User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Professional Drivers, I Need Some Input...

Greetings!

It’s been a while since I poked my head in here to ask you all to share your abundant wisdom with me, but now I’m back to do just that. I know how much you all like to advise others, so prepare yourselves

Last September I fell asleep (metaphorically) while making plans for my life, and I subsequently ended my 5.5 year road journey. I found an apartment and moved in with the idea that I would finish my last two years of school at home and OFF that OTR truck…

Long story short (and I probably now sound like a host of other posters at this point), I am looking to resume my position on the road. Just today I spoke with recruiters at Schneider and JB Hunt. I am also applying to FedEx this afternoon, and prefer to work there… my pipe dream, however, would be to work for Air Products & Chemicals, but I don’t see that happening since I have ZERO tanker experience.

If you all would be so kind as to help me decide which opportunity seems better, I would appreciate it very much!
Now, I have the tank, hazmat, and doubles/triples endorsements, so I have some options.

Schneider has an intermodal regional program where drivers will work 5 on and 2 off, but they cannot choose the days off. Also, with the experience I have I was aghast at the thought of being paid .28/mi (notice I didn’t say I was surprised…)!

Schneider also has the regional bulk tanker program where the driver can choose in advance which six days he or she is off each month. The driver must be home at least 1.5 days at minimum, but can work all month and be off for six days straight or any variation of that.

JB Hunt offers six-state intermodal delivery at .33/mi where drivers will work 5 on and 2 off; drivers cannot choose the days off… but it is .5/mi more than Schneider’s intermodal program…

Now, I know these are peanuts for all you professionals, but I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

FM
Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 AM

Wish I had some good advice for you and could help you make the right decision,but, I think its something you'll have to decide what you want....things have changed a lot in the past few years,good luck to ya.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM

In your situation I would choose the Schneider Bulk option. It will open up more doors for you in the future based on your pipe dream. The tanker business is totally different than freight hauling. It pays better and in most cases less stressful in my opinion. You get paid for just about everything you do pulling a tanker. You are basically in control of the unloading and you generally don't have to wait long to load or unload, usually under 2hrs for each. Of course it is a great deal more dangerous than pulling a box and you have to be that much more careful with EVERYTHING you do.

I also used to work for Schneider, although it wasn't for the bulk division, its really not that bad of a company to work for. The bulk division will be that much better based on the nature of the work.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is often difficult to advise someone as to what they should do with their life, especially without any personal knowledge about them. From your post, it sounds as though you want to get into pulling tankers. If that is the case, then you would probably do better with Schneider. Even if you didn't stay with them, you could carry that experience with you wherever you decide to go. Schneider is a much more diversified company. They have vans, flats and tankers, etc., JB Hunt primarily runs vans. Both may do some inter-modal, but that won't broaden your level of experience to any significant degree.

It sounds like you would start out making more money with JB Hunt. I don't believe that JB Hunt has any tankers. You can earn a living with them, but won't get the broader experience as you would with someone such as Schneider.

Ultimately, you need to decide what you really want to do and plan accordingly.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Seadawg, BHG, and GMAN, I want to thank you all for your input; I really appreciate it. Since posting my original message, I have continued applying to places I might enjoy working... I passed the pre-hire interviews with JB and Schneider, and I am leaning towards the latter. However, based on the tanker threads, I called Superior Carriers...

Unfortunately, I have no idea where my search will lead, but I will keep updating. Hopefully, something will happen soon

Thanks again for the advice!

FM
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy_Maneuvers View Post
Seadawg, BHG, and GMAN, I want to thank you all for your input; I really appreciate it. Since posting my original message, I have continued applying to places I might enjoy working... I passed the pre-hire interviews with JB and Schneider, and I am leaning towards the latter. However, based on the tanker threads, I called Superior Carriers...

Unfortunately, I have no idea where my search will lead, but I will keep updating. Hopefully, something will happen soon

Thanks again for the advice!

FM

since the time you off the road,you didn't enjoy being at home every night! sleeping in your own bed. all your off duty time wasn't spent sitting in truck,watching tv at the terminal,or trying to sleep during the day,only to drive all night. i always enjoyed being dispatched by somebody who came in at 0800 only to leave at 1700 sharp! to enjoy there off duty time with what ever they enjoyed doing with there real life.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Hey you gotta start somewhere. I started hauling general dry van and flatbed freight. I did that for about 3 years then a job opened up near my home one day looking for Haz Mat tanker drivers, I applied and took it and have been doing it since (not with the same company, they shut down). But I haven't looked back and wouldn't haul anything else unless I had to. I've hauled propane, fuel, and chemicals and enjoy the challenge. As long as you have some experience (2+ years) a lot of tanker companies will give you shot, most train, most understand you gotta start somewhere. I was at Schneider as well and liked them pretty well. Just find somewhere to start at get your experience and skill built up and then make the transition, good luck.