User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sherman Bros.?

I got a job offered to me by Sherman Bros. out of Oregon hauling glass out of my area with weekly hometime. I need a job since where I am at right now I spend more time at home than on the road. I have about 5 years OTR experience and flatbed experience I just have never hauled glass on those A-Frame trailers I don't know how easy or difficult they are or glass is? Does anyone have any experience hauling glass? Or running with Sherman Bros.? Or just any info? The pay and hometime are decent I'm pretty sure I'll take it. But any help would be appreciated though.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM

So I assume no one has any info about these guys? Or any info or experience hauling glass? Just a lot of questions and info about the mega carriers (I'll save you a lot of time and money, they all suck). I'll take no news as good news .
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Board Regular

I looked at leasing to them back in the 80's- they were way cheap with their OO's at that time.

Their company trucks aren't the newest or nicest equipment. You will spend a lot of time on I-5, I think it's pretty much lumber south & glass back. You will tarp every load of glass, but they do have fitted tarps. I've hauled glass, both crated & not- it's not that big of a deal, common sense & a bit of instruction should set you up fine. They also haul steel & machinery. I've never really heard any drivers or ex-drivers bitching about them and they have stayed in business for a really long time while lots of others have failed.

What are they offering for pay & bennies?

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun View Post
So I assume no one has any info about these guys? Or any info or experience hauling glass? Just a lot of questions and info about the mega carriers (I'll save you a lot of time and money, they all suck). I'll take no news as good news .
The folks in the main office in Harrisonburg always seemed like a decent bunch to me.

We had a problem on the road in 2004, an "A" frame with $400,000 worth of marble broke apart. They helped us get a crane (on their lot), helped us lift the marble, rebuild the cutomer provided frame, and waved goodby when we were done. Didn't charge us a cent for labor. The outside crane cost us $1,700.

Delivered the marble ontime.

I have known several of the drivers there. Flatbed / Specialized (like glass) and tanker. I can't recall any bad opinions given about them.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Been years since I hauled glass out of Houston but I didnt find it any more difficult than anything else. Just make sure its tarped as water can damage it. Other than that the fitted tarps make that part easier to do. The fact that its glass wouldnt throw me off at all.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Default 1truckdrivinsunuvagun

Did you go to work for Sherman Brother's? How do you like hauling glass? How are the benefits, hometime and can you tell me what they are paying you? What health insurance do they use? Blue cross blue shield?