User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Crete's new pet policy

I have no idea what the people in Lincoln are thinking. Had a guy come up to the truck yesterday at the TS who was considering applying at Crete. He told me he had second thoughts because of Crete's new pet policy. I'm thinking "what new pet policy?" So today, at another TS, I was talking to a Shaffer driver who had a dog and told me what the new policy is. First, no new drivers can have a pet, period. Drivers already with the company have until later this month to come up with a $600 deposit or get rid of the pet. But get this, this only works for one year. After that all Crete system trucks will be pet free. At the time you take your pet off the truck $175 of the $600 will be used to clean the truck. The balance will be repaid to the driver at $25/week increments until the balance is repaid.

Who comes up with these nutty ideas? The Shaffer driver had a load going into LA tomorrow and his next load is to the house in Va so he can clean out his truck and quit. I don't know what % of drivers at Crete/Shaffer have pets but I have to believe that most of them will be doing the same thing.

BTW, I contacted the terminal to confirm this and they were surprised that the news had already got out. Apparently the Truckin Bozo was talking about it yesterday.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Thousand to one says it's due to idling. Crete isn't the only one eliminating their pet program and it's due to reducing idling.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Thousand to one says it's due to idling. Crete isn't the only one eliminating their pet program and it's due to reducing idling.
Yeah, what little I could get out of my terminal manager on the subject pointed in that direction.

We already have one of the most restrictive rider policies in the industry, I can't imagine the recruiters are too happy.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Crete's new pet policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
I contacted the terminal to confirm this and they were surprised that the news had already got out.
You didn't get a qcomm message about this around a week ago? The company is going to lose alot of drivers over this one.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Board Icon

I think a lot of it has to do with safety. I have seen news reports of accidents caused by animals getting under the pedals. When I was leased to Graebel, this was the reason given for their no-pet policy.

I suppose also that it would only take one dog biting someone in a truckstop, and Crete would have a lawsuit on their hands.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Crete's new pet policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
I contacted the terminal to confirm this and they were surprised that the news had already got out.
You didn't get a qcomm message about this around a week ago? The company is going to lose alot of drivers over this one.
If I did I missed it. Thing is, other drivers I've talked to today seem surprised as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 AM

This to me is wrong on so many levels, Idling is the first, what about having apu’s? I can understand if your truck doesn’t have one, if not then why not? The driver will idle if it’s too hot/cold so if it’s about idle time get an apu.
Next, the deposit, fair enough, but what kind of BS is it that they will charge $175 to clean your truck (ya, right) then slowly repay you your $$$ 25 bucks at a time, I’m guessing they want that 600 bucks up front in one lump sum?
Excuses for not allowing pets in company trucks are total BS as well, I questioned a recruiter once why his company didn’t allow pets, his response was that once they had a driver who’s dog tore up the interior so now they no longer allow pets…I asked him if they’d ever had a female driver abandon her truck, “why yes” he said, I then asked if they still hire women, “well ya” ever have a white male get a DWI and wreck a truck? “yaaa” “do you still hire white males?” for me It’s about respect for your drivers mental health, go ahead have a $500 deposit but don’t question our intelligence with lame excuses, go ahead tell me I’m meat in the seat, I’ll figure it out eventually.
BTW a reasonable “pets allowed” policy is a requirement for me, did I mention I’ve never taken my dog(s) in the truck with me. :wink:
Too bad, Crete was my second choice and I just left my first.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Board Regular

I think thats kinda crappy. Lotta people rely on their pets for comfort, companionship, etc. but I definately believe they will lose some drivers on this one.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Board Regular
Default Yep

Yea I got that Pet email about a week ago. It would be sad to lose lots of drivers or potential drivers over it. But I would understand, it would upset me too to have to leave a pet at home. Hope it all works out for all affected.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Excuses for not allowing pets in company trucks are total BS as well,
I will completely disagree with that. I think company no-pet policies are by and large the only avenue that companies have left and the right thing to do.

Quote:
I questioned a recruiter once why his company didn’t allow pets, his response was that once they had a driver who’s dog tore up the interior so now they no longer allow pets…
That's only one of the issues. We had a problem like that, too. Had a lady that had a cat. She left her cat in the truck and didn't idle it. The cat absolutely destroyed the interior of the truck trying to get out, before dying of heat exhaustion. It was a pretty bad deal all around - bad for the cat, the lady, and company perception. But trucks getting torn up is only part of the issue. Granted, it doesn't happen a lot but when it happens even once, that's too much.

Idling is a big issue. A lot of companies have been looking at reducing idling and drivers with pets idle much more than those without. And you can't play the APU card anymore because of two reasons. APU's are actually getting banned in some states and at this point, they aren't cost effective for larger carriers. There's still a lot up in the air with APU's right now.

Then there's the customer issue. More and more customers are implementing no pets on the ground policies, even if that pet is crated. Would you feel comfortable putting your dog or cat in a crate and leaving them outside on the sidewalk while you deliver your load?

Along with customers, there's the liability issue. What happens if your dog bites an employee at the customer? What if it's a major account for your carrier? What if it's at a truck stop?

Then there's the growing number of dirtbags that let their pets out to poop in parking lots, on sidewalks, etc. etc. Again, it only takes a few of those idiots to ruin it for the rest of you.

And I don't say this because I am anti-pet. I am a huge animal lover...the only reason I don't have a pair of black labradors running my house right now is because I currently don't have a large enough or fenced in yard for them to run wild in. I love pets...I just don't think the road is the place for them. But that's my personal feelings on it, nothing more. In the end, it's going to be up to the companies and the companies are speaking up right about now.