User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for a training company in Western NY

I'm pretty close to making the jump into trucking and I have a few questions.

First of all I have heard you all say it's better to pay for your training yourself rather than go with company provided training. The part that worries me about that is finishing but not being able to find a job. Is it really possible to get a hiring commitment before I go to school on my own?

Second I live in Rochester, NY Exit 45 on I-90. I'm thinking that a company with terminals in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area would improve my chances of getting home. Also I think I want to try flatbedding. The ones I found that will train newbies are:
Millis (Weedsport)
Swift (Syracuse)
Conway (Rochester, but I think its all van and they don't train)
CRST (Buffalo)

Am I wrong about looking for companies with nearby terminals? Does anyone know of any others? I have been hanging around here long enough to know that they all stink. Any opinions about which one stink less? I sort of like CRST and Millis.

Finally, If I go to school on my own I'm thinking maybe National Tractor Trailer School in Liverpool NY which is PTDI certified or Professional Drivers Institue in Rochester which is not PTDI certified . Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Western NY Training Company

CRST and Millis. I think CRST is team oriented van. CRST Malone is O/O flatbed. Millis, last I knew, was van. As far as inital CDL training, are there no junior colleges in you area? Better more thorough training at a better cost. BOL
Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Thanks Sealord. You are right about CRST Malone and I don't think I'd be happy teaming. The Millis website says they are dry van but their page on CAD says they do it all including tankers. So CRST is out but Millis may not be.

As far as school goes the local community college works with PDI in Rochester.