User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I went with Werner......

.......just out of desperation. I needed a job asap and since I missed my training at Watkin Shepard (another one is weeks away) because my blood pressure(which I just checked, Its normal now), I had to go with Werner. Roehl was my 2nd choice but training starts in May which I need a job before than. US Xpress was on the list but for some reason everytime I fax them something they never get it. So out of convience and desperation I went with Werner. Hope its not too bad..... :shock: Also I notice Werner uses those boxy Peterbilt styles. Are those harder to drive than the shorter sloped nose. It seems like you'll have to judge your turns even more.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: I went with Werner......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmrtt
Roehl was my 2nd choice
I don't think roehl is much better than werner.

I believe werner only gives the pete 387's to more "experienced" drivers. And yes it's harder to back those up compared to a century class.

Please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey ericmrtt,

I believe Drew10 drives for them, check with him on things.

Just a thought, you already decided to go with them

sometimes it's nice to get help from someone inside the company, besides that He's smart.
:lol:
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Werner gives what trucks are available to drivers - they don't look at how much experience a driver has. Or what their training was in.

I saw them give fresh off the training truck people the KW900l, Classic XL's, and the long nose Pete's on a number of occassions.

All I got to say is good luck.

BTW, I did drive for Werner.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Board Member

ericmrtt wrote:
Quote:
So out of convience and desperation I went with Werner. Hope its not too bad.....
Well...you could do worse. Any company you go to will have pros and cons associated with it. Depends on which driver you ask and when you ask.
As a 48state driver, Werners pay package definitly needs updating. It really is one of the lowest in the industry. More than likely you will be assigned as a 48state driver after training. Im also suspecting that this time of the year and mostly the economy 48state freight is really slow. From some reliable "inside" information Ive been told that newly qualified drivers are not being assigned trucks at this time due to the slow freight, as the company is probably barely keeping a majority of there drivers busy. Possibly by the time you complete your orientation and the training program the economy may be picking up enough to get the drivers assigned trucks.
I would also recommend that you find a good dedicated account to run on, some generally pay more and will keep you continuosly running.

Quote:
Also I notice Werner uses those boxy Peterbilt styles. Are those harder to drive than the shorter sloped nose. It seems like you'll have to judge your turns even more.
Dont fret over the style of the truck, you will adapt to its ability to turn in short order. Maybe your trainers truck will be a long nose, to give you time to adapt and practice. Also it is possible to "request" the style of truck you prefer, if available Fleet assignments could put you in one.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to add to you thread or PM me. Im generally on the board every night, and occassionally during the day.

Trukrswyfe wrote:
Quote:
I believe Drew10 drives for them, check with him on things.

Just a thought, you already decided to go with them

sometimes it's nice to get help from someone inside the company, besides that He's smart.
Awww Shucks TW ops: ....Your alright....
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

double post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Board Regular

Phil McCracken has an ax to grind about Roehl. Werner is a very large company. I interviewed for a dispatch job with them and by the end of the interview I had a rather bad taste in my mouth about them. Was very glad that I did not get the job.

If you find you don't like Werner after you get your training then talk with Roehl. Often times is isn't the company that has the problems but the attitude of the driver. I'm not saying that companies don't have problems but sometimes is just isn't a good fit for a driver. I drove for Roehl and found them for the most part to be a good company for the first 1-2 years. Drew10 says it right in that driver's attitude varies from day to day with a company. There were some days I was ready to walk away from Roehl. Other days I enjoyed my time with them.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
Phil McCracken has an ax to grind about Roehl.
Wow you're very perceptive. Yeah I disliked them so much I spent time and money putting together a website for roehl drivers (roehldriver.com)

Don't like people expressing their opinions I see. :roll:
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Board Regular

Phil McCracken...I don't mind your opinion but sometimes it comes across rather harsh and gratting on the nerves. Yes, I know you put a web site up for Roehl drivers did but did you put the web site up before or after you left Roehl? Thanks for giving drivers a spot to discuss the company. It is unfortunate that you started having problems with spam and had to shut it down but maybe it's better now that you are with Crete. I'm have no intention of getting into an all out word war with you over your opinions of Roehl.

Roehl does have good and bad points to it like any company does. I would not put Werner and Roehl on the same rung of the ladder, however. Personally I wouldn't want to run for Crete due to their hometime policy even at their cents/mile but that's my decision.

New drivers need to be given the good and bad of companies. You didn't like Roehl when you left but it doesn't make it all that bad of a company. I had my gripes about certain things with them too but I still will not trash Roehl completely but try to educate a new driver on things to be careful about when looking then over.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Default Re: I went with Werner......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmrtt
.......just out of desperation. I needed a job asap and since I missed my training at Watkin Shepard (another one is weeks away) because my blood pressure(which I just checked, Its normal now), I had to go with Werner. Roehl was my 2nd choice but training starts in May which I need a job before than. US Xpress was on the list but for some reason everytime I fax them something they never get it. So out of convience and desperation I went with Werner. Hope its not too bad..... :shock:
In a perfect world, nobody would pull for these cut-rate sweatshop outfits like Werner, England, Prime, FedEx Ground, etc. Then wages would go up across the board and we would all reap the spoils. But this isn't a perfect world and you've gotta do what you gotta do I guess to put food on the table. The only advice I can offer is to get your 6 months or 1 year of clean driving in and then run for the hills to greener pastures.

Quote:
Also I notice Werner uses those boxy Peterbilt styles. Are those harder to drive than the shorter sloped nose. It seems like you'll have to judge your turns even more.
In the city, yes. The wheelbase on those rigs is longer than say a Volvo but you can compensate somewhat by adjusting your fifth wheel...if Werner allows it. Just watch when things get tight or you'll look like all the other training company trucks with their batwings twisted to hell.