. Not much has changed over the years (i.e. miles,home time, pay, dispatcher, lies,wait times, all the same bit*hs from years ago) Love all the info. Keep it up. and Thank you for all your time you put into it Headborg.

If your ever in Detroit call me we will do lunch!

Greg

driver67373 08-16-2008 11:53 PM

Disclaimer: This is NOT a post bashing OTR Drivers...

Now, headborg, I was wondering if you had ever considered going local, geting paid by the hour and being home every night. It really seems that would take away much of the frustrations you are encountering. Get witn a good LTL for a few years and you can make really good money...So, why not?

headborg 08-17-2008 03:37 AM

Location ...Location..location

I live in Mountain Home, Ar-

I believe last time i checked-- King ready mix- ready mix & dump trucks--

they start a newbie off at 9.50 a hour

Hiland Dairy starts at 7.75 a hour

not much industry around here

headborg 08-17-2008 03:55 AM

Take the ditch, or take a life?

Today, a 2004 Honda Element spun out directly in front of me after passing me I-65 MM 10 in Mobile on the very slick rainy road, I steered to avoid hitting her- but still clipped her front hood as she spun around like a top directly in my path---- ended up on my side in the ditch-- as the shoulder was simply a v-bank (ditch) and it was either take the ditch or her life.

Thankfully, no one was injured--- and I was sooooo relieved to climb out of the truck-- and see her standing there-- asking--- "if I was OK"--- I was certain that she was TOAST- not knowing how hard/what damage the impact with my corner bumper caused or if she continued to spin around in the middle lane and be hit several more times by subsequent traffic.
But lucky she ended up right there beside me in the ditch--

P.s.-- Heartland's International 9400 seat belts could cut a short person's head off-- as there's no adjustment on the wall and it rides right at my neck. It's also interesting to watch the wet grass and mud slide by the passenger window while hanging from the safety belt.

I have pictures but waiting to find out if it's Ok to post them here..

Guess, I'll be e-mailing them in Monday.

Colin 08-17-2008 03:57 AM

Holy shit.

Glad you're okay. Looking forward to the pics, if you can.

Jumbo 08-17-2008 04:00 AM

Luckily you are both ok.

Bumper 08-17-2008 04:13 AM

It will be interesting to see how they file this on your DAC and DMV.

Get a copy of the report ASAP!!! You need to know the Primary Collision Factor and who was the partol found to be at fault.

Glad your ok dude. and her too.

headborg 08-17-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumper
It will be interesting to see how they file this on your DAC and DMV.

Get a copy of the report ASAP!!! You need to know the Primary Collision Factor and who was the partol found to be at fault.

Glad your ok dude. and her too.

yep, doing that Monday for sure....

but the 1/2 dozen "first responders" that showed up-- seemed to indicate it was pretty - cut and dry.

what was interesting was having the patrol officer explain his theory of what caused her to hydro-plane just after passing me...

he blamed it on the "pressure wave" that a large truck makes while traveling down the hi-way--- when she passed me-- she suddenly "broke free of that pressure wall-- and suddenly - went into a acceleration skid-- those Honda Elements are nothing more that a Box on 4 wheels-- he said breaking that pressure wall as she passed me-- could have caused her car to start to rock too.

Heck I don't know-- but he made sound good anyway.

Orangetxguy 08-17-2008 04:36 AM

Glad your ok Borgie.