User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question about CMV classification

Wasn't quite sure what category this would best fit in, so I put it in here, anyway, when looking at the 'power units' and 'number of drivers' fields on FMCSA SafeStat system for a company, what type of vehicle would be required and or listed as a power unit count, and what type of driver would be listed as a driver.

Reason I ask is because a local expediting company is interested in me, and I know they use cargo vans, and straight trucks, though I don't know what else they use. But it got me to thinking, because they say they have 14 vans, and 14 straight trucks, though they only have 11 power units listed, and 12 drivers. Obviously a cargo van would not be classified as a class A or B vehicle, and I don't think 12' and 16' straight truck (uhaul type) would be either, though not sure about a 24', but I don't think so when uhaul has them as well.

I don't know if they even have semi's, although they do advertise they do expedited freight using 10,500lb as an example weight.

I do know they also do brokerage as-well. I am going to call them later today and find out more, but just wondering mainly what the requirements are to have to be listed on SafeStat.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question about CMV classification

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Wasn't quite sure what category this would best fit in, so I put it in here, anyway, when looking at the 'power units' and 'number of drivers' fields on FMCSA SafeStat system for a company, what type of vehicle would be required and or listed as a power unit count, and what type of driver would be listed as a driver.

Reason I ask is because a local expediting company is interested in me, and I know they use cargo vans, and straight trucks, though I don't know what else they use. But it got me to thinking, because they say they have 14 vans, and 14 straight trucks, though they only have 11 power units listed, and 12 drivers. Obviously a cargo van would not be classified as a class A or B vehicle, and I don't think 12' and 16' straight truck (uhaul type) would be either, though not sure about a 24', but I don't think so when uhaul has them as well.

I don't know if they even have semi's, although they do advertise they do expedited freight using 10,500lb as an example weight.

I do know they also do brokerage as-well. I am going to call them later today and find out more, but just wondering mainly what the requirements are to have to be listed on SafeStat.
A Ford Focus can be classified as a CMV, if it is used to courier small items such as envelops or packages across town or between cities.

As for trucks, CDL requirement starts at 26,001 pounds GVWR, OR 53 feet of "Overall" length. If you were driving a Dodge 3500 (One Ton pickup) and pulling a goosneck trailer that had a bed 35 feet long, you would be required to not only have a CDL, it would also need to be a Class A, because of the 53 foot "Overall" length.

In 2002, my brother-in-law was thankful that I made he get a "Class A" when he took the CDL test.
We has started a expediting company, using a 2002 Chevy 2500 Duramax, pulling a gooseneck trailer with 35 feet of deck and a 5 foot tail ramp. One his first run, down to the Bay Area from Seattle, he got pulled over by both Oregon State Police, and Cali. CHP. Both officers checked him for "Class A" CDL, medical card, and log book, all of which he had, because of my insistence. He and my sister wanted to just run it with him holding his regular license, and no log book.
The insurance agency they had arranged the commercial insurance through, told them both he didn't need med Card, Class A or log book.