User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default More bad news for Star Transportation drivers

Got a message over the qualcom this afternoon stating that due to the current state of the economy, Star would no longer provide tuition reimbursements. I had to read this twice to be sure they weren't just going to cease offering it to new drivers.. no, they're shafting current drivers by not following through on their promise to repay CDL school tuition.

Granted, $125 a month isn't much, but given their crappy miles there's been several times that made the difference between my getting a paycheck or not. I'm just glad I'm getting away from this cheesy outfit before they tell me to bring my own fuel.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakdancer View Post
no, they're shafting current drivers by not following through on their promise to repay CDL school tuition.
Unless they had no written agreement to reimburse tuition, they are contractually obligated to do so.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

You forgot, trucking companies can get away with anything as long as it is perpatrated towards the drivers. They will not stand for anything. You try to tell them, a truck driver, that what the company is doing might be wrong and they all say " it's a lifestyle, you wouldn't understand man". Really makes you question their logic. What's next? Maybe they will start charging drivers rent for living in the sleeper. Seems they are already paying to stay warm/cool.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Unless they had no written agreement to reimburse tuition, they are contractually obligated to do so.
Rev, I kinda had to read that sideways, but I think I understand what you're saying.

While they didn't make the offer in writing, they did offer it verbally during recruitment and upon completion of training, sent me a follow-up letter specifying the reimbursement rate and procedure.

In short, in addition to probably hundreds of witnesses who heard the same promise when they were recruited, I believe there's sufficient evidence of an implicit contractual agreement to convince a court of law. However, to collect, I'd have to keep starving there for the duration of the time it would take to collect what they owe me, so I'm cutting my losses and moving on.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakdancer View Post
Rev, I kinda had to read that sideways, but I think I understand what you're saying.

While they didn't make the offer in writing, they did offer it verbally during recruitment and upon completion of training, sent me a follow-up letter specifying the reimbursement rate and procedure.

In short, in addition to probably hundreds of witnesses who heard the same promise when they were recruited, I believe there's sufficient evidence of an implicit contractual agreement to convince a court of law. However, to collect, I'd have to keep starving there for the duration of the time it would take to collect what they owe me, so I'm cutting my losses and moving on.
If you have a letter stating the rate and procedure, and they have shown some history of paying it, then they've set a precedent.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

This is no different than if when you hired on and were recruited the company stated that they would pay for your medical insurance. Then the company decides that offering that benefit is too costly and either makes you pay a portion of the cost or the whole cost.

When they recruited you and others, tuition reimbursement was offered but not guaranteed.

This has happened to me regarding medical insurance and 401k matching contributions. Neither one was offered by guaranteed contract, just a benefit at the companies discretion.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 AM

I would have to say you have some leg to stand on there. If you are planning on staying call OOIDA and let them know whats going on and show them your evidence. Star may have a legal issue on their hands with that one.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 AM

To settle the whole legal argument thingie, they do state right in the front of their employee manual that they reserve the right to change any company policy at any time and without notice, so I'm sure they're covered there. However, there's a big, big difference between whether a company CAN do something, and whether they SHOULD.

An even bigger issue is their new idle policy. With as few miles as I've been getting, I just can't afford to pay them $24/night for heat, so I bundle up and shiver all night. Yeah, you can just bet how well rested I am in the morning. IMHO, Star has put a dollar value on the safety and welfare of their drivers and the motoring public. I won't, and I've turned in my notice.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

any updated info? They are looking for drivers in the northeast
Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

$24 a night? How do you figure that? As in, what IS their idle policy? Either way, that is quite rotten.
Also, is this red Star from Illinois or blue Star from Tennessee?