User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which One??

I have offers from two companies and they both appear about the same on the outside so I have been trying to find something on them that would help me make my decision. They are Seward Motor Freight out of Seward, Ne and Koch Transport out of Minneapolis, Mn. There are two differences and the one is the pay, one pays 1 cent more, then one runs NYC and one doesnt. Anything I got from searching was several years old and nothing new, I am hoping to find someone who knows something about one of them or works for one of them. I have checked out there SAFER SYS rating and they both seem to be pretty close in comparison there also. It makes for a tough decision when you dont know much about a company and havent heard much about the company and both companies seem to be about the same from the outside, so maybe someone here can help me narrow it down by throwing some info my way, thanks guys and girls.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Board Regular

i would take the one that does not go into new york. 1 cent per mile is only 30 bucks a week...based on 3000 miles
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Which one has the closest terminal?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Rookie

One is 1,000 and the other is 1,100 miles not really close for either of them.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Are these the companies that you narrowed down or the only two you got offers from? If only two that offered you a job, I'm missing something. There are alot of companies still hiring even if you have little or no experience, just depends on what you want to pull. 1000 miles from a terminal seems like a long way to go when you want to get home if they don't let you take the truck.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Koch gives 150.00 to go into any of the 4 burroughs in NYC .....thats better than most
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
Koch gives 150.00 to go into any of the 4 burroughs in NYC .....thats better than most
I dunno about Koch but I know for a fact that Schneider charges $550.00 min for a burrough p/u or drop.

So these companies cut the driver $150.00? Fair enough, I suppose it's their company and they can charge and hand out whatever they damn well please. But $150.00 is not worth it to me to go into any of the 4 burroughs.

You the driver are taking all the risk. Did you know that a 53' trailer is illegal off the national network within NYC? Yes it's a big scam so the local cartage companies get more work, but do you really want to risk a $300.00 fine for $150.00 and then put up with all the gridlock, crime, traffic, no parking, low underpases, moon-sized craters, tight docks, getting lost and all the other BS?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Rookie

These are the two companies that I narrowed down, and from what I understood they do allow you to take the truck home with you. I have tried to find a company with little or very little Northeast/East Coast, and the way it sounds Koch runs a little to much of that area for me, but that is why I was trying to get some first hand info on theses comapnies because so far, all I have had to go with is what a recruiter is telling me. For the experience side, I have about 14 years of experience, but like I said the deciding factor will be the area they run, if it was up to me I would probably move a bit more West away from this area I am in now because all you can find in this area are the Northeast/East Coast carriers, and I spent my first 4-5 years running that and I am sure it has only gotten worse. So the way it looks now it will probably be Seward unless something better drops in my lap, so if anyone has any info on Seward they can pass my way I would appreciate it, thanks everyone.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Rookie

You've got 14 yrs and can't figure this out? Both terminals are 1k mi away? What problems do you have?

If you're so set on 1 of these 2 companies, stay away from NYC and any NE. If you've ever run there, you know:

1) congested roads slow avg speed per day
2) limited parking
3) tolls. so company reimburses, but you put up front.
4) crappy roads
5) one wrong turn in NYC and you shear off the top of your equipment.
6) like the other post said, know where you're legal in NYC?
7) been there, spoke to 8 people to find one who could speak english. no one there knows directions.

making south to north deliveries in PA is bad enough. for me, anything north of richmond, va or east of OH blows. throw Chicago in there too. again, parking.

when I ran out of Ft Worth going to Denver, SLC or Billings, never a prob parking at any time of day/night. I-95 from above Richmond sux. PA sux. MD sux, DE sux. CT none existent. MA if you find the Pilot early. NY sux (ex's home state).