User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default E.W. Wylie

Tell me about E.W. Wiley out of Fargo, ND? Good or bad!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3507 View Post
Tell me about E.W. Wiley out of Fargo, ND? Good or bad!
They have a new lease purchase program.:roll2:

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM

I don't know a lot about them but I just started here on Monday in the Heavy Haul/Specialized/Wind side. We just finished orientation last night and I will hopefully be out of here today (before the blizzard hits). I got to spend a hour with the terminal manager here in Fargo one-on-one yesterday and he comes from a 20 year driving background. There's been a little disorganization with orientation but part of that is we had a class of 6, 2 flatbed and 4 HH and they each have a different program and they said this was the largest group they have had. Overall it went pretty smooth and both the flatbedders are gone on loads as well as one of the HH guys. I was the only one of the six that got put in a 4 axle tractor with a three axle trailer so I already know I'm going to be sitting a little more. What would be a legal load on 5 axles could put me over gross and permiting a load that can be hauled legally with a smaller truck can be a little difficult.

The trucks are mostly Macks, they have a few Freightliners and a couple of Pete's. The Freightliners and Pete's are primarily Heavy Haulers since most of them are 4 axle. I'm not sure how far back the Macks go in age, I have seen a couple of 04's on the list but I can't say for sure. It looks like 90% of the flatbeds are 48X102 aluminum spreads but I wasn't part of that group so I can only go by what I have seen out here in the yard. They haul a lot for thier sister companies, E.W. Wylie is owned by Ottertail Corporation wich owns several different companies, some manufacturing and various others.

The terminal here in Fargo is brand new, they have a nice drivers lounge although there is no showers or washer/dryers. One thing I really like, when you walk up to the main office, there's no jersey barriers around it and no secret service to have to get past to walk in. The terminal manager and all the fleet managers are accessable. The company I just left, the terminal was surrounded by barricades and if you wanted to see your DM face to face, they had to come outside, drivers weren't allowed in the main building and unless you had security clearance you couldn't even open any of the doors.

Wylie is just getting back into the Heavy/Specialized (they sold that division off many years ago) and as such they are having some growing pains so there is going to be some bumps in the road especially in that division but overall they seem to have thier stuff together (the company was started in 1938 so they aren't new). They have Peoplenet communication in all the flatbed trucks and most of the HH trucks, the wind trucks which is what I have, have Qualcom. Right now they are still using Trippak and paper logs but they are moving towards paperless on everything so your Peoplenet will be your log and trip papers will be scanned. Again, that is all new to the company so they are learning right along with the drivers at this point. I got selected as one of the testers for the paperless on the qualcom so I will be having to run both paper and paperless till they get it integrated and certified.

As for fueling, they use TCH and the preferred truckstops are Flying J. If you fuel at a J and aren't getting cash or oil you don't even have to go in, just fuel and drive. Otherwise you can get 50 gallons at any of the other stops listed in the TCH book. There is a weekly cash advance put on your card every Sunday morning but as to the amount, I'm not sure, I think it's different depending on you division.

Don't know what else I can answer, I'm still new here and can't say how the freight is but just remeber, no matter what any company recruiter tells you, freight is very VERY slow right now especially for flatbeds.

Last edited by catalinaflyer; 01-08-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info catalinaflyer. If you can please post more as you find out what they are about.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info catalinaflyer. If you can please post more as you find out what they are about.
What are you looking at, flatbedor heavy/specialized. I don't and won't know much more about the flatbed side, we run under the same name and use the West Fargo teminal but thats the end of it. I see the flatbeds coming and going here at the terminal but don't get to talk to many of them.

As or the HH side, you HAVE to be able to run Canada. That's whee they loose a few potential drives, if you can't run Canada they won't put you in Heavy/Specialized/Wind. I think that the flat side may come to that real soon as well. I watch them transferring 1 load right after another of pipe from Wylie trucks to Canadian trucks for the past four days.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM

I am interested in heavyhaul. Canada is not a problem for me. Flatbed will be fine also but, I'm not much on general freight.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I am interested in heavyhaul. Canada is not a problem for me. Flatbed will be fine also but, I'm not much on general freight.
First off I want to clarify, right now heavy haul/specialized freight is slow SLOW SLOW no matter what company you go to. Flatbed freight is slow as well but Wylie seemed to get everyone out of here in a day or two from the Fargo terminal this past week.

As for the heavy/specialized side there are 4 of us here over the weekend. There are 2 4axle/55 ton trucks (one of which is mine) and 2 3axle 35/40 ton trucks. I could have been out of here yesterday but I don't have a TWIC card and neither did the others setting here.

If you looking at coming here for heavy/specialized what you do will depend on your experience. Most everyone starts off in a 3 axle truck with a 35 or 40 ton RGN then moves up from there. The natural progression if you want to stay heavy and not into wind is to go up to a 45 ton trailer then move into a 4 axle tractor with a 55 ton trailer. If your looking at wind then you would go from an RGN on heavy to pulling blades then back to an RGN on top towers, then up to mid towers and finally the big move would be into a 4 axle tractor pulling schnables hauling bases.

Wylie sold it's heavy haul many years ago and they are just getting back into it. In fact all the equipment is less than 1 year old. Wylie is owned by Ottertail Corporation and one of it's sister companies under Ottertail is DMI. DMI is one of the main tower builders with a plant here in Fargo, one in Tulsa, OK and another in Ft. Erie, ON (By Buffalo, NY). Ottertail was looking at the millions of dollars a year they were paying out to carriers moving the towers and since they already had a flatbed company the natural move was to start a heavy haul division to carry thier own product. The terminal manager here in Fargo come from a 20 year background as an owner/operator in heavy haul and the lead driver on wind has been in heavy specialized for 50 years and has 20 years of tower experience.

To say that everything here is perfect would be a lie, there are some growing pains and bumps in the road right now but as I have said before, they seem really open to input from experienced drivers. I was with one of the "Mega" specialized carriers for about two months before coming here and let me tell you, it's a whole different atmosphere. Wylie is small compared to some of the big players but they have a clean operation and a driver is not looked at like a robot. You can walk into the main building and right up to your driver managers desk. The "Mega" carrier I was with, drivers weren't even allowed inside the building and if you wanted to meet the person on the other end of the phone you had to call inside and see if they would come outside to meet you.

There have been a few specialized drivers hanging around here this week that have not stopped complaining about EVERYTHING. I think that they think they are some kind of premadona and should have everything handed to them on a silver platter. I got tired of listening to all the BS in the drivers room Thursday morning and they were asking all the drivers to go out and pull trailers out of the snow banks so they could plow real good before the next storm. I was the only one who went out while all the others dissappeared. Needless to say when dispatch had a load pop up and they came to the drivers room to find someone, I got the load. It wasn't nothing special, and oversized front end loader needed moved 50 miles and another one brought back but at least it was work. It could have been hauled on one of the smaller RGN's but since I was out there running around in the cold, I got the load. It also helped me out because I discovered a leaking hub seal on my flip axle which I was able to limp back to the yard with rather than being stranded in some shop somewhere out on the road.

I spent the day yesterday swapping out my flip axle for the one that was supposed to be on my trailer. I also found my gooseneck extender out in the snow back, got it dug out and got the shop to set it on my trailer for me. I also found my stinger axle and checked it all out, made sure the lights were all good and that the registration was current on all three peices of my trailer. As of right now I'm not going to carry my stinger with me since that will be used more for tower sections. If I get into a situation where I have a load putting me over gross but not enough to require the stinger there are some states that won't allow me to have it chained to the deck along with the load on a permit. It adds about 3,000 pounds and they sometimes frown on that.

Anyhow, I hope this helped a little, I'm still new but so far I like what I see. Not as much money as the "mega" carrier I was (comparing apples to apples) but at least here we're not looked at like we're robots.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm still setting here in Fargo. It got up to a warm +15 today so I got everything taken care of with my trailer. Hopefully I'll be out of here tomorrow. There's a couple of pilot cars that pulled in this afternoon for loads going tomorrow so I can hope that I'm on one of them. With that being said though I just checked the weather and we are under a blizzard warning tonight and tomorrow morning and it just started snowing while I was uploading these pictures.

Here's a couple of pictures of my new ride.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinaflyer View Post
I'm still setting here in Fargo. It got up to a warm +15 today so I got everything taken care of with my trailer. Hopefully I'll be out of here tomorrow. There's a couple of pilot cars that pulled in this afternoon for loads going tomorrow so I can hope that I'm on one of them. With that being said though I just checked the weather and we are under a blizzard warning tonight and tomorrow morning and it just started snowing while I was uploading these pictures.

Here's a couple of pictures of my new ride.

And here I was, thinking you had jumped from a red Pete379 into a Mack Vision. (The most commone EWW truck I see)
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Actually the 4 axle trucks here are either Freightliners or Pete's. The Macks are all 3 axle.