Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Maverick (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/18232-maverick.html)

rogcarolina 06-15-2007 09:47 PM

5-6 days Bubba, depending on if its Monday or Teusday that they call ya.

arky 06-16-2007 12:34 AM

Popeye, I would call and talk to either Angie or Beth. I have dealt with both of these ladies and know that they are both very helpful and courteous. As good as Maverick is in other areas, they could surely use some improvement in their recruiting department. I know that at least a couple of the male recruiters are...well, let's just say that I don't care for 'em :wink: .

Ask for Angie or Beth. Explain to them that you've never been given any idea of how long you'll have to wait. They should be able to give at least some idea.

There's definitely no need to make a nusiance of yourself. The waiting list is gonna be what it is..a waiting list. I've been told that if you keep in contact, that sometimes they might get you in quicker. I have no idea if there is any truth to that. If I wanted to keep in touch, I would call once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks, but probably no more than that.

Again, I would definitely call and talk to Angie or Beth and ask for at least some idea of how long the wait might be. It could be as short as a few weeks or as long 6 months or more in some states I'm told. I have no idea where IA falls on the their list, but I'm guessing you have a pretty long wait ahead of ya...but that is really a guess.

Hope this helps!

Arky

rogcarolina 06-16-2007 12:52 AM

I'll second that on calling and talking to Angie. She has been the one I have been talking to all along and is always happy to answer any questions that might come up. She was also very understanding of my situation of moving, and didnt pressure me, even though I told her I would come on the day she wanted me to if it was gonna cost me a shot at getting on with Maverick.

I basically just called once a month while waiting to let her know I was still alive and still interested. Also, to see if I was still on schedule and make sure nothing had changed. Hang in there if you can, they will call.

Popeye 06-16-2007 12:21 PM

Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful. I will call Monday and see if I can talk to Angie or Beth. As rogcarolina said I also want the flatbed side and as for the wait I just want to know so that I can get a part time job for awhile or can just keep doing side work like I have been for the last month since quitting my last job. We are not rich or nothing but we can survive on my wifes income if they think it will be a very short wait so that is why i wanted to know. Thank you again and I will post my answers on monday.

shadowsknight 06-17-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewNTrucking
To a Maverick driver or anyone that might know. Are they getting loads in the Southeast? I'm out of Jacksonville, FL.

TMC recently bought a flatbed company in Florida called TDT. They have plenty of freight in your area. I know that there is a lumber plant close to Jacksonville and Lowes somewhere in the area. Freight in your area can be spotty at times but there are always the ports to pull steel and aluminum from.
http://www.gotdt.com/

bubbabread 06-18-2007 09:44 PM

maverick

Man I missed the call on Thursday and didn't listen to the voice mail till Sunday. Called Shae today and she wanted me there Sunday.
Any one have any ideal how long I will have to wait again?

Earth757 06-18-2007 10:19 PM

So what is the deal. i just read the last couple of days notes and didnt know that Maverick was such a favorite company. I started with the glass division before MAVERICK took over and it still is about the same number of people coming into class each week. i train now and i know that we need more trainers so that may really be the reason why the wait is long. I let a student off on friday to finish his testing and will have the name of a new student before i walk out the door. Now for the ACE drivers, you can only come from the Transportation side and come down to Laurinburg to get glass training. They do make more money but i tell you that is unfair. Specialized has ben hauling just about everything for years but we dont get the money the ACE drivers make. Specialized is treated like a stepchild sometimes. But i love glass so i stay, plus i know how things work so i kow how to work the system they have a little. Good luck to all who apply, if your in glass i will see you.

rogcarolina 06-19-2007 10:08 AM

Re: maverick

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbabread
Man I missed the call on Thursday and didn't listen to the voice mail till Sunday. Called Shae today and she wanted me there Sunday.
Any one have any ideal how long I will have to wait again?

Shouldn't be too long Bubba, I got my call yesterday to be in Little Rock on Sunday. That was only two weeks since I was first called and had to decline the first invitation to go. Keep checking your messages on a regular basis, don't know how long they wait for you to call them back before they move on to the next one on the list to call. BOL

bigorangefan9999 06-19-2007 11:51 PM

Waiting

I received a message on the answer machine Monday night, and when I called back today the slot was already taken. Which is kinda good because I wasn't financially ready yet. I am self employed and have a couple of jobs to finish before I go. I am hoping to make it in a couple of weeks or july class at the latest. Any idea how much money is good to have set aside for school? I know that I am going with their flat bed division out of Little rock. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

bubbabread 06-20-2007 01:43 AM

Thanks guys , Earth I picked Maverick because everything I read about them is good and they have a terminal near my house. I hope all this wait is worth it. BOL to all

bubbabread 06-20-2007 01:52 AM

ROLL TIDE!!! ORANGE FAN LOL

[/img]

bigorangefan9999 06-20-2007 11:44 AM

AC/DC you going with the specialty division or regular flat bed?

bubbabread 06-20-2007 04:01 PM

Hey orange Im going into the FB devison. What part of TN are you from I lived in Fayetteville before moving to AL with my last job

bigorangefan9999 06-20-2007 11:39 PM

I'm in Cookeville (about80miles east of Nashville). What is the biggest wait, school or getting a trainer?

bubbabread 06-22-2007 11:25 PM

I think it's the trainers. It also they only allow a certain number of drivers in the same area.

bubbabread 06-28-2007 02:54 AM

Hey orange got the call will be in LR Sunday

bigorangefan9999 06-28-2007 11:37 AM

I got a call from Shay myself but had to decline for two weeks due to some family emergency. Plan right now to attend school on the 23th. Good luck and keep me posted please.

bubbabread 06-28-2007 06:17 PM

You bet, Hope every thing goes alright on your end. I may see u there,I understand there is a shortage of trainers to. Shay was my recruiter to.
BOL

stevedb28 07-01-2007 06:57 AM

you were asking which was longer, the wait for school or trainer? Neither if you are going through their school they send you to school right after your physical, and interview. And if you go to school through Maverick, you are a top priority to get a trainer, they make the guys who already have a cdl wait so you can get with a trainer right away. At least thats the way it was when i went through all that jazz. I think there are a lot of factors for why you wait to get to Maverick at first. If you have a cdl, its waiting for a trainer. If you are going to school first, its the wait to get into one of the trailers at the school. There is only room enough for about 10 people in those trailers and you are talking about students being there for 3 weeks, so only 3 or 4 can go on any given week unless the trailers are more empty than usual. Hope that gives some understanding on the waiting list.

Piece Of Work 07-01-2007 10:50 AM

Waiting for a trainer is waiting for someone who is crazy.

notarps4me 07-02-2007 05:05 AM

Question

What can you all tell me about the ability test? I have heard they use a heart monitor. I have never had to take one for a driving job. I do not have any heart problems, but I am no spring chicken. I am in my mid-40's. I have heard if it hits a certain rate you are done. Anytime I go to a orientation and take a new job my stress level is up anyway. Just wondering what all takes place during this test. Thanks for any replies. I am looking at flats, no glass or specialzed.

This rookie title has to go! :P

arky 07-02-2007 05:34 AM

Don't sweat the agility testing. You'll do fine. It is thorough and I'm sure they probably do put you on a heart monitor although I don't remember it specifically. They will push, pull and prod every inch of your body...well almost :roll: ....but hey, she was cute!

I'm in my 40's also and thought I was out of shape until I saw some of the other guys who showed up for orientation. The guys that I thought could never make it through all passed. The 1 or 2 who failed had blood pressure problems and such. I know at least one guy came back the next week with papers from a physician and I saw him a month or so later in a truck so I know he made it the second time.

notarps4me 07-02-2007 09:59 PM

Thanks Arky! 8)