User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heartland Express?

Howdy all, new here.

I've been out of the truck since August. Looking to get back in. Drove for 3 years. I've been looking at Heartland Express. They are on my super-short list, but I want to know more. Here's a few questions:

*Do you get to pick out the terminal you want to run out of (as a regional driver) as long as you live in the driving range for that office, or do you have to take what they assign you? I'm in the radius for 3 terminals, but I want to drive out of Memphis.

*How are the regional miles out of Memphis? Weekly average.

*How is the equipment? What motor/tranny? Good power? Are they at least half way comfortable?

*How are the terminals? Are they clean and well-maintained? Do they have food services, showers, laundry, etc. I worked for Scheider. One this I liked about them was their terminals. At least you could get a meal and a shower.

*How are the customers? Is it really 85% drop and hook?

*How is orientation? Do you have to pay for the room/meals, or is it on their tab? I don't have a very good job, so I can't afford to spend too much money at orientation. How about transportation to? Bus ticket provided? Rental car? Where is the orientation? Different places, or always in Iowa City?

*How are the majority of drivers at Heartland? Are they professional looking and acting drivers? I don't dress up, but I shave my face and wash my clothes from time to time.

Thats about it for me. I'm trying to make an informed decision. I don't want a big argument going on here about if Heartland is good or not. I just want to know the facts and make my own decision.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

PF
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
I don't want a big argument going on here about if Heartland is good or not. I just want to know the facts and make my own decision.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

PF
http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/t...hronicles.html

If you haven't already done it, check out this thread by one of CAD's esteemed posters.......headborg.

There is a poster named Twilight Flyer on here. He can help you with anything you need to know about Heartland.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
There is a poster named Twilight Flyer on here. He can help you with anything you need to know about Heartland.
He's a good driver.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Driver? No.

Good? No one better. :thumbsup:

BTW, I liked your dancing icon enough to add it to our own smiley catalog. :boogey::boogey::boogey:

Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM

I just got off the phone with Twilight Flyer a few minutes ago. I went ahead and filled out the app for Heartland and am working on getting approved and all that. I'm not worried about it. I've got a good history and a good DAC (I think, I've never checked it). Last company I worked for said they'd hire me in a second. But I've moved since I worked for them and they don't think I could get home very often where I live now.

Anyone know anything more about orientation with Heartland? Other than the basic sign your name, take a driving test, etc... I figured every company has the same basic beginners class, but I'd like to know exactly what I need to do when I get there...

Wish me luck. Heartland here I come!!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Well PA...........in that thread that I directed you to, I remember that headborg also described Heartland orientation. I don't remember much of the specifics other than one, and that is...........Dont' be late!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM

I'm going to try not to be. I'm not starting orientation until the first week of December, so I'll have plenty of time to plan my arrival time. I'm never late if its in my control. Always been like that. I hate people that constantly run late for church, appointments, etc. I understand if you need to deliver and there is 3 feet of snow and you show up late due to weather or traffic conditions out of your control, but it shouldn't happen every single time.

When I worked for Schneider there was a guy who was always late delivering. Wal-Mart doesn't do well with late shipments, they'd rather have it 3 hours early than 15 minutes late. Come to find out he'd have to stop at every truck stop and gas station he could fit into to flirt with the girls and goof off. He didn't last long.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
Come to find out he'd have to stop at every truck stop and gas station he could fit into to flirt with the girls and goof off. He didn't last long.

Heck PA, he should consider getting on a fuel hauling gig. That way he could get paid to do all of the above!:lol:

In headborg's blog you will see that he Heartland has 'zero tolerance' for being late at orientation. That's what I was referring to. I'm sure that you will be fine, and wish you the very best. See I told you that Twilight Flyer character would know something about Heartland.

Be sure to keep us posted!

Last edited by belpre122; 11-05-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM

I'll keep you all posted on it. We'll see how everything works out between now and then. I don't think I'll be late. The only thing that concerns me is the Greyhound. It leaves Knoxville 7 mornings a week at 5:30 and gets to Kingsport at 8:35. Now, if orientation starts at 8, then I'm screwed unless I get there on Sunday and sit around all day.

We'll see what happens. I'm waiting for TF to call me back after my application gets approved and we'll see where we go from there. Shouldn't take too long. Hopefully they'll set everything up for my bus ticket, etc.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
Driver? No.

Good? No one better. :thumbsup:

BTW, I liked your dancing icon enough to add it to our own smiley catalog. :boogey::boogey::boogey:

I was hoping that it would have been a while before anyone caught that.

http://watsonsysco.com/