User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to do????????

Ok first post here and i could use a little help. Ive had my CDL A for 16 years and i have driven mostly OTR Northeast regional and local. I have a spotless driving record and criminal history. Great work history and no DUI's. Sounds good right??????????

The last five years i have been self employed and that seems to be the catch. Most companies want OTR in the last three years and it must be verified. Being self employed there is no acceptable way i can prove this to them.

Any ideas???????????? Small companies that understand this type of situation????????

Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivinhome View Post
Ok first post here and i could use a little help. Ive had my CDL A for 16 years and i have driven mostly OTR Northeast regional and local. I have a spotless driving record and criminal history. Great work history and no DUI's. Sounds good right??????????

The last five years i have been self employed and that seems to be the catch. Most companies want OTR in the last three years and it must be verified. Being self employed there is no acceptable way i can prove this to them.

Any ideas???????????? Small companies that understand this type of situation????????

Thanks
Just so everyone is clear:

In the last 5 years was your "self employment" in a driving position? If it was, was it local only? Regardless of the type of job, you should have tax records and such. If it was driving you should have copies of invoices and such. Please fill in some of the gaps so we don't have to guess your true situation.

Ridge
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Just so everyone is clear:

In the last 5 years was your "self employment" in a driving position? If it was, was it local only? Regardless of the type of job, you should have tax records and such. If it was driving you should have copies of invoices and such. Please fill in some of the gaps so we don't have to guess your true situation.

Ridge
and log books, you should have log books
Old 09-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys mostly Local work with a few runs a month OTR only Northeast though. Log books and letters dont seem to work for these big companies. They want W-2's or 1099's. My customers pay me but they are small as well and are not required to submit these forms.

I know it sounds easy but im finding out it isn't.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys mostly Local work with a few runs a month OTR only Northeast though. Log books and letters dont seem to work for these big companies. They want W-2's or 1099's. My customers pay me but they are small as well and are not required to submit these forms.

I know it sounds easy but im finding out it isn't.
Umm, What? Not required to file the proper and correct legally required tax forms? Did you even pay taxes? Do you or did you own your own truck and trailer? Sounds to me like you were scammin' the taxman and now it's coming back to bite you on the keyster.

Repeat after me "You want fries with that order?"
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I would think the companies that you worked for would have given you a 1099 or W2 so that they could support their expense unless you were really a small amount (less than $600) for them.

How could you support yourself unless you did runs for a lot of companies? Doesn't quite add up. :eek2:
Old 09-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Invoices for loads you hauled and cancelled checks would back up your logs.
If any interstate you would have a DQ file containing drug test,random drug test,medical(in 5 years),maintenance reports,all linking you as a driver. Also IFTA and IRP(or permits),insurance and operating authority. On top of that all tax filings.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Rookie

:hellno::hellno:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
I would think the companies that you worked for would have given you a 1099 or W2 so that they could support their expense unless you were really a small amount (less than $600) for them.

How could you support yourself unless you did runs for a lot of companies? Doesn't quite add up. :eek2:
I have all my Taxes 1040 and YES i have reported all income. It's mostly local Excavating work to builders and home owners. My buisness is very legit and by the book.

That is not what i was getting at. The OTR companies dont see that as enough. They want Recent OTR within the last three years. I dont have that it's mostly local in the last five years. Prior to 2004 i Have OTR but that is not acceptable to these companies.

I guess my point here is i have been driving TT for sixteen years with no other work involved so i figured it would be easy to back OTR again. That doesnt seem to be the case. I guess New England driving doesnt give you enough clout to drive OTR.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
:hellno::hellno:

That is not what i was getting at. The OTR companies dont see that as enough. They want Recent OTR within the last three years. I dont have that it's mostly local in the last five years. Prior to 2004 i Have OTR but that is not acceptable to these companies.

I guess my point here is i have been driving TT for sixteen years with no other work involved so i figured it would be easy to back OTR again. That doesnt seem to be the case. I guess New England driving doesnt give you enough clout to drive OTR.
sorry for the misunderstand. It is my understanding as well that lots of companies, even local want recent OTR experience and generally don't define OTR quite so regional as that.

BOL
Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Aside from possibly a small mom & pop outfit some where, I am willing to bet that the only OTR companies that will look at you will be the "mega carriers". Although you have had your CDL for 16yrs, they will more than likely require you to get a refresher course and/or go out with a trainer before allowing you to go solo. I know that may suck big time, but insurance companies are more than likely preventing them from hiring someone without recent verifiable OTR experience.

Last edited by devildice; 09-19-2009 at 11:44 PM.