User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Average Miles Question

I was trying to do a little more research on a few companies and get some driver prospective instead of recruiter handouts our them reading from a pamphlet they were handed. I was curious how many miles each of the current companies are running a week and if those miles stay pretty constant throughout the year or do they fluctuate heavily? If they do fluctuate, when and by how much? I know this is a pretty long list, but I am looking for answers with each company from current drivers, or those who have left recently as a solo driver so that I can get a look at current situations. The list is not in any order of preference, just in the order in which I was able to get in touch with a recruiter. Thanks ahead of time for any input you might have.

McElroy
Total
Stevens Transport
KLLM
TMC
Dart
Knight Transport
Knight Refrigerated
US Express
Covenant
BTC
Willis Shaw
FFE
Werner
PAM
Schneider
Howard Industries
Swift
Trans AM
USA Truck
Vernon Milling
Watkins Shepard
CRST (Team Miles)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Miles don't make you more $$$$$....... acc pay does.
As an O/O I can avg $4300 a week and only run 2200 miles.

I can tell you from 4yrs experience as an O/O with Schneider, they have plenty of freight.... slows down around Jan-March like everyother company, but they will keep ya moving.

Actual mileage depends on where you call home though. I live outside Chicago and they ran my tires off untill I got onto their "Choice" program.

With them dispatching I ran about 2200 miles a week but that was a MON-FRI gig.
Once I got on the load board and dispatched myself, I ran less miles but made more $$$$
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Steel Horse Cowboy hit the nail on the head. Even as a company driver, I've had weeks where only 50% of my pay came from mileage.
I work for Werner on the Dollar General account, and average 1600 miles per week. However, my gross pay hovers between $900 and $1100 as a solo, and $1200 to $1500 with a trainee (not a student).
When I was on 48-state with them 2 years ago, I averaged 2000-2500 miles weekly, which translated into $520-650 gross. Needless to say, I'll take money over miles ANY day.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
Steel Horse Cowboy hit the nail on the head. Even as a company driver, I've had weeks where only 50% of my pay came from mileage.
I work for Werner on the Dollar General account, and average 1600 miles per week. However, my gross pay hovers between $900 and $1100 as a solo, and $1200 to $1500 with a trainee (not a student).
When I was on 48-state with them 2 years ago, I averaged 2000-2500 miles weekly, which translated into $520-650 gross. Needless to say, I'll take money over miles ANY day.
Thanks, I, as most eager newbies do I am sure, was not even thinking about loading/unloading pay, layover pay and all of that because I just didn't think it would add up that much, but I guess if you make 6-15 stops a day it will add up quick.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwyr View Post
Thanks, I, as most eager newbies do I am sure, was not even thinking about loading/unloading pay, layover pay and all of that because I just didn't think it would add up that much, but I guess if you make 6-15 stops a day it will add up quick.
I will admit that I am somewhat of an oddball in regards to stop pay and so forth. When I ran 48 state, I never once had stop pay, and only once had driver unload pay. As for this layover stuff, I've never had that.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwyr View Post
As an OTR driver you will (I'll go ahead and say it) NEVER have 6-15 stops a day. Maybe 2 or 3 every once in a while and maybe 4 and MAYBE 5 on the bluest of blue moons. The stop pay only counts on the stops that fall between the first and last stop. So, if you have a 4 stop load you'll get your stop pay x2 - not x4.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon View Post
As an OTR driver you will (I'll go ahead and say it) NEVER have 6-15 stops a day. Maybe 2 or 3 every once in a while and maybe 4 and MAYBE 5 on the bluest of blue moons. The stop pay only counts on the stops that fall between the first and last stop. So, if you have a 4 stop load you'll get your stop pay x2 - not x4.
Thanks, I knew I wouldn't get that many stops OTR though, I was exaggerating for effect.