User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default It's between Crete and Marten

I hate these this VS that threads as much as the next guy, but I've narrowed it down to these two companies.

I like marten for their snow chain policy. Basically, I HATE winter on the road, I don't care about driving on snow packed roads or up and down mountains, I just hate throwing chains even though I made some blocks, it's still a PITA. Supposedly the chains on marten trucks are there just for the reason that some states require you to carry chains during certain months. Now with me living in Sacramento not being able to chain up could screw me out of hometime and leave me stranded in reno if it's nasty up on donner. I Like martens selection of trucks but who knows what will be available when I'm at orientation. They don't pay practical miles so thats a negative, but they do have APU's (at least thats what it says in the latest roadking ad) which is a plus to me because I idle 24/7 even if it's perfect outside. I don't know where Martens orientation is, Can someone help me out?

Now onto Crete:

I could of sworn that Cretes minimum age was 23 but it looks like they lowered it to 22 so now I'm in luck. The pay is top notch but who know's about the miles. I would want to be on the national fleet rather than the western cause I want to run EAST!!! Something I didn't do but only a couple times at gordon. Crete has some boring run of the mill company trucks and no apu's. Crete require you to throw chains I assume but is it up to the drivers discretion? At gordon I basically got the idea that when I said I didn't feel comfortable I could pull over, but when I did, I would get a smartass remark about how another driver on the fleet is going up and over just fine and I should get going... Is crete like that? Both marten and crete require hazmat (which I need to get) and crete's orientation is in NE which is a long bus ride from here. So I would fly but that's even more $$$.

Help me decide guys, you all have helped me out in the past and I plan to be out and back on the road in September. You all can have this local crap... OTR is where it's at!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Rookie

Why not go back to gordon?

Did you not really like em? or just need a change?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Rookie

I work for Hunt Transportation, Crete's sister company. We use rental cars to transport drivers to orientation, and reimburse for gas. I assume Crete does as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptown6184
Why not go back to gordon?

Did you not really like em? or just need a change?
I'd like to try something new with a company that can get me east instead of running up and down I-5 all the time.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't know where Martens orientation is, Can someone help me out?
You do your orientation in Wilsonville,Or or in Mondovi,Wi By the way marten will fly you to one of those locations . NO GREYHOUND !!!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

First of all, as previously mentioned, Crete will get you a rental car to drive to Lincoln (I got an Impala). They will reimburse you for gas and lodging as well. They would more than likely send you to our SLC terminal where you would do your paperwork, physical, drug screen and road test. If that goes well they'll assign you a truck there (if they have one) as well as give you a load that will run you through Lincoln for orientation.

Second, if you don't want to chain just tell dispatch you don't feel safe driving in those conditions. If they have to reschedule your delivery so be it. Be aware however that they might have to reschedule it for later than you want.

Third, it's been a while since I last saw Marten's pay scale but what I remember of it it didn't even come close to Crete's. I average 3200-3300 mpw so the miles are there.

Fourth, if you idle 24/7 you will get called into your terminal managers office for an ass chewing. If you continue you will be terminated. One of the reasons Crete pays so well is because they expect the drivers to conserve fuel whenever possible. Besides, we have opti-idle but still, if your idle % is too high you will get called on the carpet for it.

Fifth, you will spend most of your time in the east whether you want to or not. Most of the drivers I have talked to who are domiciled out west only run west when they are going to or leaving from home.

Last, Crete will reimburse you the expense of applying for your hazmat endorsement.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have more questions.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Rookie

Sorry to bring up gordon again Kona, but me and my wife are headed to Orieintation soon in Aug, and i am just hoping that running teams with them is gonna be a decent company we chose... we are both 100% noobs just starting out and i think .40 with most + info about the company is why we chose them... anyway any advice you can give us? or know if gordon treats h/w teams good? etc? thanks Kona
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 AM

i too have my top two sights set on these very companies---marten and shaffer (same company as crete). See my other post.

1) I talked to a crete driver just on monday night and he says that he does well on mileage. Every crete driver i see says the same thing.

2) If marten tractors now have apu's, then that is a positive.

3) Ditto on the fact that Crete has some, i don't want to use the word but, lame tractors.

4) i've never chained a truck ever. I'm not saying this is good or bad either.

Personally, i would and will apply to marten first and if not accepted, apply to Crete/Schaffer next.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

Marten does not pay for weighing out a load, they pay like a $1.50 for each load. They say that they have air weigh guages on their trucks.
but the trucks that I have had them on were not that accurate especially when bumping 80 K gross.

Second, they give drivers a hard time about trailer washouts. They want the drivers to sweep the reefer. Have to call dispatcher to get washouts approved. Having pulled reefer since '93 for KLLM let me say it is a pain to sweep them.

Marten just now starting to put APU's on their tractors and the article said it would be like 3 years before all power units had them.

Marten is a good company, it is just good to know as much as you can about them.

Crete is a very good company but the fact that they us mostly Pilots for fuel and the way the are abou the log book is a big minus. I can see the problems between safety and dispatch wanting you to make an appt on time and I would not want to be in the middle of that all the time.

If you want to pull reefer take a look at KLLM they pay more and have APU's on all '05 and up.

Good luck,
Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: It's between Crete and Marten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
I like marten for their snow chain policy. Basically, I HATE winter on the road, I don't care about driving on snow packed roads or up and down mountains, I just hate throwing chains even though I made some blocks, it's still a PITA. Supposedly the chains on marten trucks are there just for the reason that some states require you to carry chains during certain months. Now with me living in Sacramento not being able to chain up could screw me out of home time and leave me stranded in reno if it's nasty up on donner. I Like martens selection of trucks but who knows what will be available when I'm at orientation. They don't pay practical miles so thats a negative, but they do have APU's (at least thats what it says in the latest roadking ad) which is a plus to me because I idle 24/7 even if it's perfect outside. I don't know where Martens orientation is, Can someone help me out?
I never put on chains the entire time I worked at Marten. I was going to one time to get over Snoqualmie because I had spent the night at the truck stop and wanted to get going. The sign changed to no chains as I was turning onto the on ramp, I put the hammer down. Anyways, Marten doesn't want the trucks moving if they need chains on.

Like Mikey said you'd probably do orientation in Wilsonville,OR (right near Portland) or Mondovi,WI. They also do orientations in Indianapolis and Atlanta but not at their Ontario,CA terminal unless they started doing it recently. They do fly you to orientation but your on the hook for the airfare for the first 6 months of employment. So if you leave within 6 months you have to pay it back. My airfare was about $550.

I read the article on Marten getting APU's too. It will probably take many months to get them on all their trucks. I wish I had one when I worked there. I've really had over the road driving on my mind lately because I noticed that I'm not as happy of a person as I was when I was OTR. So I was thinking if I went back on the road would I got back to Marten or go to another company? I couldn't remember why I chose Marten in the first place and then I remembered one of the big things for me was their home time policy. 1 day off for every 5 out. A lot of other companies are 1 off for 7 out. Something to think about in your decision. I still made real good money even using up all my home time when I went home. I'd rather stay out 30 days and have 6 off at Marten then stay out 28 days and only have 4 off at another company. But maybe some companies cut you some slack and let you have extra days off. I took a couple extra here and there at Marten. Ok, my bed time has arrived, later 8)