User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt Power Program

Does anyone know if this power only program is any good. It's similar to Landstar, but with the bad rap Hunt has wondering if there are any hidden secrets.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default JB Hunt Power Program

JB's a newbie to owner/operators. Landstar's been at it for awhile. What should that tell you? BOL
Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 AM

They aren't really all that new to O/O's. Most of them look like outside carriers because I believe you have to have your own authority and you don't put Hunt's name on your truck.

I was in Rockford, IL a few months ago parked next to a guy like this. We also unloaded at the same place. He seemed real happy with them. He had 2 trucks with them, both paid off so that made it easier. Said he's been doing it with Hunt for a couple years I think(?). Said he was making money and getting home when he wanted to.

He seemed like he liked them alright. I'm sure Hunt is big enough they ought to have freight about everywhere. Also he said they didn't care what his logbook looked like since he had his own authority and turned them into himself, not them.

Just what little I know. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I was approached by JB Hunt last year to see if I had an interest in doing their program. Business was extremely slow, so I decided to at least look at it. I was initially told that they paid 80% of what they received. When I received their contract I found that they only paid 70%. I also found that I would be required to purchase general liability and trailer insurance to insure their trailers. After I confronted the guy who called and found out what they actually paid I decided to pass. It is not my responsibility to insure their trailers and I fail to see the need for general liability insurance. I told the guy that I could make as much leasing to someone such as Landstar. He told me that they patterned the program after Landstar's program. I did get a couple of names from him. Those with whom I talked said that they were doing pretty well under the program. You operate pretty much like an owner operator who is leased to them. The difference is that you must have your own authority and additional insurance. The guys I spoke with said that they were making about $1.40/mile to the truck. There are some carriers who are working with them and pulling their trailers. About the only difference between leasing a truck to them and doing this program is the additional freedom you would have running your own authority. If you decide to pursue it I would suggest getting some names of carriers who have been doing it for a while and see what they say. I would also check on the additional insurance costs. You will need $25,000 for their trailers. I don't recall the name of the type of insurance. You may also want to check the cost of general liability. After talking with others who have been doing it and the extra costs you can make a rational decision. You could always do it for a while and then cancel your agreement if you don't like it. I can tell you one thing for sure and that is that van rates are pretty low right now. If you want to pull their trailer and can get the same average rate they told me they were getting last year then it might work for you. With Christmas coming up rates should come up for vans. If you decide to proceed I hope that you will come back and share your experience with us.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks guys. I'm not sure yet. Just checking it out. I don't like the idea of extra insurance either.

The one thing I liked was, according to the recruiter, that you can drop their trailer and go do someone else power loads and then pick up another Hunt trailer when you feel like it. You never know how much crap the recruiter is giving you.

I'm gonna talk to some of people in the program before I do anything with them.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
They aren't really all that new to O/O's. Most of them look like outside carriers because I believe you have to have your own authority and you don't put Hunt's name on your truck.

I was in Rockford, IL a few months ago parked next to a guy like this. We also unloaded at the same place. He seemed real happy with them. He had 2 trucks with them, both paid off so that made it easier. Said he's been doing it with Hunt for a couple years I think(?). Said he was making money and getting home when he wanted to.

He seemed like he liked them alright. I'm sure Hunt is big enough they ought to have freight about everywhere. Also he said they didn't care what his logbook looked like since he had his own authority and turned them into himself, not them.

Just what little I know. Good luck.
I may have talked to the same guy in the Atlanta, Ga terminal when I worked for JB. The guy I talked to ran two trucks and was getting another. Making real good money and happy as punch. Had been with them a couple of years. No complaints. He said he ran every load they gave him no matter where it went.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Bigmon, did you sign up with this JB deal?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

No. I'm still looking at a few other options before I decide.

Since I have your attention....why do companies have a max 5th wheel height of 46-47"? Can it be lowered if it's higher then that?