User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Chances of Me Getting CDL and Working in Oil Fields - Need Advice

Hello all,

I am a cross-roads and need some information before making a decision to pursue a CDL licence. Before I get into the questons; here is a little info on me:

- Live in California
- Im in my early 30's, a minority, short and a little over weight
- Been unemployed since 09
- Background is in construction. Worked as an Estimator
- Wear glasses. Im nearsided but can see fine without glasess.
- Got a non-felony DUI in December 07 (4+ year old DUI)
- Have no other violations in the last 4+ years, unless suspended registration for no insurance counts.

I want a career change and would like to get a CDL and work in the oil fields. I am at a point where I have to decide to either pursue the CDL full-time, or take a low-paying position in 2 weeks.

My first question is this; would I even be able to get a CDL with my eyesight and being a little overweight (30 pounds heavier than what ideal weight should be). I have no high blood preasure or any thing like that.

My second question is; what are my chances that a company would hire and train me with my DUI and no experience in the oil field?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Board Regular

I would say not very good on driving in the oil field, which is part of the reason that we are in need of so many drivers here and in Texas.

We have stacks of aps, but few can pass a drug or background check.

Not saying it is not possible, but honestly that DUI is still pretty recent. And then there is the experience, or lack there of...

As far as getting your CDL, if you can pass the test, they will give you one. But, you will more than likely end up at an outfit like Swift or England until you get some experience under your belt for at least a year. And that is "safe" no tickets or DOT violations experience.

Bottom line, if you do get a CDL, it will help you in the long run as long as you keep your nose clean.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Rookie

Agree with the first post. Get your CDL and time under the wheel and stay clean and safe.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I have been some research and its possible to get hired on if the DUI is 5 years old.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Rookie

most, if not all companys will not hire with a DUI less then 7rs out, some 10yrs out, you can double check this but that is what i see on almost all job posts, plus most want at least 1 yr exp, Good Luck to you tho(serious) try the "getting the experiance companys that train" for a yr, (JB,Werner,Schieder,Etc). then ya can move on down the road. Again, good luck an hang in there