Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Thats It for CENTRAL i QUIT !!!!!! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/26403-thats-central-i-quit.html)

jnk2001 04-18-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Not to say that you shouldnt quit....however. If you knew it was a slow week, which any otr job with any company would have occasionally, why would you pay for a lumper? Im assuming from your post that you have to pay for your own lumpers. Why not get back there and unload your freight yourself. Personally, I wouldnt pay 250 bucks to sit down and watch someone else work. Without those advances and that lumper charge, it still would have been a bad check, but most likely enough to get buy for a week or so.

Easy for you to say when you're sitting in your cushy office. When was the last time YOU lumped a trailer? If the back goes, so goes your job.

NevadaJim 04-18-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
So all you made for that week was $14?!?

He made more than $14. He spent $200 of it before he made it and then shelled out another $250 for a lumper. Although not great week it wasn't $14.

Maybe someone that has some lease experience can answer this. Does a lease driver have the opportunity to check on lumper mandates before he takes a load. I'm just thinking out loud. But, maybe if a driver knew beforehand if he can unload himself, or what the charges for a lumper would be, he would be able to choose loads to his advantage. These lease deals seem to already suck, but I guess lumpers could ruin your week if caught off guard. Two lumper loads @ $250 each would make me want to stay home and sleep.

PackRatTDI 04-18-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
So all you made for that week was $14?!?

He made more than $14. He spent $200 of it before he made it and then shelled out another $250 for a lumper. Although not great week it wasn't $14.

Maybe someone that has some lease experience can answer this. Does a lease driver have the opportunity to check on lumper mandates before he takes a load. I'm just thinking out loud. But, maybe if a driver knew beforehand if he can unload himself, or what the charges for a lumper would be, he would be able to choose loads to his advantage. These lease deals seem to already suck, but I guess lumpers could ruin your week if caught off guard. Two lumper loads @ $250 each would make me want to stay home and sleep.

In the 2 years I drove for Stevens, I only once had to pay more than $150 to unload a trailer. $240 for a load of frozen food, 4000 some cases all on the floor. The average cost to unload a meat trailer in the NYC area was between $100 and $150, depending on where you unloaded at. The $150 fee was at a Brooklyn reciever that had to unload the truck off the street, they didn't have a dock you could back into.

The only time I touched a meat load was when I delivered to Empire Beef in Rochester, NY. The lumper service would give you a helper free of charge, but would charge you to unload the trailer. $90 for a full trailer.

But that was 7 years ago.

Sheepdancer 04-18-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

Not to say that you shouldnt quit....however. If you knew it was a slow week, which any otr job with any company would have occasionally, why would you pay for a lumper? Im assuming from your post that you have to pay for your own lumpers. Why not get back there and unload your freight yourself. Personally, I wouldnt pay 250 bucks to sit down and watch someone else work. Without those advances and that lumper charge, it still would have been a bad check, but most likely enough to get buy for a week or so.

Easy for you to say when you're sitting in your cushy office. When was the last time YOU lumped a trailer? If the back goes, so goes your job.

Just because I sit behind a desk for a living, doesnt mean Im lazy and I wouldnt do work. I can tell you that if I was a driver and it cost me 250 bucks to have a trailer unloaded, I would do it myself. Like I said, I just couldnt bring myself to pay 250 bucks, sit on my butt and watch someone else get a free workout.
By the way, during college, I worked at a walmart distrubution center loading and unloading trucks by hand. Didnt bother me one bit, in fact it was fun. To me paying for a lumper sounds like that even though I pay for a gym membership, I pay some dude 250 bucks to go work out for me.

jnk2001 04-18-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

Just because I sit behind a desk for a living, doesnt mean Im lazy and I wouldnt do work. I can tell you that if I was a driver and it cost me 250 bucks to have a trailer unloaded, I would do it myself. Like I said, I just couldnt bring myself to pay 250 bucks, sit on my butt and watch someone else get a free workout.
By the way, during college, I worked at a walmart distrubution center loading and unloading trucks by hand. Didnt bother me one bit, in fact it was fun.

yeah, when I was 20 I used to unload boxcars in houston in the summer. doesn't mean I'm going to do it now.

I see you didn't make a career out of unloading trucks at walmart...sure, it's fun for a summer or two.. :lol: :lol:

Uturn2001 04-18-2007 08:49 PM

Packrat the times they are a changing. ;)

When I started driving in 1999 the first lumper I hired charged $100 to unload and breakdown the load.

$35-$50 was what I got charged for straight pulls.

In 2005, the last year I drove OTR, straight pulls were up to $75-$100, and if they had to do anything beyond that it went to as much as $350. :shock: :shock:

PackRatTDI 04-18-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Packrat the times they are a changing. ;)

When I started driving in 1999 the first lumper I hired charged $100 to unload and breakdown the load.

$35-$50 was what I got charged for straight pulls.

In 2005, the last year I drove OTR, straight pulls were up to $75-$100, and if they had to do anything beyond that it went to as much as $350. :shock: :shock:

Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Sheepdancer 04-18-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

yeah, when I was 20 I used to unload boxcars in houston in the summer. doesn't mean I'm going to do it now.

I see you didn't make a career out of unloading trucks at walmart...sure, it's fun for a summer or t
I tell you what....if people are paying 250 bucks to unload a truck, if anyone is ever in NW arkansas and needs a truck unloaded, I will do it for 225. And yes, I will still have fun doing it. Sometimes you have to sweat a little to make money.
My point of this thread still stands. He was griping that he only had a 14 buck check. He could have made at least 250 more if he would have unloaded himself. Where it stands, He is quiting his job, he is broke...and the lumper is making more than him and probably in better shape. I just dont get it.

devildice 04-18-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

I tell you what....if people are paying 250 bucks to unload a truck, if anyone is ever in NW arkansas and needs a truck unloaded, I will do it for 225.

I'll do it for 200 :wink:

Sheepdancer 04-18-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work.
Lol Pack. I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps I need to start a lumper service on the side. I wasnt aware that drivers or companies paid so much for lumpers. Crazy