User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anyone have any knowledge or experience with JB Hunt Intermodal?

I've been offered a pretty good gig with JB Hunt Intermodal pulling containers from rail yds in 5 states here in the Midwest to different yards and customers. Almost all drop / hook. Detention pay starts after the 1st hour at $15/hr waiting. Other pretty good perks as well but I know nothing of JB Hunt Intermodal and nothing about rail trlrs. I do know JB owns all their own rail trlrs and has a very good safety record. But as most of you know, leaving one company for another in trucking isn't the same as leaving a typical 9-5 job for another with tons of paperwork, training, road test, drug test, physical...etc so sometimes it seems easier to just stay put if you're not sure jumping ship is going to be worthwhile.

I'm just looking for some feedback from anyone who happens to know the scoop, or knows of anyone whose employed by JBH Intermodal and can enlighten me a bit on any pros or cons one way or another.

Thx
cH

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I have no experience whatsoever with intermodal and will be starting with JBHunt on Monday for a flatbed gig. I've spoken to a couple of their drivers doing the rail yard loads out of Harrisburg, PA that seemed to be really happy, especially since they're home daily. Not sure if yours is a daily-home gig or not.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

i used to run out of harrisburg (not for jb) and 90% of their drivers seem happy. if the rail yards are anything like harrisburg that is the WORST part. as far as the trailers go.. jb has the best. best maintained, good tires and brakes. just make sure you carry zip ties and zip tie all the chassis locks. pull it like any other trailer. but they're a bit top heavy.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Thx for the replies. No, the JB position is out of Chicago and runs 5 Midwestern states, home every 11 days for 3-4 days off starting at .40/mi. running drop/hooks 2600-2800 miles/wk. Right now I run Canadian dedicated, make a comfortable living but I'm tired of dealing with US Customs bs, the company politics, back-stabbing drivers I work with and get home once a month even though I'm based just 91 miles from the house. The JB pay would be a tad less, but I'd get home consistently every 11 days, not dealing with union warehouses live unloading and would get $15/hr for every hour after the 1st hr for any load/unloading/waiting delays.

Any other input about JB Intermodal would be appreciated. Thx for the feedback!

"Never say never because you just never know"