Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   TMC (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/16152-tmc.html)

mudflap276 12-09-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonSeggern
BND I am in Des Moines now with my trainee, look for a fat, old, bald guy.

dont talk about your trainee like that :lol:

Duce 12-10-2006 01:20 AM

Congrats BND!!!! if you think west Burlington was fun wait till you meet some of the folks in Des moines... i am about to start my 2nd week out with my trainer.. been having a blast out on the road, we are running 3 weeks straight then taking one week off for the holidays then back out for the rest 8)

BoyNextDoor 12-10-2006 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonSeggern
BND I am in Des Moines now with my trainee, look for a fat, old, bald guy.

Hey von... Call me... 914-479-8348

I just got in, and settled in. Can't wait for tomorrow, so i can take a closer look at those Petes... I was already drooling while i drove in here...

I finally made it here...

Cheers.

BND!

Rawlco 12-10-2006 06:26 AM

I have had a good second week out with a trainer. We got to do a trailer swap at Tifton Metals in Delhi LA. The next TMC driver in there will pick up our almost new trailer #5800 while we are stuck with an old 48' x 96" #2821. :x

I have also learned this week that I despise styrofoam insulation. I finally took several bungees to hold the x-straps on rather than have to stop every hour or less to reset one x-strap or another. :twisted: I suppose now that I know to bungee it I probably won't have that problem next time. We also learned that we should have used the black edge protectors instead of (or perhaps in addition to) the ones provided by the shipper.

I have also learned that I despise the 387 Peterbilt that I am in now. First off my lane control sucks even after a week. With no hood to sight down I am mostly centering in the lane by mirrors, and with the way the cab is wider it feels like the left line is passing under my left foot when I am actually centered in the lane. Second thing I dislike is that the closets are too close to the seats, limiting the range of motion. Third thing that I dislike is the lack of power outlets. There is only one power outlet on the dash and three in the sleeper area. The 379 I was in first week had three on the dash and four in the sleeper. Give me a 379 any day.

shadowsknight 12-10-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawlco
I have also learned that I despise the 387 Peterbilt that I am in now. .... Give me a 379 any day.

I didn't like the 387 because it didn't turn worth a darn. It drives like a fat truck. I had to agree totally on the points you made about outlets. The only thing I liked about the 387 over the 379. You can stand up between the seats and walk into the sleeper. In the 379 you have to be a contortionist to get into the sleeper.

geomon 12-10-2006 07:23 PM

shadowsnight wrote:
Quote:

I didn't like the 387 because it didn't turn worth a darn.
I am surprised hear that as the 387 has a 50 degree wheel cut and "should" turn much sharper than the long nose. That wasn't true for you?

EasyRolln 12-10-2006 09:24 PM

BND,

Good luck while you're in Des Moines! I just left there Friday and I'm home waiting for a trainer. So you won't be surprised, be prepared to fill out some more paperwork when you get to class tomorrow. You'll also have to take three tests (D.O.T., General Knowledge, & Math). You'll have a couple of days to take them, so don't panic. Just use your time wisely and stay away from the class clowns. You'll have other tests as well. Austin will be your instructor for the first week, Don will be your instructor for load securement, and Phil (looks like Santa Clause) and Jeff will be your yard instructors for your second week.

As far as your physical test, you'll have to lift up a lumber tarp from the ground and put it on the trailer. Then you'll have to jump up on the trailer and put a steel tarp on a steel coil. After that you'll have to climb up 13 feet (without a tarp) and walk on a load to prove that you can overcome a fear of heights (if you have them). You'll have a quiz and a test on memorizing the equipment you need for a steel coil as well. If you don't do well on the quiz, then you will be paired up with another student who will be your tutor.

When you make it to the yard, take notes and listen! Your on the road instructors are laid back and cool as long as you listen to them and don't try to kill them.

shadowsknight 12-10-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geomon
shadowsnight wrote:
Quote:

I didn't like the 387 because it didn't turn worth a darn.
I am surprised hear that as the 387 has a 50 degree wheel cut and "should" turn much sharper than the long nose. That wasn't true for you?

The 379 turns much much better then the 387. You have to understand that for 15 years I have driven Freightshakers, which turn quickly.
The 387 is not a truck that will turn easy and you will find that you have to turn differently than another truck. I had a hard time making right turns for the first week in that hog.

BoyNextDoor 12-10-2006 09:57 PM

Thank you for the heads up Easy... I updated the pics on my Inbox account, so go check them out...

Can't wait for tomorrow...

I only might have a little problem with the afraid of hights stuff, but I'm confident i can master it...

vonSeggern 12-10-2006 10:26 PM

I have had both trucks; the 387 and the 379.

The 387 IMO is a gigantic, rickety, leaking, moose of a truck. Comfortable it is but it turns like crap, leaks like a sieve, (during rain I would get wet - at the Blue Beacon when they did the final rinse gallons water would spew onto the floor from the outside vents.)

The 379, with X-1's is almost a ton lighter; that means I can take heavier better paying loads, fill the tanks with most any load on the trailer, and climb hills. Despite the fact that the 387 is aerodynamic I never could hit over 5.9 mpg. The 379 that I just turned in was getting 6.08 before it hit 30,000 miles; she was a beauty but blew a turbo Friday and now I have to break in yet another new truck :(