User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heartland Express?

Just got invited to go to orientation with Heartland (Carlisle PA terminal).

Seems good. .47 a mile (with hazmat which I have) and supposed safety bonus of an additional .01 but I don't count that (it's gravy lol).

Anyway, I drove team for 3.5 years. This is my first time as solo. A bit nervous but not too bad. :wink: Those tandems and adjusting them will be not pretty for awhile until I get into the hang of it (hubby always did that argh). Backing isn't a worry. I can do that well. It ain't pretty but I can do it. :lol: Actually hubby says I back and maneuver better than him. I don't see that but he says it's true.

Been out of driving since april. Want to go back on the road. I don't know why but I miss the heck out of it. Go figure...I think I've lost some of my self-confidence not being on the road all this time. So...

Please, any of you Heartland drivers - give me the skinny. This company seems to be the best out there of the choices I found for dry van freight, pay and everything considered.

Just have to decide now if I go August 10 or August 13 to orientation.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Those .47 cpm are dinosaur miles....meaning HHG. So it's more like .42 cpm when you consider 10-12% of your hub miles are freebies.

Heartland is a short/medium-haul operator. You'll probably only average around 2200-2400 mpw with such an outfit...it's shorter trips, more stops, and more waiting around for loads when you empty out. Trucks are stripped-down to the bare minimum.

They don't pay detention, delay-pay, layover, etc...they have this program called "Heartland cares". Not sure what that means but in my 18 years in this biz, I've never heard of a large trucking company giving a rat's a$$ about their drivers. So take it for what it's worth.

IMHO, Heartland blows and I wouldn't pull for em' unless I was down to my last dollar. 3.5 years experience...why don't you try tankers? Pays alot better and much less BS to deal with. Most of these OTR van-haulers stink. That's why they're always hiring.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Those .47 cpm are dinosaur miles....meaning HHG. So it's more like .42 cpm when you consider 10-12% of your hub miles are freebies.

Oh I know that. But looking around I am not seeing any other companies (HHG or Practical or Hub miles) that are paying even .40 cpm. So it seems to me it's not too bad a deal...

Heartland is a short/medium-haul operator. You'll probably only average around 2200-2400 mpw with such an outfit...it's shorter trips, more stops, and more waiting around for loads when you empty out. Trucks are stripped-down to the bare minimum.

Oh yes I know this too...*sigh*

They don't pay detention, delay-pay, layover, etc...they have this program called "Heartland cares". Not sure what that means but in my 18 years in this biz, I've never heard of a large trucking company giving a rat's a$$ about their drivers. So take it for what it's worth.

I was told about the "Heartland Cares". I knew it was bs when I heard it. LOL You're correct about the big companies. I totally agree. Just figured of the choices that are hiring *right now* this was a better one than most... AND they tell me I'll get home every other weekend. Hmmm I guess that would only be true if it happens

IMHO, Heartland blows and I wouldn't pull for em' unless I was down to my last dollar. 3.5 years experience...why don't you try tankers? Pays alot better and much less BS to deal with. Most of these OTR van-haulers stink. That's why they're always hiring.
You know, I thought of tankers. Hauled helium (liquid) for a year and a half. Would still be doing that if we weren't based out of *yuck* Wyoming. LOL
Thought about food grade tanker... Tanker hauling actually appeals to me. I like that they (at least the helium tanks were) are shorter and it's easier to park them (imho) and NO tandems to mess with.

Any suggestions for tanker companies? I can give them a whirl I suppose.

And thanks for the comments. I do appreciate it.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Twilight Flyer (site admin), is a recruiter for Heartland. Check with him for any info you may need.
Also...headborg (poster on the site and driver for Heartland). Has this thread on this topic.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=32145
Starting on about pg 16
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptruckin
Oh I know that. But looking around I am not seeing any other companies (HHG or Practical or Hub miles) that are paying even .40 cpm. So it seems to me it's not too bad a deal...
.42 cpm looks good, but remember that Heartland does alot of short/medium-haul work. Sure, they'll throw you a long run once in awhile but for the most part it's 200-500 mile runs.

Do you really want to mess with that multi-stop short-haul stuff? More bumping docks, more city driving, more appointments, cut-off times, etc? Empty out, sit there for 3 hours (unpaid), then get a 250 run with 4 hours left on your 14? Trust me, that gets old real quick.

I would go to Crete or Marten and make .40 cpm off practical miles with a higher LOH (Length Of Haul). But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptruckin
.42 cpm looks good, but remember that Heartland does alot of short/medium-haul work. Sure, they'll throw you a long run once in awhile but for the most part it's 200-500 mile runs.

Do you really want to mess with that multi-stop short-haul stuff? More bumping docks, more city driving, more appointments, cut-off times, etc? Empty out, sit there for 3 hours (unpaid), then get a 250 run with 4 hours left on your 14? Trust me, that gets old real quick.

I would go to Crete or Marten and make .40 cpm off practical miles with a higher LOH (Length Of Haul). But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Am I misreading ?

I drive for Marten....they did not offer the option of Practical miles
at anytime during recruiting or orientation...all miles are HHG (rand mcnally)

The offer Straight Pay....or Per Diem (.02 cpm less than Straight pay)

Am i missing something ... :?:
Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
Am I misreading ?

Sorry meant Shaffer, the Acklie reefer division. All them blue trucks tripped me up. :lol:

While we're on the subject tho, why pull for an HHG carrier? Why give 10-12% of your hub miles away for free...on top of all the other OTR freebies? Not saying Practical is the cat's meow...you're still geting screwed....but all else being equal (yeah, I know) it's about 5-7% more money in your pocket at the end of the day.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46
Am I misreading ?

Sorry meant Shaffer, the Acklie reefer division. All them blue trucks tripped me up. :lol:

While we're on the subject tho, why pull for an HHG carrier? Why give 10-12% of your hub miles away for free...on top of all the other OTR freebies? Not saying Practical is the cat's meow...you're still geting screwed....but all else being equal (yeah, I know) it's about 5-7% more money in your pocket at the end of the day.
Yes its painful to run 158 miles and get paid 78 (on one occasion)...and also all the log hours you toss out the window running these kind of miles...
Its a double whammy all the way round.

Marten wouldn't be so bad if it were not for these way short miles they pay out.

Ex:The run on I am now is short by approx 58 miles(Loaded)....empty miles are going to be about 31 short...thats about roughly 2 hours right out the logbook window....no telling how much cash

Really does not speak well of these companies when they dont pay
'Real Miles' or even close to practical miles

Why do I stay ?

I kinda like the APU unit....Im growing old and like to stay cool at night..
any sleep is good sleep on the road.

Last place I worked they world leave you sweltering in a Texas yard for 3 days and then threaten your job for idling too much....then safety would save face by sending out 'stay cool' and 'stay hydrated' messages...

There ya go
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I've spoken to a number of Heartland drivers over the years and the story is pretty consistant from all of them. The company offers a seemingly high per mile rate but its HHG and the drivers average 1500 or so miles a week. Only you can decide if the trade off makes sense. If you figure it out you might be better off making .35 or less per mile if its practical miles and you are getting a steady 3,000 miles per week from the company. A couple of the drivers I've spoken with are happy to run that few miles, it appeals to them for some reason. Most of them werent interested in sitting around waiting for loads and were looking for a different job elsewhere even if it was for less. Me, I'd take less per mile if i was going to run because I'm not much for sitting still and like to keep busy. The company I work for now pays .32 and I get 1,800 miles/week but they are all short runs and I never sit still. Making less money but I'm happy to keep driving, never go near a major city or deliver into one and all the trucks have APU's. Everyone is different. Get out a piece of paper and ask the recruiter what the fleetwide average per week is and the length of haul average for your area. Then figure it up. If the recruiter is kinda vague or wont answer thank him or her for the time and look elsewhere, they should all have this info.