Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Maverick Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/26675-maverick-trucking.html)

rjm522 05-03-2007 10:11 PM

Maverick Trucking

I called the recruiter this afternoon and inquired about a driving position. I have no CDL so I would need to go to their school. He told me that it would be 6 to 8 months out before they had a spot. Even if I had a CDL from a driving school it would be 5 to 7 weeks to get into their training program. Needless to say I was disappointed. I need to start making money now and I just can't wait 8 months to get into their school.

This does say alot about their operation though. They must be doing something right to have that many in the que to be drivers.

Any suggestions from you folks out there in cyberspace as to where I could go from here? I liked Maverick because they get you home on the weekends and pay better. Anybody else out there offer something similar?

rontwo 05-03-2007 10:36 PM

my husband works for mavericks specialized division.. the home time is every 2 weeks instead of every week, however chances are they will get you on the road quicker than the flatbed side.

fireman932003 05-04-2007 12:49 AM

Try looking into TMC. From what I have read on here they seem to be pretty decent. Talk to FlatbedFred, I believe he works for them.

05-04-2007 04:24 AM

If I wanted to pull a skateboard, I'd definitely go for maverick.

You know what a white glove inspection is? If you haven't been in the Marine corps. I'll explain, what the kind folks at TMC do is they put on a pair of white cotton gloves and go all over the interior and exterior of your truck and if the gloves get dirty, guess what? Demerit points = no bonus. Your bed better be made too :lol: Harold Annett is not a nice guy.

I know guys that currently work there are going to cry BS but, I live in Des Moines and know guys who used to work there.

So if you want to spend alot of time at the streakin' beacon, go work for TMC.

terrylamar 05-04-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
If I wanted to pull a skateboard, I'd definitely go for maverick.

You know what a white glove inspection is? If you haven't been in the Marine corps. I'll explain, what the kind folks at TMC do is they put on a pair of white cotton gloves and go all over the interior and exterior of your truck and if the gloves get dirty, guess what? Demerit points = no bonus. Your bed better be made too :lol: Harold Annett is not a nice guy.

I know guys that currently work there are going to cry BS but, I live in Des Moines and know guys who used to work there.

So if you want to spend alot of time at the streakin' beacon, go work for TMC.

It's funny, I hear about these white glove inspecitons all the time, from people who have never worked for TMC as a driver. I'm curious, has any TMC driver ever had a white glove inspection? And what's with the complaints about washing your truck once a week, actually, you pull into a truck was and some one else washes it, you get to sit there and drink a cup of coffee. TMC abuses me so badly. It's a shame they give me over $1,000.00 per month, otherwise I just couldn't tolerate it.

madii'swife 05-11-2007 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrylamar
It's a shame they give me over $1,000.00 per month, otherwise I just couldn't tolerate it.

Funny, if TMC only pays $1000 a MONTH, its a wonder they keep drivers :lol:

GoldiesPlating 05-11-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Maverick Trucking

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm522
Needless to say I was disappointed. I need to start making money now and I just can't wait 8 months to get into their school.

This does say alot about their operation though. They must be doing something right to have that many in the que to be drivers.

I liked Maverick because they get you home on the weekends and pay better. Anybody else out there offer something similar?

OR so little freight that they CAN'T hire any more drivers. If a company NEEDS drivers, they buy more trucks and hire more drivers. They don't make you wait months to start because they are so "good". I've heard lots of good things about Maverick but a wait time of MONTHS is unreasonable. They should just say they are not hiring at this time.
TMC gets you home every weekend (46/52 guaranteed in writing), pays over $1000.00 per WEEK (M's wife) and I know Harold who happens to be a SWEETHEART. Those that haven't worked here (or CAN'T work here) often have "what to say". Personally? I love my job AND my company and no I am NOT paid to say that and NO I don't get paid a "bonus" to get new guys to sign up. I'm with TMC a little over a year now, have had TWO brand new Peterbilt 379's (One OTR truck and my current day cab)since I've started and make close to $60,000/year.

arky 05-12-2007 04:08 AM

Don't let Fred sugar coat TMC too much. He may not be paid to recruit drivers, but he's definitely motivated, huh? Oh...I'm sure it's just out of pure love for his fellow man. Especially when he goes to the trouble of building and maintaining a website AND a toll free number for driver recruitment. Geez, how stupid does he think you guys are?

BUT, if I were trying to get on with Maverick and they put me on a 6-8 month waiting list, I would probably go to TMC if I could afford to pay for my schooling since they don't do it for free like Maverick does. You can always get your experience at TMC and then come to Maverick later if you want. I know of more than a few who have done that. Whether or not they set out to do it that way is unknown to me.

As far as Maverick having slow freight, I can't remember when I've waited for more than 10-15 minutes for a load assignment after I send in my empty call. In fact, I am regularly preplanned on my next load well before I deliver the current load. That doesn't sounf like slow freight to me. It's more like, they know how they want to run their business and how many trucks they want to operate. I'll leave it to Steve Williams to decide this. Since he has made millions of dollars in the trucking business, I doubt that myself or Fred need to waste our time offering advise. Fred kind of reminds of the Jimmy Johnson commercial on race day. I can just see Fred telling Steve how he needs to buy more trucks so that he can hire more drivers and keep this waiting list down to a minimum.

By the way Fred. Do you happen to know what TMC's turnover rate is? I can see where if you can't keep drivers in the truck, you would definitely have an empty seat for anyone at anytime :wink:

Of course, I guess by the way your talking, one should not bother applying to ABF, Roadway, Old Dominion or any of the LTL companies. After all their business is so slow that they don't even HAVE recruiters. I'm sure they have a waiting list in some areas of the country, so THAT must be some REALLY BAAAAADDDDDD jobs right there! LOL

Your a freakin' joke Fred and everybody here know's it too.

BTW, I've told you before. If you want to bash Maverick over on the TMC thread, feel free. But if your gonna come on a Maverick thread and bash us, I'm gonna bash back. Tough schit if you don't like it.

Arky

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arky
Don't let Fred sugar coat TMC too much. He may not be paid to recruit drivers, but he's definitely motivated, huh? Oh...I'm sure it's just out of pure love for his fellow man. Especially when he goes to the trouble of building and maintaining a website AND a toll free number for driver recruitment. Geez, how stupid does he think you guys are?

TMC pays for the toll free number and the website is FREE as it is hosted on the same site my business is www.goldiesplating.com . I do it because I had no such resource to turn to when I started so I figured it was a nice thing to do.
Quote:

BUT, if I were trying to get on with Maverick and they put me on a 6-8 month waiting list, I would probably go to TMC if I could afford to pay for my schooling since they don't do it for free like Maverick does. You can always get your experience at TMC and then come to Maverick later if you want. I know of more than a few who have done that. Whether or not they set out to do it that way is unknown to me.
I didn't pay a DIME for my CDL as I went through TMC's sponsorship program.
Quote:

As far as Maverick having slow freight, I can't remember when I've waited for more than 10-15 minutes for a load assignment after I send in my empty call. In fact, I am regularly preplanned on my next load well before I deliver the current load. That doesn't sounf like slow freight to me. It's more like, they know how they want to run their business and how many trucks they want to operate. I'll leave it to Steve Williams to decide this. Since he has made millions of dollars in the trucking business, I doubt that myself or Fred need to waste our time offering advise. Fred kind of reminds of the Jimmy Johnson commercial on race day. I can just see Fred telling Steve how he needs to buy more trucks so that he can hire more drivers and keep this waiting list down to a minimum.
Perhaps I was unclear. I didn't mean to say that for their EXISTING fleet they had slow freight. I meant that they have no additional freight that they can not handle and so don't need to grow any larger too quickly. As far as Steve wanting to keep his company the size it is that argument would fly if Maverick had, say, 10-100 trucks. A small outfit that wanted to remain small. They have grown far beyond being considered "small" and any company the size of Maverick or larger would NEVER turn down the opportunity to grow larger IF the opportunity were there.

Quote:

By the way Fred. Do you happen to know what TMC's turnover rate is? I can see where if you can't keep drivers in the truck, you would definitely have an empty seat for anyone at anytime :wink:
TMC has one of the lowest turnover rates in the industry for LARGER companies as does Maverick. BOTH are great companies I feel. I just think a several MONTH wait is not in a driver's best interest if he needs a job TODAY.
Quote:

Of course, I guess by the way your talking, one should not bother applying to ABF, Roadway, Old Dominion or any of the LTL companies. After all their business is so slow that they don't even HAVE recruiters. I'm sure they have a waiting list in some areas of the country, so THAT must be some REALLY BAAAAADDDDDD jobs right there! LOL
Those companies only hire EXPERIENCED drivers who have been "around the block" a few times and usually have no need for recruiters. A recruiters job (if he or she is a good and HONEST one) is to "hold a newbies hand" so to speak and explain their company to them TRUTHFULLY. An experienced trucker needs no hand holding.

Quote:

Your a freakin' joke Fred and everybody here know's it too.
And as I've felt MANY MANY months ago about you and your demeaning avitar towards single women, you are a total waste of fertility medication.

Quote:

BTW, I've told you before. If you want to bash Maverick over on the TMC thread, feel free. But if your gonna come on a Maverick thread and bash us, I'm gonna bash back. Tough schit if you don't like it.

Arky
Didn't say I didn't LIKE it. It just shows what a moron you truly are. I wasn't bashing Maverick, just expressing my opinion as to their long waiting list. The waiting list is FACT and I was only commenting on THAT. Never did I say they were a bad company. I'd work there just as well as TMC IF I liked Maroon Freightliners with autoshift trannies. I just don't as a matter of personal opinion.

GTR SILVER 05-12-2007 05:08 AM

re fred

fred's kicking some east coast a**......................
:lol: sometimes it feels like were kids in a school yard :o
peace e v 1 !!!! :wink:

arky 05-12-2007 05:10 AM

Oh yes, I have offended the masses with my most terrible avatar. LOL

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 05:20 AM

I say we all go get a steak dinner, drink a few beers, and have a pissing contest. What do ya think?

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 05:22 AM

Re: re fred

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
fred's kicking some east coast a**......................
:lol: sometimes it feels like were kids in a school yard :o
peace e v 1 !!!! :wink:

We gotta keep these rednecks in line ya know. :wink:
If not before you know it we'll be taking our sisters (our date) to line dancing parties

GTR SILVER 05-12-2007 05:29 AM

re fred

hey uncle daddy :lol: tell me a story.........sorry that was over the top......................ah who cares :P :shock: ..........lol 8)

arky 05-12-2007 05:49 AM

Straight from the TMC website:

"TMC offers tuition reimbursement up to the full amount of your loan."
In other words, you pay for it, we'll reimburse you. So Fred, did you or did you not pay ANY money out of your pocket at ANY time to get your CDL?

Here's something else to ponder:

Maverick Orientation pay = $550
TMC Orientation pay = $300

Maverick Securement training pay = $100/day (Begins on Friday following orientation which runs sunday-thursday...effectively puts $750 in your pocket the very 1st week)
TMC Securement training pay = $300 (1 week)

Maverick Driver Training pay = $500/week for up to 6 weeks.
TMC Driver Training pay = $350/week for 6 weeks.

If you choose to wait for Maverick's school, you will pay NOTHING at anytime for tuition. You will sign a 6 month commitment for $2500, but at the end of the 6 months, you are free to go with no charge for the training or the school.

So, let's add this up:
The first 2 weeks at Maverick, you will earn $1250 in orientation and securement training pay (assuming you stay in training through Friday of the second week...it is possible that you might leave with a driver trainer before then). This is $650 more than TMC.

Maverick pays $150/week more than TMC while your out with your trainer. Assuming a full 6 weeks with both companies, that is an extra $900 that you'll earn at Maverick.

So...you'll be paid a total of $1,550 more money at Maverick before you ever even get into your own truck. You'll also not spend a single dime out of your pocket for your CDL school.

I just can't imagine why Maverick has a waiting list and TMC has openings readily available. Oh yeah, that's right, their growing soooo fast they have to have you guys for all those new trucks going to the new customers.

Maverick's fleet size was about 900 trucks a year ago. It's now around 1,500. I really have no idea what the fleet size is at TMC. It's my understanding that they were at about 2,500 a year or so ago. Fred would you care to share the current # of trucks in your fleet? I'm guessing TMC didn't grow by 50% in the last year?

I guess that Fred doesn't consider the aquisition of Schneider's specialized division as growth?

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Straight from the TMC website:

"TMC offers tuition reimbursement up to the full amount of your loan."
In other words, you pay for it, we'll reimburse you. So Fred, did you or did you not pay ANY money out of your pocket at ANY time to get your CDL?

I THINK I paid around $100/week out of my check for the first six months. Now I pay nothing, owe nothing and was reimbursed fully.
Quote:

TMC's pay is $300/$350 for new drivers an $500/$550 for experienced drivers.
Quote:

Maverick Securement training pay = $100/day (Begins on Friday following orientation which runs sunday-thursday...effectively puts $750 in your pocket the very 1st week)

If you choose to wait for Maverick's school, you will pay NOTHING at anytime for tuition. You will sign a 6 month commitment for $2500, but at the end of the 6 months, you are free to go with no charge for the training or the school.

So, let's add this up:
The first 2 weeks at Maverick, you will earn $1250 in orientation and securement training pay (assuming you stay in training through Friday of the second week...it is possible that you might leave with a driver trainer before then). This is $650 more than TMC.

Maverick pays $150/week more than TMC while your out with your trainer. Assuming a full 6 weeks with both companies, that is an extra $900 that you'll earn at Maverick.

So...you'll be paid a total of $1,550 more money at Maverick before you ever even get into your own truck. You'll also not spend a single dime out of your pocket for your CDL school.

I just can't imagine why Maverick has a waiting list and TMC has openings readily available. Oh yeah, that's right, their growing soooo fast they have to have you guys for all those new trucks going to the new customers.

Maverick's fleet size was about 900 trucks a year ago. It's now around 1,500. I really have no idea what the fleet size is at TMC. It's my understanding that they were at about 2,500 a year or so ago. Fred would you care to share the current # of trucks in your fleet? I'm guessing TMC didn't grow by 50% in the last year?

I guess that Fred doesn't consider the aquisition of Schneider's specialized division as growth?
I do. TMC too has just aquired TDT trucking www.gotdt.com based in Florida.

All your other points ARE truly wonderful and agree with what I've said time and again. MAVERICK IS A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR. IF you can START with them NOW (right away), and IF you don't mind driving Maroon, autoshift Freightshakers instead of fully decked out Peterbilt's. I know I'll hear it from drivers who say "Who cares WHAT you drive as long as you're making money". I say BULL$HIT. I CARE. That truck IS my home away from home during the week and I want my home to look better than every body elses and in the end I STILL made around $59,000.00 with TMC my first year. So the difference in training pay was not a big deal to me.
Gorgeous, well maintained trucks, GREAT money, home weekends, MANY dedicated opportunities available to experienced drivers and the ability to hire, train and START a driver right away are pretty damn good points to consider don't ya think?
I also forgot to mention that Maverick doesn't hire drivers from this area either. Seems they're afraid of the East Coast.
As far as trucks I BELIEVE we have 3,200 power units last I heard a few months ago NOT counting the recent aquisition of TDT trucking based in Florida. In 2006 we placed an order for 1,000 new tractors with Peterbilt. No ragged equipment to deal with here.

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 07:16 AM

duplicate post

arky 05-12-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

I THINK I paid around $100/week out of my check for the first six months. Now I pay nothing, owe nothing and was reimbursed fully.
LOL...yes, you would forget something like that wouldn't ya?

You know, as a toolmaker, I would buy tools through the company. They would pay for them and hold the money out of my check weekly. So, by this reasoning, the tools were free. After all, I now owe nothing, pay nothing now.

How does TMC reimburse you for the schooling? Is it a lump sum at the end of the 6 months? Or do they pay it back over the next six months? That would basicly work out to a 12 month commitment if so.

As for the ragged equipment. Apparently your not looking too close, but Maverick's trucks are far from ragged. In fact they replace their trucks at 3 years of age, some sooner depending on the miles as I understand it.

I have to agree with you that the auto transmissions are just terrible. Every time I pull away from a red light with both arms on the arm rest, kicked back taking it easy while the transmission takes care of itself. I just can't stand the work involved in that! LOL. It's even worse in Chicago during rush hour with all that stop and go traffic. I do have to lean forward and move my arms on occasion though...you know, when I want a drink of water or need to adjust the radio or something LOL.

Fred, I don't have time to argue with ya anymore. You win. TMC must be the best cause you say it is. I'll be sure to tell Steve that he's lost the battle, he might as well throw in the towel. LOL. I'm guessing that he's probably not sleeping right now he's so worried about it.

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL...yes, you would forget something like that wouldn't ya?

You know, as a toolmaker, I would buy tools through the company. They would pay for them and hold the money out of my check weekly. So, by this reasoning, the tools were free. After all, I now owe nothing, pay nothing now.

How does TMC reimburse you for the schooling? Is it a lump sum at the end of the 6 months? Or do they pay it back over the next six months? That would basicly work out to a 12 month commitment if so.

TMC does have a 12month commitment and I had no problem with that. I knew it going in.
Quote:

As for the ragged equipment. Apparently your not looking too close, but Maverick's trucks are far from ragged. In fact they replace their trucks at 3 years of age, some sooner depending on the miles as I understand it.
Once again, here you are being a little paranoid. I never said that MAVERICK had ragged equipment, just that TMC did NOT. You continue to fight a fight that is non existent.

Quote:

I have to agree with you that the auto transmissions are just terrible. Every time I pull away from a red light with both arms on the arm rest, kicked back taking it easy while the transmission takes care of itself. I just can't stand the work involved in that! LOL. It's even worse in Chicago during rush hour with all that stop and go traffic. I do have to lean forward and move my arms on occasion though...you know, when I want a drink of water or need to adjust the radio or something LOL.
I guess you never had that auto shift out in the snow. Total lack of control as the truck hunts for the right gear and keeps you (or puts you) in a ditch.

Quote:

Fred, I don't have time to argue with ya anymore. You win. TMC must be the best cause you say it is. I'll be sure to tell Steve that he's lost the battle, he might as well throw in the towel. LOL. I'm guessing that he's probably not sleeping right now he's so worried about it.
I never WAS arguing and I wasn't aware that you were Steve's "soldier" in this fabricated (by you) "battle".
And once again for deaf, pig-headed loudmouths like yourself: I never said TMC was "the best" I just speak of MY experience with them and never once said we are "better than" Maverick. Just different.

devildice 05-12-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Not trying to stir anything up but I am curious..........So it seems that Maverick pays more during orientation and training.......but what are the numbers AFTER that????

Mr. Ford95 05-12-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
I guess you never had that auto shift out in the snow. Total lack of control as the truck hunts for the right gear and keeps you (or puts you) in a ditch.

Hey Fred buddy, whether it's an automatic or stick doesn't matter about winter driving, it's all in how you use the throttle. You can wipe out and spin the tare out of the tires with a stick just as easy as an auto unless your automatic has traction control. If not, as long as your light on the throttle, you reduce the chance of lighting the tires up with either. :D

Devil, it varies but on paper it looks like they are about the same afterwards. Mav pays per mile while TMC gives you a choice of per mile or percentage. From what I have been seeing with both, the pay works to be about the same depending on how you run.

arky 05-12-2007 06:02 PM

I really can't compare the two AFTER training because I've only worked for Maverick. I can tell you that if you want to run hard, it's not a problem to gross $1000-$1200/ week at Maverick. I'm sure it's not at TMC either, BUT there is no way that I would consistently preach these numbers to the new guys. I personally, don't do those numbers every week, but I could if I wanted to.

This is not about who pays more, or who is the better company. I doubt there is enough difference to matter. It comes down to personal choice. Fred just makes it out to be a big deal and does everything he can to promote TMC and run down Maverick. He knows it and I think 90% of the people reading these threads see it. I have to hand it to Fred, he's always been good at disguising his bashing. I've always just overlooked it since it seems that even as BAD as Maverick is, they sure don't seem to be hurting for potential drivers.

Quote:

And once again for deaf, pig-headed loudmouths like yourself
Ok, let's review: Freddy Boy posted on a Maverick thread, bashing Maverick. I called him on it. The rest is basicly BS from one side to the other.

I know you'll respond and you'll admit that Maverick is a good company and there's really not much difference between the two. But, then in the end you'll throw in some off-hand comment about maroon trucks, or Freightliner, or auto shifts. Jump on it Fred, we all know the drill by now.

I know it's tough Fred, but don't let your blood pressure get the best of ya :lol:

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

I really can't compare the two AFTER training because I've only worked for Maverick. I can tell you that if you want to run hard, it's not a problem to gross $1000-$1200/ week at Maverick. I'm sure it's not at TMC either, BUT there is no way that I would consistently preach these numbers to the new guys. I personally, don't do those numbers every week, but I could if I wanted to.

This is not about who pays more, or who is the better company. I doubt there is enough difference to matter. It comes down to personal choice. Fred just makes it out to be a big deal and does everything he can to promote TMC and run down Maverick. He knows it and I think 90% of the people reading these threads see it. I have to hand it to Fred, he's always been good at disguising his bashing. I've always just overlooked it since it seems that even as BAD as Maverick is, they sure don't seem to be hurting for potential drivers.

Quote:

And once again for deaf, pig-headed loudmouths like yourself
Ok, let's review: Freddy Boy posted on a Maverick thread, bashing Maverick. I called him on it. The rest is basicly BS from one side to the other.

I know you'll respond and you'll admit that Maverick is a good company and there's really not much difference between the two. But, then in the end you'll throw in some off-hand comment about maroon trucks, or Freightliner, or auto shifts. Jump on it Fred, we all know the drill by now.

I know it's tough Fred, but don't let your blood pressure get the best of ya :lol:

Nah not gonna jump on it. From what we discussed ALREADY several times, I believe readers can see us BOTH for what we are and I've got HUNDREDS of emails and PM's to prove I'm an asset to new and experienced drivers alike. Those who've actually CALLED me for help can attest to that. I don't push TMC over the phone and continue to help out drivers from SEVERAL companies besides TMC.
A very few others, like yourself, will ALWAYS find an argument even if one doesn't exist.

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating

Hey Fred buddy, whether it's an automatic or stick doesn't matter about winter driving, it's all in how you use the throttle. You can wipe out and spin the tare out of the tires with a stick just as easy as an auto unless your automatic has traction control. If not, as long as your light on the throttle, you reduce the chance of lighting the tires up with either. :D

Devil, it varies but on paper it looks like they are about the same afterwards. Mav pays per mile while TMC gives you a choice of per mile or percentage. From what I have been seeing with both, the pay works to be about the same depending on how you run.

I've only heard the traction complaint from other drivers. I never drove an autoshift myself. I've heard more against them than for them. Perhaps the newer ones or future ones will be or are better. For now, I prefer my 13 speed. I like the ability to control what gear I'm in and thus the response and handling of the truck feels more under MY control. Not to mention the effect of my Jake Brake on slowing the truck down is directly related to the RPM's of my tractor and those RPM's are better controlled by me (with a stickshift) than by an autoshift with no eyes, ears or seat of the pants feelings. I may be old fashioned, but I feel autoshifts are for people who really don't (or can't) or are tired, of driving a truck for a living.

Mr. Ford95 05-12-2007 09:26 PM

Same here on that last note Fred. I like a stick over an auto but if I get one, I will not turn it down for the city driving I do or better yet, those Manumatic's or whatever they are called. You can use the stick to go thru gears but if your in heavy traffic that is stop and go, you can flip a switch and put'er in automatic mode and let the truck shift itself. :)

Believe it or not, using your Jake in winter weather is just asking for trouble. I've had a lot of old timers that have reminded me to make sure my Jake is off in the winter stuff. I hardly use it anyways because we have a bunch of "NO Jake" areas.

madii'swife 05-12-2007 09:39 PM

Since we're on the topic of transmissions and Maverick....
Hubby wants to know if the autos at Mav have a switch on them (he says on top) that gives you control of the shifting, not an actual stick like the mixed ones, but just lets you control the buttons. Hope I made sense....

terrylamar 05-12-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:

It's a shame they give me over $1,000.00 per month, otherwise I just couldn't tolerate it.

Well, I'm slowly working my way up, I hear I may make it to $1,001.00 per month soon. :D

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Same here on that last note Fred. I like a stick over an auto but if I get one, I will not turn it down for the city driving I do or better yet, those Manumatic's or whatever they are called. You can use the stick to go thru gears but if your in heavy traffic that is stop and go, you can flip a switch and put'er in automatic mode and let the truck shift itself. :)

Believe it or not, using your Jake in winter weather is just asking for trouble. I've had a lot of old timers that have reminded me to make sure my Jake is off in the winter stuff. I hardly use it anyways because we have a bunch of "NO Jake" areas.

Nooooo I'd never use the Jake on slippery surfaces. I was talking about on dry pavement, I like the option of controlling the rpm of the engine with a manual tranny so when I get off the pedal, the Jake either has a huge effect (higher rpm) or less effect (at lower rpm/higher gear)

GoldiesPlating 05-12-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:

Well, I'm slowly working my way up, I hear I may make it to $1,001.00 per month soon. :D

See? TMC even has talented comedians too!

rogcarolina 05-13-2007 12:25 AM

I am now in my second month of a 2-3 month wait for Maverick. Not a big deal for me because I am currently employed and was told from day one it would take this long to get me to Arkansas to CDL school. I checked in with my recruiter just the other day and was told everything was still on track and would be getting a call anytime now. It seems its the whole school thing because I was told if I wanted to go get my CDL on my own, wait time to go to orientation would only be a week or two. Or I could go specialized and that would speed it up as well.

I had also got pre-hired with TMC but was told I would have to pay for my CDL on my own and would be reimbursed at the rate of $100 a month, once I started there. I was told they had no programs that paid for your schooling up front. The cheapest school around my area that they would accept me going to was around $4000, so to me it was pretty much a no-brainer. I just didnt feel comfortable putting that on a credit card, which I would have had to do.

I dont think a newb can go wrong with either company, it just depends on what you CAN do financially and some of what you wanna do.

arky 05-13-2007 02:51 AM

rogcarolina seems to have about the same options I had except that I did elect to pay for my school in order to dodge the waiting list. From what I'm told through recruiting, the whole waiting list is totally dependant on where you live. In some areas there is a waiting list even for getting you into orientation. I think it's simply that they just don't need drivers from that area at the moment. The ability to get you home for the weekends plays a major role in that. With the low turnover at Maverick coupled with the huge success of their training program, they just have more applicants than they need in some areas.

Fred, you need to at least look at one of the automatic transmissions before making comments about them. They are nothing but a 10 speed transmission with an automatic shifter, no clutch peddle. You do have a button that switches the tran. from auto to manual mode. When in manual mode, you simply push up or down on the shift lever to change gears. The jake brake in our trucks work no differently than the jake brake in a truck with a manual transmission. Maverick actually encourages us to use the transmission in manual mode to optimize the shift points for fuel economy. Personally, I've tried it and can't tell any difference.

Madiie's wife: Yes they do have a button that slides back and forth to switch from manual to auto. You still don't have a clutch to deal with though. All you do is push up or down on the shift lever. The truck clutches itself and changes gears for you at that point.

stevedb28 05-13-2007 06:03 AM

just to add my .02, fred you said that arky must not have been in the snow with an auto because it doesnt know what gear to be in. Well I have been in the snow and didnt have a problem with it shifting, if I did i would have put it in manual mode. What I did have a problem with was the rollover protection that shuts down power to the drive wheels when it feels there is something wrong. And, if you dont have that on your truck, then I would have to say that you are missing a very good peace of safety equipment.
Hey arky, What do you think the chances are that TMC knows what a lane departure system is? I know they dont have it, but do they even know what it is? lol
I have never dogged out TMC, they work side by side with us and MOST are good people. I think if you really ever hear a Maverick talk bad about TMC, its because they used to work for them because there is a high percentage of former TMCs working for us now. Ive talked to at least 10 out of about 30 drivers, and some more of them may have been prior TMC but just didnt say it. Anyway, TMC, Maverick, Black, Maroon, does it really matter as long as YOU are happy? I like Maverick, but if i worked for TMC first, I probably would have liked them too. If any one company was that good, there would only be one company, right? If you understood what I just said, you are as demented as me. lol :D

Karnajj 05-13-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedb28
just to add my .02, fred you said that arky must not have been in the snow with an auto because it doesnt know what gear to be in. Well I have been in the snow and didnt have a problem with it shifting, if I did i would have put it in manual mode. What I did have a problem with was the rollover protection that shuts down power to the drive wheels when it feels there is something wrong. And, if you dont have that on your truck, then I would have to say that you are missing a very good peace of safety equipment.
Hey arky, What do you think the chances are that TMC knows what a lane departure system is? I know they dont have it, but do they even know what it is? lol
I have never dogged out TMC, they work side by side with us and MOST are good people. I think if you really ever hear a Maverick talk bad about TMC, its because they used to work for them because there is a high percentage of former TMCs working for us now. Ive talked to at least 10 out of about 30 drivers, and some more of them may have been prior TMC but just didnt say it. Anyway, TMC, Maverick, Black, Maroon, does it really matter as long as YOU are happy? I like Maverick, but if i worked for TMC first, I probably would have liked them too. If any one company was that good, there would only be one company, right? If you understood what I just said, you are as demented as me. lol :D

You are really full of yourself aren't you? You say you don't dog TMC but then in your next sentence you go ahead and dog them? And I would have to say that it's probably true that there are more former Maverick drivers working at TMC then vice versa. Besides if you represent the typical Maverick driver I'll go with TMC anyday.

Jumbo 05-13-2007 12:23 PM

I can take care of this right now. I am starting a new thread titled "Maverick vs. TMC". Go bash the $hit out of each other there.

devildice 05-13-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedb28
Anyway, TMC, Maverick, Black, Maroon, does it really matter as long as YOU are happy?

there you go.....does it really matter?????? NOPE

shadowsknight 05-13-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Oh yes, I have offended the masses with my most terrible avatar. LOL

I agree that your avatar reflects the trashy side of this industry. The side that we have been trying to get rid of for years.

shadowsknight 05-13-2007 08:24 PM

Auto shifts and more

As far as the autoshifts go I prefer them. My wife and I drove team for US Xpress a few years ago. We got snowed in to the Petro in Amarillo, TX. When they finally opened the road I put the truck in drive, climbed over a 2 foot tall snow bank in front of my truck and easily maneuvered out of the truck stop past other drivers that were stuck in their ruts. I also had the truck save us from a jack knife on a slick ice patch. I also prefer freightliners because I hate sqeezing in between the armrests on this Pete.....but.... TMC offers a Texas Dedicated fleet that gets me home every weekend and sometimes during the week. That's something Maverick can't offer. My choice came down to home time. I am an experienced driver with 16 years of driving.

As far as Fred's website... Thanks Fred for the great work.
You, me, JBenson, BND and many others post our pictures online to show others what flatbedding is really all about.

Anyone can pull a box. It takes a smart person to stick with fladbedding.

One more thing. I got $500 for orientation plus got all expenses paid for the travel and hotel in advance and rent car to go home afterwards with reimbursed fuel. Since I had never pulled a skateboard I got to go with a trainer for a few weeks to teach me load securement at $500/week. Now I make $1000+/week and I am home every weekend.

It's really a matter of what can either company do for you and what are you willing to do for them!

05-14-2007 12:39 AM

seperate corners boys. why the pissin match??? just my opinion here...does it make one more manly to have to shift over that of an automatic?? and what is the difference in rpm's between an aouto and stick...both are related to speed not stick or auto. but pissin match aside. from what i know both are decent companied but both, or all of the bashing makes all of you seem like assholes, i would have no desire to work beside or near either of you.

redsfan 05-14-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedfxg
seperate corners boys. why the pissin match??? just my opinion here...does it make one more manly to have to shift over that of an automatic?? and what is the difference in rpm's between an aouto and stick...both are related to speed not stick or auto. but pissin match aside. from what i know both are decent companied but both, or all of the bashing makes all of you seem like assholes, i would have no desire to work beside or near either of you.

Ditto!

The battle still rages. I drove a straight 10, then an autoshift, then went to an 18 speed and then back to the straight 10's. For me, give me the autoshift any day of the week. I'll switch it to manual when I feel that I need more control over the shifting and I'll run it in auto for basic everyday driving and stop and go traffic (sure wish I had one today in the 4 mile backup on 71 south of Columbus...). Honestly, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to know that I have nothing to prove to anyone else by shifting a manual transmission.

Both have very nice equipment, personal preference is the ONLY difference. Ya like Petes, you know where to go. Ya like Columbias, there's a company for that too.

I know for a fact that Maverick brokers out oodles of freight daily, as TMC does the same, so lack of freight is most likely not their reason for having a long waiting list. Also, judging by the fact that there is always a few new trucks sitting in Little Rock, as I'm sure there are in Des Moines, I would think that the lag is due to trying to get properly trained drivers. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Geez! Get over it already!

Snowman7 05-14-2007 07:23 AM

My cousin just completed Maverick's in house training and I'm thinking he waited 4-6 weeks to get in. The CDL training was actually done by a local truck driving school in Arkansas so that could be the biggest reason for the waiting list, as in the school doesnt have the capacity. You also have to remember they just started their training program so they may not have as many driver trainers as what they need. Alot of vets wouldnt want anything to do with it, including me, I dont need an extra $100 a week to have some stranger riding with me every 5-6 weeks. Anyway he's extremely happy with everything, got his truck thurs and had an 850 mi run within an hour. He said while he was with his trainer they never waited for a load more than a few minutes except one time.