User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default heavy haul question

hello all first post just wanted to know something

I live in central texas and have been driving for 10 years, owner operator for 5 of that back to company step deck 48 states now was wondering how to get into heavy haul with my own truck I hauled my own D 7 around and moved some for other ppl but never much but was just wondering without " heavy haul experiance" would i get into it company truck 4 axel rgn 3 axel type job thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertrain View Post

I live in central texas and have been driving for 10 years, owner operator for 5 of that back to company step deck 48 states now was wondering how to get into heavy haul with my own truck I hauled my own D 7 around and moved some for other ppl but never much but was just wondering without " heavy haul experiance" would i get into it company truck 4 axel rgn 3 axel type job thanks
Not to rain on your parade but my guess is that without any verifyable HH experience you might have to start at the bottom anywhere you go.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Rookie

i figured as much was just wondering of a company that i could start with that also does hh that i could maybe work into it ( ofcorse also home everynight paid an ungodly amount and and they provide hot sexy women to come wash the truck every weekend while i sit and drink beer while watching )
Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 AM

for where your at lonestar trans might be a decent bet.....they have several facilities in texas

but i also have heard that they are a pain at times

pay is good...44 cpm, and slowly work ya up in levels to the really big stuff

i think theres a few threads in this very section have contain posts about this outfit
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

You can try Anderson Trucking Service (ATS) out of Saint Cloud, MN. They do heavy haul. I am in orientation and will post more information after I am dispatched on my first load. That should be on Friday.

They hired me and I am from Austin, TX. I did find out today maybe I was lucky because the recruiter thought Austin was 67 miles from Laredo, TX, where ATS has a terminal. Maybe if I do well they will hire someone else from the area.

Generally speaking, without verifiable experience in heavy haul, you will start as a class 4, general freight and move up by hauling five loads of the next higher class. I can dig out the exact requirements for each class if you are interested. I think, starting at class two you also have to take a written test. 1A is the highest class.

Some drivers stay at class 4 by choice. Others want to have more freight available and work their way up as quickly as possibly. Whatever class you are you can haul one class above and all classes below you. Making more freight available and you will get priority for any load over a lower class.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I always wondered what it would be like to haul one of those HH trailers that have like 5 or 6 pivot points and like 20 axles

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar View Post
You can try Anderson Trucking Service (ATS) out of Saint Cloud, MN. They do heavy haul. I am in orientation and will post more information after I am dispatched on my first load. That should be on Friday.

They hired me and I am from Austin, TX. I did find out today maybe I was lucky because the recruiter thought Austin was 67 miles from Laredo, TX, where ATS has a terminal. Maybe if I do well they will hire someone else from the area.

Generally speaking, without verifiable experience in heavy haul, you will start as a class 4, general freight and move up by hauling five loads of the next higher class. I can dig out the exact requirements for each class if you are interested. I think, starting at class two you also have to take a written test. 1A is the highest class.

Some drivers stay at class 4 by choice. Others want to have more freight available and work their way up as quickly as possibly. Whatever class you are you can haul one class above and all classes below you. Making more freight available and you will get priority for any load over a lower class.
I am back in the truck again. Welcome back, Terry!
I think, Anderson has a "Texas" regional or something?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertrain View Post

Keep us posted on your search and what you find. I live in the area also (near Dripping Springs) and have been thinking about getting into heavy haul sometime down the line if possible.