User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Teaming @ Covenant

Has anyone here had any experiences that were good with Covenant??? My friend and I are looking at possible becoming a team and we looked at them but I haven't heard very much about Covenant and what I have heard has been moderately to heavily negative. I have a CDL with no experience and he had finished training at Swift then was solo for 2 weeks before he left. Anyways, any input is appreciated. This is just something were considering not a definite thing. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Any company that posts their religious beliefs on their trailers is worth avoiding like the plague IMO.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Posting their religious beliefs on their trailers is hardly a reason to avoid a company. What are you afraid of anyway? Having said that I would not drive for Covenant if they were the last company on earth. Religion has nothing to do with it.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 AM

It is to me and if I ever was to ship anything by truck I would not even consider Covenant just for that reason.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farder
Covenant
Last year the company tried to get all there drivers to sign off on a form saying that they wouldn't be covered under the workers compensation act. The government put a stop to it.

They are bottom feeders.

Complaint Calls Tenn. Firm's Workers' Comp Waiver Form Illegal
By Bill Poovey
April 12, 2007

Send Feedback E-mail this Article Print this Article Article Reprints
Acting on a complaint by Tennessee labor officials, a judge temporarily blocked Covenant Transport Inc. from having employees sign a fake form that purports to waive their workers' compensation benefits.

A chancery judge ordered Covenant, described on its Web site as a publicly traded, "faith-based,'' trucking company, to stop using or distributing to employees the form.

The order directs the Chattanooga-based company to stop using the form entitled "notice of waiver by employee for benefits provided by the Tennessee workers' compensation law.''

Chancery Judge Frank Brown's temporary order, signed last week, also enjoins the company from violating the state workers' compensation law. Records show Brown set an April 24 hearing.

David Parker, Covenant's chairman and chief executive, could not be reached for comment. Attorneys for the company did not return a telephone message seeking comment.
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development spokeswoman Milissa Reierson referred questions about the complaint to the state attorney general's office.

"Under Tennessee law, there are no general waivers permissable,'' Reierson said. "The attorney general is handling this for us and we are working with them.''

Tennessee attorney general spokeswoman Sharon Curtis-Flair said she could not comment on pending litigation.

The workers' compensation law requires employers to "pay and accept compensation for personal injury or death by accident arising out of and in the course of employment without regard to fault as a cause of the injury or death,'' the complaint shows.

The complaint says the trucking company refused to stop using or distributing the waiver to its employees and described it as "purposely misleading and unlawfully designed to circumvent the workers' compensation law.''

The civil complaint contends that on or about June 30, 2006, a state labor official learned that Covenant executives had presented to an employee a form waiving workers' compensation benefits. The form was purported to be issued by the Tennessee Department of Labor/Division of Workers' Compensation.

A state investigation showed other Covenant employees were also either presented with, or signed, the waiver form created by Covenant, the complaint shows.

The company's Web site shows it has 5,100 drivers and associates.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i heard landspan is a good team company.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM

farder wrote:
Any company that posts their religious beliefs on their trailers is worth avoiding like the plague; It is to me and if I ever was to ship anything by truck I would not even consider Covenant just for that reason.

What a puny & insignificant brain...

Why is a statement about allowing kids to not be murdered a religious statement, maybe it is just a moral statement, JMHO

No I don't drive for Covenant and really would not for a host of other reasons, they have many many problems that need to be corrected, but your statement is just ridiculous!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
i heard landspan is a good team company.
I hear them on the radio all the time looking for drivers...Why are there drivers leaving?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 PM

I find it laughable that someone calling themselves "truckerpreacher" resorts to name calling when someone else voices a different opinion than theirs. Where's your God now? Does s/he approve of your name calling?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:38 PM