Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Maverick (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/18232-maverick.html)

stevedb28 10-11-2006 04:01 AM

I dont work for maverick yet, but I was told by Angie, a recruiter, that the average miles was between 2400-2600 per week. Now I know a lot of you say oh, thats a recruiter dont believe a word they say. But I have yet to catch her in a little white lie and I have yet to do it. Id ask her a question shed answer it and Id ask a driver on here and both answers coincided. You might say the mileage is low but figure in that youre home on the weekend and I think its pretty good. And, Ive heard the are pretty strict about you not fibbing on your log books. I also know they offer cancer insurance. Which may sound silly to some, but ill be buying it.

dk132 10-11-2006 12:19 PM

What about their glass rout anybody run glass for them.

Jackrabbit379 10-11-2006 03:39 PM

dk132,I know that Maverick has a terminal here in Wichita Falls. They haul the glass out of PPG here. Im not sure where they haul it to. Im assuming to Phoenix,and or Denver. Schneider was,and Combined-Transport is hauling it to Phoenix,and Denver.

dk132 10-11-2006 05:57 PM

I made my decision I'm going to fill out my application for Maverick Specialized. Thanks to everyone. Wish me luck. :wink:

dk132 10-15-2006 02:15 AM

Does Maverick let you take the truck Home?

arky 10-16-2006 03:04 AM

hey guys, I'm here at orientation now. These people truly do back up what they say. The veteran drivers in our group are amazed that what the recruiters told them is actually the way it is..lol. The President of the company spoke to us one day and told us that they do not tolerate dishonest recruiting efforts. This company is top notch and they are proud of the fact that their drivers believe them when they something. They let you know that they will back up what they say and they expect the same in return...in other words they expect you to learn their securement and safety policies and do it. They make no bones about the fact that they want you to run legal and safe..or go home.

They will let you take the truck home as long as you have a safe parking area and permission to use that space. I'll get my insurance papers out later and tell you more about that.

This is a great company so far. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions!

Good Luck,

Arky

redsfan 10-16-2006 09:09 AM

Sounds like you made it through your first week, Arky. Congrats!

And, yes DK, you will take your truck home. If you don't have a place to park it home, you simply park it at a local truck stop or business with truck parking close to your home. You need to get permission first if you are parking at a local business. If you are planning to drop the trailer someplace and bobtail home, which is what I did, you will need to to show them a kingpin lock and fill out a form before you are allowed to do this. You can buy a kingpin lock at the company store in L.R. or run up to the Pilot and buy one. They will just need to see that you have one before signing off on it. Just be sure to do a thorough load check, as you should anytime you stop, when you leave out Sunday evening or Monday morning. I never had a problem with this, but you never know who may have messed with your securements while the trailer sat there all weekend.

Good luck!

TankerYanker 10-17-2006 03:38 AM

Can one of you Maverick drivers tell me what you average per week for miles, and if it's not to much trouble, what your gross pay is. Not intrested in net cause everyone is differnt.

Talked to a Maverick driver today, said he only got 1800 miles last week. Is that the same for all, or is freight just kinda slow? Thanks

RoadKing2525 10-18-2006 06:58 PM

Maverick bought out?

I heard a driver on the CB say maverick was just b ought out by TMC. Anyone confirm?

northernlights 10-18-2006 07:58 PM

Mav slowdown?

Mav told me yesterday they had an " unexpected slowdown" and thus couldn't schedule me for orientation until next week. I had already began to make back up plans for TMC just in case and only upon telling Mav of this did they guarrantee me to start next week. Not really convinced at this point by them??... Think I'm TMC bound which may not be a bad thing at all.. Any feedback appreciated.

cadillac 10-19-2006 02:02 AM

I am heading there in a few days too.

Any Mav drivers tht can talk on this slowdown?

arky 10-20-2006 02:16 AM

Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide. Maverick is a long way from having any kind of serious problems. If you decide to come here, you'll see what I'm talking about. Their growing FAST! As a student driver, a slowdown will be welcome by me. Hopefully I'll have more time to learn before they start throwing the loads at me...lol.

Arky

TankerYanker 10-20-2006 02:37 AM

In the last 6 business days I've seen 6 Maverick trucks up in Sioux City, Iowa. They seem to be pretty busy. Talked to one driver said he only got 1800 miles the week before, but that was his first low week since he started.

GoldiesPlating 10-20-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arky
Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide. Maverick is a long way from having any kind of serious problems. If you decide to come here, you'll see what I'm talking about. Their growing FAST! As a student driver, a slowdown will be welcome by me. Hopefully I'll have more time to learn before they start throwing the loads at me...lol.

Arky

SLOWDOWN??? We just opened up FIVE new dedicated accounts and are running to keep up! No slowdown here. I'm still busting by butt! I WISH I could get slowed down.

arky 10-21-2006 04:57 AM

If your so busy, where do you find the time to post on CAD consistently, run the GoldiesPlating business you speak of AND keep up a recruiting website?

Oh, now I see. That's why you feel so stressed out, your working 3 jobs for whatever reason. I can only assume that you must not be making enough money driving. Oh well, you coulda been a Maverick :?:

Then again....maybe not :dung: :mrgreen:

northernlights 10-21-2006 12:21 PM

Maverick Bound!

Well.. got call last night and fly to Lil Rock this morning!! Was prepared to wait it out another week and consider other offers in the meantime but now couldn't be happier! I elected to go with the longhaul division as they had more trainers available there than regional and could get me in sooner. Having been isolated so long to one state while living way up north I'm excited to see as much of this country as possible which helped make longhaul an easy choice.

Good luck all! Thanks again for all the info shared here!!

arky 10-21-2006 01:33 PM

Good Luck northernlights!!

Once you get through orienatation, the securement training is actualy fun. You get a good work out, but it's fun to learn how to do things the right way.

devildice 10-21-2006 01:36 PM

Congrats and good luck northernlights........be sure to keep us posted on how things go.

dk132 10-21-2006 02:34 PM

I am also headed to Maverick. I'm scheduled for the 13th of November. Ill be in Little rock for a day of testing and then off to Missouri for 3 week CDL school. And then to North Carolina for orientation and securment training.

arky 10-21-2006 02:36 PM

Good luck dk!

GoldiesPlating 10-22-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arky
If your so busy, where do you find the time to post on CAD consistently, run the GoldiesPlating business you speak of AND keep up a recruiting website?

Oh, now I see. That's why you feel so stressed out, your working 3 jobs for whatever reason. I can only assume that you must not be making enough money driving. Oh well, you coulda been a Maverick :?:

Then again....maybe not :dung: :mrgreen:

I'm on a dedicated account now (home daily and weekends) so I have more free time. My gold business is done by three employees I just make sure they turn in their bills and P.O.'s on the weekends and I have a laptop with wireless so I can maintain the website from anywhere. I make MORE than enough money and for me, driving a truck has never been about money. Doing it because I've always wanted to. Even so, on the home daily account I make $1100.00/week.

As far as I could have been a Maverick, why? Make LESS money, drive ugly trucks and be away from home a LOT more? No thanks, think I'll stay with TMC. You inquired, I answered. :wink:

JBenson2 10-23-2006 01:21 AM

Arcky said:
Quote:

Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide.
I paid a visit to the TMC campus (50 acres!) on Sunday morning last month. They were humming. I saw about 350 tractors and trailers loaded and ready to roll early the next morning with an amazing variety of loads. And there were another 2,500 trucks out on the road. The mechanics were on duty working on the preventive maintenance programs. Other TMC employees were pulling in to work the dispatch area and lay out the schedules for the drivers. And there were about 40 drivers going through securement training.

Quite a busy place for a Sunday morning.

GoldiesPlating 10-23-2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBenson2
Arcky said:
Quote:

Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide.
I paid a visit to the TMC campus (50 acres!) on Sunday morning last month. They were humming. I saw about 350 tractors and trailers loaded and ready to roll early the next morning with an amazing variety of loads. And there were another 2,500 trucks out on the road. The mechanics were on duty working on the preventive maintenance programs. Other TMC employees were pulling in to work the dispatch area and lay out the schedules for the drivers. And there were about 40 drivers going through securement training.

Quite a busy place for a Sunday morning.

Yeah, see, we ARE pretty slow..... NOT!!!

302dad 10-23-2006 02:58 PM

northernlights,

Since you haven't driven in 7 years did they make you go to school or did they send you straight to orientation?

wonderman 10-23-2006 04:31 PM

mavericks trucks

the maroon freight liners may not be as flashy as the TMC behemoths you guys drive.....however if you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck Maverick is the way to go......Maverick drives what they do because they are good rigs. My freightliner gets over 7 mpg on an average week......the reason Maverick went to super singles was weight...every component on the truck is designed to be efficient and do a job.....flatbedding........I have personally seen TMC trucks have trouble manuevering in some of the places we go to do the job.........the trucks are longer than ours.......if you want to make a good living give me a shout and I can tell you about a good company Maverick.....wonderman

GoldiesPlating 10-23-2006 11:12 PM

Re: mavericks trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderman
the maroon freight liners may not be as flashy as the TMC behemoths you guys drive.....however if you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck Maverick is the way to go......Maverick drives what they do because they are good rigs. My freightliner gets over 7 mpg on an average week......the reason Maverick went to super singles was weight...every component on the truck is designed to be efficient and do a job.....flatbedding........I have personally seen TMC trucks have trouble manuevering in some of the places we go to do the job.........the trucks are longer than ours.......if you want to make a good living give me a shout and I can tell you about a good company Maverick.....wonderman

I'm happy to see someone satisfied (instead of complaining) about their company. It's good to know there are other drivers out there who can appreciate a fine company (which Maverick is). What I didn't quite understand in your post was where you said "If you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck..."???? TMC pays better than Maverick AND we have "flashier" trucks. Why NOT have BOTH?

malcolm96merc 10-26-2006 06:59 PM

why do u need to have both if it's not a neccessity?

malcolm96merc 10-26-2006 07:15 PM

I've been reading these threads for a couple of months now never voicing my opinions about anything, and I too, have been trying to decide between TMC and Maverick. Believe me I feel like both companies are very good choices to start of a professional driving career. I have read a lot of posts by Flatbed Fred even the one going back to when he had just got his CDL and was trying to decide who he would drive for. I feel like he's a very educated, honest, and good hearted guy, from what i have read, but he does seem totally biased toward TMC. Why would he say in one thread that Maverick is just as good as TMC then turn around and say "They have ugly trucks, less pay," and "Why not drive a shinier truck". I have read a whole lot more negative about TMC than I have about Maverick, so what makes them so much better besides the shinier trucks. That seems like the only difference to me, and please believe that a big shiny Peterbuilt doesn't make or break a lot of guys like myself. Yes, I'm directing this question toward Flatbed Fred.

302dad 10-26-2006 08:35 PM

Training pay is better @ Maverick

GoldiesPlating 10-26-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolm96merc
I've been reading these threads for a couple of months now never voicing my opinions about anything, and I too, have been trying to decide between TMC and Maverick. Believe me I feel like both companies are very good choices to start of a professional driving career. I have read a lot of posts by Flatbed Fred even the one going back to when he had just got his CDL and was trying to decide who he would drive for. I feel like he's a very educated, honest, and good hearted guy, from what i have read, but he does seem totally biased toward TMC. Why would he say in one thread that Maverick is just as good as TMC then turn around and say "They have ugly trucks, less pay," and "Why not drive a shinier truck". I have read a whole lot more negative about TMC than I have about Maverick, so what makes them so much better besides the shinier trucks. That seems like the only difference to me, and please believe that a big shiny Peterbuilt doesn't make or break a lot of guys like myself. Yes, I'm directing this question toward Flatbed Fred.

Of course I'm biased toward TMC, I WORK for them and they treat me well. As far as how drivers are treated, how well they are trained, what they have to do daily and how they are viewed by others on the road, TMC and Maverick are VERY similar. I know quite a few Maverick drivers and respect them and the work they do. If you are NOT a flatbed driver yet than it may be difficult for you to understand the respect we have for others in the same profession regarding their load securement practices and driving behavior. When I say Maverick is just like TMC it is these feelings and actions I am speaking of. We both secure loads properly and meticulously while driving responsibly and with common courtesy and respect. THAT'S where the similarity ends. I make no apology for saying that TMC pays better, does have better equipment, gets me home daily on my dedicated route and most others 46/52 weekends per year on Line Haul. The drivers I know at Maverick stay out weeks at a time and still make less than me. That doesn't make Maverick a "bad" company, just different.
I've always had a few people comment whenever I say TMC is "better" than "X" company and I find that odd. They try to disagree with me but can never offer a valid rebuttal or any evidence to prove me wrong. I truly believe that some people just love to see themselves type.

I ESPECIALLY love the people who say "Training pay is better at Maverick" Now THERE'S a way to pick your career path! Base it on what you make the first 6 weeks during training.
Company "A" pays you a Million dollars a year but you only get 100 bucks a week the first month whereas Company "B" only pays you 300 bucks a week but the TRAINING pay is AWESOME! I'm gonna go with company "B"!!! :roll:

Erik 10-26-2006 11:35 PM

flatbed fred,we are very proud of your love for "TMC",give it a rest already...what works for you may not work for everyone else,so quit belittling other drivers for the choices they may make..i look forward to the day that i read that they f***ed you like every other driver that comes through their doors...

GoldiesPlating 10-26-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik
flatbed fred,we are very proud of your love for "TMC",give it a rest already...what works for you may not work for everyone else,so quit belittling other drivers for the choices they may make..i look forward to the day that i read that they f***ed you like every other driver that comes through their doors...

I only REPLY to posts by others stating only the experiences I have had while employeed at TMC. I never "belittle" other drivers. Please note, someone can only get f***ed if they first drop their pants and bend over to allow it. I don't, so I won't.

dk132 10-27-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
The drivers I know at Maverick stay out weeks at a time and still make less than me. That doesn't make Maverick a "bad" company, just different.
:

Your opinion not a fact :roll: or do you actually compare your pay stubs?Not to many people do that Fred . That's a pretty bold statement. Boosting instead of belittling. Thats not to cool either :wink:

dk132 10-27-2006 01:23 AM

Quote:

I ESPECIALLY love the people who say "Training pay is better at Maverick" Now THERE'S a way to pick your career path! Base it on what you make the first 6 weeks during training.
Company "A" pays you a Million dollars a year but you only get 100 bucks a week the first month whereas Company "B" only pays you 300 bucks a week but the TRAINING pay is AWESOME! I'm gonna go with company "B"!!! :roll:

Again here another well thought out opinion :roll: . It must say something if a company pays better during training. Most would probably assume they would pay better after training also. It shows that they treat the employees with respect. No offense just my opinion

GoldiesPlating 10-27-2006 01:30 AM

My apologies if what I said came out wrong but I do feel the important things to compare when choosing a company are:
Pay
Benefits
Home-time
Equipment Quality

No I did NOT compare pay stubs but I have run with TMC on the percentage pay system and at 29-32%, it compares to high 40's to low 50's CPM (cents per mile). When I ran OTR I ran a full week using up my allotted driving time every day so I know I got comparable miles to a Maverick driver. Maverick doesn't pay near .50cpm so I based my "assumption" on Maverick's CPM and what my pay is, converted into CPM.

GoldiesPlating 10-27-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dk132
Quote:

Again here another well thought out opinion :roll: . It must say something if a company pays better during training. Most would probably assume they would pay better after training also. It shows that they treat the employees with respect. No offense just my opinion

Hey maybe you've got something there!!! After all, Schneider's offering a $5000.00 sign on bonus. Maybe we should all jump ship and go work for the Pumpkin?

malcolm96merc 10-27-2006 03:01 AM

hmmm i wonder if fred would have chosen maverick or roehl first, instead of TMC what would have been the outcome? I mean, would he have nothing but good to say about either of those companies and have some gripes about TMC policies, procedures, and just flat out how they do business or would he still be biased toward TMC even though he never worked there :?:

malcolm96merc 10-27-2006 03:19 AM

hey fred i have another question that maybe u could clear up for a "possible employee" like myself. In my reading of these very threads i came across a discussion a while back regarding the percentage pay at TMC. I think it might have been an employee or ex-employee i'm not sure so don't nail me to the cross, but he was saying that after u get up to about 27 or 29% they start giving u lesser paying loads and give all the good paying loads to the guys making entry level percentage. Oh and by the way I don't want u to apologize about anything u say or have said about Maverick, that company pretty much speaks for itself here on these boards, i was just stating the obvious, that's all :wink: I also thought that most Maverick drivers get home every weekend with the exception of the longhaul fleet, are you sure your information is correct Fred?

dk132 10-27-2006 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dk132
Quote:

Hey maybe you've got something there!!! After all, Schneider's offering a $5000.00 sign on bonus. Maybe we should all jump ship and go work for the Pumpkin?

I thought maybe you had something there. I thought I read that also but couldn't find a 5k sign bonus anywhere just now. Are you sure you know what you are talking about? I mean do you really have all your facts straight.. Maybe I just missed it...

GoldiesPlating 10-27-2006 04:03 AM

Check here http://www.classadrivers.com/index.php and on the right side of the page, Schneider's banner claims the bonus.
As far as what I would have said regarding those other companies if I chose them, I wouldn't, because I chose NOT to work for them after doing four months of research on ALL trucking companies. I visited many truck stops, spoke with drivers from dozens of companies, called many of the companies many times once I had my list down to a dozen or so, and made my choice. TMC. TMC is NOT without their quirks and internal problems, but most of TMC's problems are related to positive company GROWTH and not caused by lack of freight, lack of revenue or poor equipment. So I guess you can say they are "good problems" from a business standpoint. They seem to be growing so fast that at times, management sometimes has trouble keeping up. For me, I'd rather work for a company that is profitable and growing, rather than a company that is struggling to get freight or pay their bills. Not saying that Maverick has these problems, but there are quite a few companies that have to lay their drivers over quite often. Personally I have NEVER laid over and the longest I've waited for a re-load was 2 hours.