User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Returning to OTR-HELP!

PTL? Western Express? Anybody know if they might be ok for a driver trying to get back into OTR with everyone treating me like Im not experienced? Also, is it possible that Werner might be ok at least for a little while running out of Atlanta? Any other sugestions?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherphilip View Post
PTL? Western Express? Anybody know if they might be ok for a driver trying to get back into OTR with everyone treating me like Im not experienced? Also, is it possible that Werner might be ok at least for a little while running out of Atlanta? Any other sugestions?
I can not personally help you with your questions. However, if you provide a little background about yourself in regards to experience etc, I am sure you'll get some replies.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Rookie

Well-I got my CDL in 1991 and drove OTR and local for 3 years. Then I drove OTR for a private carrier delivering southwest, midwest, and everywhere east of the Mississippi from '94-'98. I then drove cryogenic liquid for BOC Gases for a year. I really liked pulling a tank but my income got too iffy so I went on a dedicated paper account with Schneider. That lasted about 6 months till my wife got sick and I had to get off the road for a little while. I worked on a local account with Swift shuttling trailers between Al/MS for six months until I got on with Averitt Express. I was with Averitt for 5 years until '05 when I went to work for Mercedes Benz assembly plant. I have been driving PT on weekends and holidays for a driver leasing company so its not like I haven't been in a truck. I know thats a lot of info but thats where Im at now.
Thank you:clap::clap:
Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member

So you are looking at what, 3+ years since you last had an OTR or Regional driving job?

If that is correct you are going to find the list of companies that will hire you to be pretty short without going to a CDL school for at least a refresher course and starting as a rookie all over again. If you are wanting to work for a "larger" company then you may very well have to take what you can get. Otherwise you best bet might be to look at small/smaller companies who may be more able and/or willing to view your overall experience and not just what you have been doing in the last 2-3 years.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Rookie

I know someone that USE to drive for PTL key word Use to.. I drive for Werner an im not saying they are the greatest but I do know I do get miles.. Winter is a hard time right now that yes Freight is slow but any load is better then None.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Rookie

thanks for the word on PTL-I know I have to take what I can get-I just can't stomach going back to driving school after 17 years-I re-applied with Averitt telling them I would be willing to drive to Meridian, MS or Nashville, TN once a week and running regional out of there-anybody heard about miles with Averitt?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM

There's a few big to medium sized companies that have a driver refresher courses. I work for Heartland and they have one. I don't know the details on it, never met anyone who went through it.

I've not been here too long myself. I'd look around for companies who have refreshers. You'll find someone who will hire you.