User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Van Wyk Inc.

Anybody know about Van Wyk out of Sheldon, IA? I looked at their web page. Did a search on here and didn't get anything. Looking for someone who may have driven for them, or talked to one of their drivers. Looking at relocating from the Mpls, MN area down to the southeastern corner of SD ( South of Sioux Falls and north of Sioux City, IA). I'm interested in running regional or otr where I can be home on weekends. I'm running local now and the company I'm with doesn't keep me busy enough. I can't pay my bills, and I'm falling farther behind.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Call and ask them your questions.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Rookie

I'll get a hold of them on Tuesday and see what they have available, and throw my questions at them. I'm just looking for some "insight". I'm in the situation where I turned down a regional job about three weeks ago and now the place where I'm at is really watching our hours. I may have to bite the bullet and try to find a second job to add to my income.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball View Post
I'll get a hold of them on Tuesday and see what they have available, and throw my questions at them. I'm just looking for some "insight". I'm in the situation where I turned down a regional job about three weeks ago and now the place where I'm at is really watching our hours. I may have to bite the bullet and try to find a second job to add to my income.
Would be very interested in what they have to say/offer - They are one of many companies my husband intends on calling this week.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Their website has some good information. But kind of vague on somethings. I have a tendancy to stay with and look at smaller companies, unles I'm considering a dedicated run. The largest comany I've run with had around 300 trucks (Kreilkamp trucking). I ran a regional dedicated between Milwaukee and the Mpls and State of MN. The only problem I had with them was reloads from MN back to Milwaukee to get Loaded trailers back, were very slow and I ended up Sitting more than I like.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Rookie

I went to Kreilkamp oreintation a couple weeks ago I was supposed to be hired for local -Kohls/ottawa,IL. I get there and they changed the pay to 3cpm LESS then want you to buy this and buy that. O don't worry they will just deduct it from your check. I left the night before it ended when I found out that they planned to send me OTR when s slow
Old 05-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Rookie

Kreilkamp has a very impressive maintenance program. I would still be driving for them if they could have done a better job of load planning. I ran the Kohl's account out of Menominee Falls. The one big thing that saved me was I ran over the weekend when alot of the other guys wanted to be home, and then I reset Sunday afternoon and Monday. Normally Murphys law of trucking kicked in I'd be ready to go Tuesday morning, I'd have a dry van and all they would have would be reefer loads. I'd have to sit until early afternoon and then go load and run to somewhere for the next morning. I had a couple of times where I ended up sitting one or two extra days at home before they would "find" something. Minneapolis is a fairly new area for them to run. They just didn't have the freight base built up yet. I understand they have 12 to 15 trucks per day to try to find reloads for, but it was frustrating to have a fresh clock and be stuck at home.