User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Marten Transport

Guys just looking for a little help here I just accepted a position with Marten Transport. Anybody that works for them and wants to chime in about the miles and the percentage of Drop and Hooks would be greatly appreciated. I am going to start with them in Sept. I live in the Allentown,Pa area.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I just delivered a new Great Dane trailer to them in Mondovi and had a long chat with Bill in the inspection bay area. Seems they are having some difficulty getting and keeping good drivers. They had 9 more starting out while I was there. Not sure if it is due to freight or if they are just getting a crop of bad drivers. Not sure it means anything, but I would go into it with eyes wide open. They have bought a grip of new trucks and trailers, so something must be going right. Not my type of company, but that doesn't mean it's a bad one.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Y ou better read the threads on here before you commit to Marten,I drove for them last year you are making a mistake going there
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Congrats! I drove for Marten in the 90's and enjoyed working for them. They treated me fair and will do the same with you as long as you do your job and make your appointments on time. Equipment was top notch and I got plenty of miles. I met lots of good people there in Mondovi and other good drivers working for them out on the road who had been there 8-10-15 years +. Take that for what it's worth, if a company sucked as bad as some of these drivers say you wouldn't have drivers hanging around there for that long. I left to accept a position with an entertainment company, and in hindsight, that was a mistake, and if the opportunity presented itself I'd probably go back to them. Marten was a good company IMO. Most companies these days have alot of turnover with all the hacks driving trucks who do nothing but complain and think the grass is going to be greener at the next job down the road. Wait till CAS2010 takes effect in Nov and there will be even more hacks jumping ship everywhere with alot of empty trucks and trailers sitting around. That will be a good thing for the rest of us who enjoy what we do! Good luck to ya!

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been gone almost 2 years now and from what I hear things are a little rough there right now although I was doing fine when I left. I have known 2 drivers that work there. One left about 6 months ago. He was not happy with his fleet manager and was getting below average miles with mostly short trips. He was also getting home a day or two late all the time. He had been there for 6 years. It sounds like they have had a hard time getting the E-logs to work out all while changing things to a more regional operation . He left for Shaffer and lasted a whole 3 weeks over there and now he has been at JBS for 4 months and very happy. My other friend at Marten has been there for about 12 years. He was just about ready to leave in the spring but last time I talked to him about 2 months ago he said things were getting a little better. I'll probably call him this week to see what's up. Even with the bad I have heard my personal experience with them is good so I would still call them if I needed a job and see what they had to offer. Being able to get the fleet manager I had before would have a lot to do with my decision though.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys I start with them on Sept. 20, 2010. I got my TWIC card already and had the Hazmat. Looking forward to getting started. It was kind of nice I had several offers and was able to pick the one that I wanted. Again Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Rookie

TWIC & HAZMAT for a reefer company. Did you even google them????
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Rookie

Well Mr. Kickstart I researched them quite a bit. And they paid for the TWIC card. Did you google them or just need something to say.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Rich,
Seeing that you are from PA, you should have no problems getting a load out of the house or into the house. Marten runs alot into US Cold in Bethlehem, Americold in Allentown, AB in Newark, OJ out of Cranbury,NJ, and alot of other NE freight near you.

Have a friend that drove for Marten twice, first was seven years and the he went back for two more. Was a trainer. Had nothing but good to say.

Kickstart,
Reefer companies haul more that just food products in those trailers. Some hazmat loads need to be temp controled. MArten does a good deal of hazmat. My friend use to haul a hazmat load into a local janitorial supply company here in Pittsburgh as a hometime load plus many other hazmat loads.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback Double R. I am looking forward to going to work for them. I spent a month doing my research and feel that I am making the right decision.