Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Thats It for CENTRAL i QUIT !!!!!! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/26403-thats-central-i-quit.html)

Crash935 04-19-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinPack
Sheepdancer wrote:

some receivers mandate you use their lumpers and will not let you onto the dock to unload your trailer.

Isnt that extorsion? Last time i check, extorsion was illegal?

redsfan 04-19-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash935
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinPack
Sheepdancer wrote:

some receivers mandate you use their lumpers and will not let you onto the dock to unload your trailer.

Isnt that extorsion? Last time i check, extorsion was illegal?

Extortion? That term doesn't exist in this industry...

The blame for the lumping problem falls directly on the shoulders of the trucking companies. The term FOB (or Free on Board) has been in use for centuries. It means that the receiver is responsible for unloading the freight. For whatever reason, trucking companies have allowed the buck to be passed along to them. If they are contracted by the shipper and the shipper is invoicing FOB-Origin, they are not going to allow the trucking company to bill them for the lumper. It's not their problem. What are they going to do, bill the receiver even though their agreement is with the shipper? My guess is that the troubles probably started with a union somewhere saying, our guys are here to receive the product not unload it.

If you sign a lease with a company, make sure it's in your contract that lumpers are provided by the company whenever they're necessary. Otherwise plan to pay for a lumper or lump it yourself on occasion.

People can say what they want about flatbedding, but I never had to worry about paying a lumper or unloading a 45,000 pound coil myself... There are advantages to all sides of the industry.

jnk2001 04-20-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:

Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work.
Lol Pack. I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps I need to start a lumper service on the side. I wasnt aware that drivers or companies paid so much for lumpers. Crazy

By the time you pay workman's comp, kickbacks from the warehouse industry, and INS fines for the illegals, it doesn't leave you much..... :lol: :lol:

greg3564 04-20-2007 02:26 AM

What I don't get is why anyone would still entertain the idea of leasing. Go to any trucking board and you will read about hundreds of people getting shipped off to the poor house from leasing.

Rocketdog 06-21-2007 11:34 PM

SOOOOO many company drivers and super truckers, with NO o/o experience hop into a lease w/o the business sense to operate a truck successfully then blame the company for "shafting" THEM...when it was the "Billy-bo-badass" gear-jammer company driver that THOUGHT he/she had what it takes to be an O/O......

Guess that guy found out the hard way that being an O/O has little to do with actually driving the truck....all about business sense and the ability to make sound financial decisions in the best interest of the truck.

Just my .02

Folsom Flash 06-26-2007 10:17 PM

After looking at the breakdown, I'm having a hard time seeing anything that is not a legitimate expense. Mostly fuel and taxes which any owner operator would have to pay. Several items had already been paid and the lumper looks like it would be paid if a receipt had been provided. Also an advance was taken against earnings not yet earned. How is the company ripping anybody off? How is the lease deal a scam?

Skullitor 06-28-2007 12:38 AM

:x THERE ARE NO LEASE / LEASE PURCHASE Deals worth the paper there printed on!!! 8)

nickbtubas 07-14-2007 11:44 PM

i did some digging on your settlement, even though it doesn't matter.

Income $2262.14
Expenses (including Cash Advances and the lumper) $2247.38

Total Profit $14.76

But you actually had $214 extra due to the Cash Advances and if you followed the proper procedures with the lumper than that would be another $250 in your pocket

so instead of $14.76 in your pocket you could've had $478.76.

Likewise your MPG for that settlement was 5.33 MPG.
2017 miles/378.5 gallons = 5.33MPG

That seems rather high, did you idle your truck excessively? I thought Central L/P trucks had APU's.....

$478.76 is still not a good paycheck but you shot yourself in the foot with this one...

anyways, BOL with your new outfit

Skywalker 07-16-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketdog
SOOOOO many company drivers and super truckers, with NO o/o experience hop into a lease w/o the business sense to operate a truck successfully then blame the company for "shafting" THEM...when it was the "Billy-bo-badass" gear-jammer company driver that THOUGHT he/she had what it takes to be an O/O......

Guess that guy found out the hard way that being an O/O has little to do with actually driving the truck....all about business sense and the ability to make sound financial decisions in the best interest of the truck.

Just my .02

8) Your ".02" is worth many $$$ if heeded by the headstrong!! 8)

It never ceases to amaze me...the number of people who "lease" a truck from a company....who don't know "squat" about running a business, or even what a P&L is, much less how to read it. It should be a "felony" to even think about leasing a truck without passing a written test proving one understands basic business accounting and rules!!