User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Melton

This is another company I'm considering. It doesn't have the highest pay, nor do they claim the highest miles, but I just got a good impression when talking to them up there. I think recruiters are basically salespeople, and I figured I'd have better odds reaching one of their drivers here than I would at a truck stop. Besides that, I seem to spend more nights at the repair shop than the truck stop while working here, so not seeing any Melton trucks around is probably a good thing. Anyway, they were basically trying to sell the company as one that pushes for better customer service/relations, and who values their drivers' health, happiness, etc. They also don't hire anyone right out of school, so that makes me think they might be a better place to work. It seems like it would be nice to work somewhere that the dispatchers and others who work up there actually listen to you and believe what you say rather than lying to you and acting like you don't know what you're talking about all the time.

So anyway, is this for real or just a sales pitch? I am not naive enough to think it's 100% accurate, but it would be nice if something as simple as getting a worn tire replace didn't mean taking 20 pictures of the tire and emailing them for review and waiting a few hours for authorization first. Or a place where I could tell them there is a problem with the truck and they actually look at it rather than just saying there's nothing wrong with it. I think you get the idea...

They also used the lines about "I'd rather tell you ___ and be able to deliver than promise ___ and not be able to" a few times. Are they really honest with you? Is that even possible?

I'd also be interested in seeing what your average miles are, do you get paid for all of them, do they short you on your checks at all, and things along those lines. Any feedback from one of their drivers or even someone who used to work there would be appreciated.

TIA,
hax
Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 PM

I don't know from personal experience and I'm not a flatbed driver, nor have I ever been, but I've heard on more than one occassion that Melton is a good outfit and also that they tarp A LOT. When you do finally track down one of their drivers to talk to you may ask about the tarping, unless you just don't care about that aspect of flatbedding.

I for one don't think I'd have too much fun tarping up in Wyoming in January with the wind gusting at 60 + mph. But then again, you may think that flying across the parking lot, holding onto a frozen tarp at a high rate of speed is better than an E ticket ride at Disneyland. I'm too old for that! (Does anyone remember when Disney had ticket books for the rides?)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
(Does anyone remember when Disney had ticket books for the rides?)
You mean they don't any more??? lol
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I for one don't think I'd have too much fun tarping up in Wyoming in January with the wind gusting at 60 + mph. But then again, you may think that flying across the parking lot, holding onto a frozen tarp at a high rate of speed is better than an E ticket ride at Disneyland.
Yeah, I was pretty much thinking exactly that. Sounds like a great time.

Hey, it's a job. I'm from Ohio, so playing in the snow is nothing new to me.

-hax
Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Sent you a PM hax.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

I worked for melton back in 05. I'm sure much has changed since then. They used to be the sister company to CFI @ the time, but once CFI sold out to conway they separated from them. I worked there over 6 months during the dog days of summer. I liked the company and the way they treated me, but I couldn't take all the tarp-ing. And as the summer went on i thought about folding that damn thing up in bad winter weather and said there is no way i'm going to do this.

For the most part the runs are generally 450- 900 miles. Sometimes its LTL and other times its a straight load, all depends on whats available. They pull alot of A/C and crated glass out of tulsa going across the country. My first load with them was crated glass in an A frame. Decent load going to VA. paid pretty well to. Depending on where you live you can get thru the house often. I got thru the house just about every week with out even asking. I ran a circle to the NE and back to tulsa so I was home almost every week.

Equipment is great, so you wont have to worry about bad tires or broken lights, every time you pull in to tulsa you truck and trailer must go threw insp. All and all they're just like any other OTR outfit, some days good and some days bad, but the longer you stay the better they become. Most of their drivers are true million milers, Just about 40% of their fleet has a million miles and they are proud of it. I say give them a try you can be in a truck and on the road after a week of orientation.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 PM

I got my start in flatbeds with Melton.This was back when they took students.They are a great company.I didn't mind the tarping,at least they pay decntly to tarp.The only real problem I had was getting home.I lived in West Texas at the time so they kept me on the East Coast.Their equipment is top notch.I noticed you lived in Ohio,you might check out Maverick.They are another flatbed company out of Little Rock.They would get you home more often than Melton.Hope this helps.I currently drive for Carlisle,out of their Houston Tx terminal.I would recommend them but you have to live in Texas.I have seen more of their Anchorage Alaska terminal then I care to.It is getting cold up there.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Slow trucks (63 i think) low pay 34 cpm or so, hometime infreqent- 3 to 4 weeks out
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I was just talking to a Melton driver this evening. He's only been with them for a month and a half, but he sounds happy. He said they have new owners, the former owner died, and now they've got new trucks coming in, and his new truck is getting the new lettering on it as of today. His daughter is in the hospital, so I didn't get a lot of chance to talk to him, but he seems happy and excited with them.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Melton hasn't had a new owner since Bob Peterson took over in 1991. Gotta love road rumors.