User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Preparing for School

OK, I think I got everything i need. I got a new map, logbook template, alarm clock, flash light, work gloves, the pen,pencil and paper, my ipod, camera, Garmin GPS, dvd movies, computer, clothes and bedding, all my required documents, CB, thermos and coffee and copenhagen and last but not least the plane ticket. If anyone can suggest anything else feel free to let me know.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM

KEEP ME POSTED GOOD LUCK!! :shock: BTW? Who is ur recruiter! im workin w/ GABBY!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio joe
KEEP ME POSTED GOOD LUCK!! :shock: BTW? Who is ur recruiter! im workin w/ GABBY!
I am working with Lou ann She seems really nice and is plesant to work with. I started talking with Katrina the Senior recruiter then Cassie to finish up the paperwork package, now i am with Louann aka Lou she will be the one i see when i get to dallas for final processing.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Rookie
Default Update

I made the final call this morning to Stevens. I think I have everything ready to go. Last night my girl friend and I got a running buddy for me when i go solo. She is a chiuaua named tinker bell aka "tink" or tinkie since she is really small. She might get to be 3lbs. I will have to pay the pet deposit but thats ok. She will stay at home until i can get by the house to pick her up. Well thats it for now i will update tomarrow after i get to Dallas and get settled in.

John.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

you will need a tv and dvd player to watch your movies on.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM

I wouldn't rush out and get a C.B or T.V until you are finished with your trainer.He will have his own.Take as little as possible because room will be limited with two in a truck.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

All I took along with me during training was a small bag for clothes and toiletries (sp?). Oh yeah and a couple of pillows and a blanket.

Believe me, they will run your a$$ off. You won't get many opportunities to shower and change. They will most likely run you as a team.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
you will need a tv and dvd player to watch your movies on.
I will get that when i go solo. for now i have my laptop and it plays movies. What i was meaning was for school and my training.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Rookie
Default Update

I left the house at 8 am Saturday and everything went smoothly to the airport, the flight is another story. I landed about 4pm in Dallas and had to wait for about 45 min on my ride to the Hotel. The driver had a Toyota SUV and it was pretty full from picking up other Stevens employees. I found out that Stevens uses two hotels a Howard Johnson’s that didn’t look to bad and the Crossland Extended stay where I am currently at. It’s not a bad place just very basic it has a kitchenette, cable and two twin beds. The room is small but so is the sleeper of a truck. My room mate is cool his name is Henry, he is from Pine Bluff Arkansas he is also a fellow student. The Hotel does have Wifi it costs 6 dollars and is good for your entire stay. I will probably be here for 3 wks so 6 bucks is a good deal.

Today Sunday the 20th we went to the terminal for the study hall. I didn't have to stay for very long because i have my CDL already so i took the opportunity to have a little look around. They have a lot of T2000's they all look nice on the outside but i didn't have the chance to look on the inside yet. I see that they still run some T600 and a couple of century class freight shakers but are phasing them out. There are some 387 pete's and a new T660 but are for the contract division. It is overall a nice facility and they have a separate drivers building that has laundry facilities, pool tables, phone room, a lounge room complete with big screen TV. So far in the class is rather small. there is 16 with me and about the same in the class that came a week prior. There is a big lots to get some basic need items when you first get here and they make a weekly trip to wal-mart on Sundays. you have to sign in every day so that the hotel knows you are still with them. They do have some basic rules while you are here they are as follows

1. You must sign in daily

2. All rooms are non-smoking unless your room mate is a smoker then you can smoke in the room only two trainee's per room.

3.breakfast is from 5:30 to 7:15 am, keep in mind that the first bus leaves at 5:30 so plan accordingly.

4. No alcohol consumption while staying at the crosslands hotel.

5. no pets are allowed.

pretty much that is it.

After a couple of days you can sign for meal money and it will be deducted from your future pay keep that in mind if you are going that route, i myself brought plenty to get me thru. I guess my day will be starting at 7 am tomorrow so i will sign off for now and i will update again tomorrow night.

John.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyinidaho
Today Sunday the 20th we went to the terminal for the study hall. I didn't have to stay for very long because i have my CDL already so i took the opportunity to have a little look around. They have a lot of T2000's they all look nice on the outside but i didn't have the chance to look on the inside yet. I see that they still run some T600 and a couple of century class freight shakers but are phasing them out. There are some 387 pete's and a new T660 but are for the contract division. It is overall a nice facility and they have a separate drivers building that has laundry facilities, pool tables, phone room, a lounge room complete with big screen TV. So far in the class is rather small. there is 16 with me and about the same in the class that came a week prior. There is a big lots to get some basic need items when you first get here and they make a weekly trip to wal-mart on Sundays. you have to sign in every day so that the hotel knows you are still with them. They do have some basic rules while you are here they are as follows

1. You must sign in daily

2. All rooms are non-smoking unless your room mate is a smoker then you can smoke in the room only two trainee's per room.

3.breakfast is from 5:30 to 7:15 am, keep in mind that the first bus leaves at 5:30 so plan accordingly.

4. No alcohol consumption while staying at the crosslands hotel.

5. no pets are allowed.

pretty much that is it.

After a couple of days you can sign for meal money and it will be deducted from your future pay keep that in mind if you are going that route, i myself brought plenty to get me thru. I guess my day will be starting at 7 am tomorrow so i will sign off for now and i will update again tomorrow night.

John.
Hi John,

I am a recent grad from a mill up here in Maine, and will be leaving tomorrow for my 2 1/2 day bus ride to Dallas. Maybe I'll see you there, my orientation starts this Sunday.