User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default National Carriers (NCI) / John Christner Trucking?

Any current info on either of these guys? Yes - I know they're lease carriers, I'm not here to debate that fact and I know what the general feeling is on those programs. I've been a lease driver and made money. Curious to see how miles have been for drivers at these companies. Have a friend who just started with National Carriers as a company driver and so far so good, but I was hoping someone on here may have been with them longer.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry to see that Crete didn't work out for you DG.

With either one of those operations...National or JCT....do you think you can see the home time you want to have?

That is what you should be looking at.

I suggested a couple companies a couple months ago, when you were first looking for a new job.

Here are a couple more suggestions, in line with what you are already doing.......

Get in touch with Cargill Logistics and with ADM Logistics. Neither have driver jobs posted on their websites, yet both have large truck operations, close to you.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks - I'm going to dig up some phone numbers and see what I can find. Hopefully I'll be back in Tulsa by tomorrow and can really start buckling down. I can handle extended time on the road if I have to - after all I was the one that originally extended my time out this run with Crete. It's when my hometime is used as a punishment for something totally beyond my control was what was the breaking point with them. I can do two weeks out, it's not ideal, but I can do it. I don't have any room for error at this point though, and honestly if Arrow hadn't folded I'd have gone back to them at this point.

JCT turns out to be a moot point because they're booked up for orientations until mid March at this point, I'm waiting on a call back from National, and I'm going to google up some phone numbers for Cargill and ADM once I get off of here.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 AM

Here are a few jobs in the Tulsa area:
Local company looking for an experienced Class A CDL Driver Must live in the Tulsa or Okmulgee area. Most deliveries in a 50-mile radius from Tulsa. Some trailer spotting may be needed. Home every day. Looking for full-time or part-time. Competitive wages and benefits. Call 918-665-3006; ext. 214 Buske Lines.

Driver REGIONAL AND OTR DRIVERS Since 1932, Groendyke Transport has been a financially stable and family owned & oriented business. Great Pay and Hometime Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance Benefits. 401k with Company Match Employee Assistance Program. Requirements: CDL-A with 1 year exp. Tank/HazMat Endorsement 800-331-4402 APPLY ONLINE AT www.groendyke.com EOE

Driver Wanted: Local LTL Carrier seeking to hire Line Haul Driver w/haz/doubles experience. Must have 2 yrs. verifiable experience. Clean MVR. Good benefits, great pay. EOE. 74 N. Darlington, Tulsa. 918-406-2076

Driver DEDICATED DRIVER Average $850 to $1250/ week delivering Store Merchandise Family BCBS Benefits. Paid Vacation & 401k Predictable Hometime Requires CDL-A with 1 yr. exp. & HS Diploma/GED 888-605-5235 Averitt Careers :: We're Looking for People Like You! Equal Opportunity Employer Females and Minorities Encouraged to Apply

Hope this helps! These seem like decent jobs. I would apply if I was in the area.
I have plenty more if you're interested! Regional flatbed too.

Last edited by Coilhaulr; 01-23-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Coilhaulr, sorry I didn't reply Didn't have tank or doubles, and Averitt was only hiring outside of Oklahoma - I'd looked into them a few times.

I did end up going with National on the recommendation of one of my best Arrow drivers that came over here, and so far I'm really enjoying this outfit. They are running my rear end off. The only reason I'm sitting still right now is that my logbook is nearly out of my 70. Just easing through the rest of the week and then taking a few days at the homestead to reset everything. I've run more miles in one week than I did my entire month with Crete. Go figure!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgrl View Post
I did end up going with National on the recommendation of one of my best Arrow drivers that came over here, and so far I'm really enjoying this outfit. They are running my rear end off. The only reason I'm sitting still right now is that my logbook is nearly out of my 70. Just easing through the rest of the week and then taking a few days at the homestead to reset everything. I've run more miles in one week than I did my entire month with Crete. Go figure!
dieselgrl, are you a company driver? I worked for Critter about 10 years ago. I drove for an O/O that was leased to them. Do they still have monthly meat specials for the drivers? I do miss that, and all those miles! I ran from Liberal, KS to Hunts Point and back, to LA and back, heck, to just about any direction and back. Whatever direction I felt like going.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9 View Post
dieselgrl, are you a company driver? I worked for Critter about 10 years ago. I drove for an O/O that was leased to them. Do they still have monthly meat specials for the drivers? I do miss that, and all those miles! I ran from Liberal, KS to Hunts Point and back, to LA and back, heck, to just about any direction and back. Whatever direction I felt like going.
I'm actually a lease-purchase driver, my buddy is a company driver and we're both about on par with each other right now (I'm on a regional fleet, so my higher deadhead percentage hurts my bottom line a little more). We do still have the meat specials out of Liberal and Dodge City - just snagged a price list last time I was at the plant actually. I don't eat it (I'm a vegetarian), but my husband and daughter will, so I can't really argue about the prices for living with a cooler in the cab for a few days :lol:

These days they're feeling some growing pains - DOT finally caught on from the looks of things and we're having to fly right and legal now :rofl: , but you can tell the critters are still used to doing whatever they want to. Causes some tensions since they're having to crack down on the drivers, but it's not hurt my miles much at all. I've got about 3,200 miles for this past week, and that's on a regional fleet that's supposed to average 2,200-2,500/wk!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

How long have you been doing it now...and what type revenue are you seeing running regional??
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
How long have you been doing it now...and what type revenue are you seeing running regional??
I've only been with this outfit for two weeks now, so it's still to early to project lease success over the long haul, but the blog in my signature has a link to my financial spreadsheets. I generally update them at least every couple of loads when my internet speed is fast enough to upload something to Google Documents. Success or crash and burn, it's all going to be there
Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Board Regular

A friend of mine went to work for JCT early last year. Claims to be making good money. Says he consistently averages over 3000 miles a week. They run loose leaf logs over there and occasionally they have to get creative and bend the rules to get the runs there on time. You can't have any late deliveries. He also says if you complain about it, they will get rid of you. Nevertheless, he doesn't complain and says he can deal with it. Thus, if you decide to take the plunge, be aware of what you are getting into. Also, he stays out 6 to 8 weeks at a time, as most of the drivers for JCT do. Likes his 2010 prostar with apu though.